Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2004 Outback Sport. My big dilemma now is, what to do first?

The stock stereo will be ripped out in the next couple of days, but after that, I'm stuck. What would you recommend as "must do" projects? I've thought about doing a swaybar and maybe a new intake....not planning on new rims right now, cuz I actually like the alloys that came with the car.

Thoughts?

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I agree the rims are fine. Not "bling" but decent looking alloys. I would consider the sway bar, but do it in conjunction with new tires. Those are the biggest deficiencies IMO. Too much body roll, and when you eliminate the roll with the larger bar it will really make the crappy RE-92s work hard. Those things are awful in rain btw. The exhaust is also an option.

What do you want out of the car?

Mayb drive the car a bit and see what it is you think it is lacking. Sorta figure out what exactly you want out of it.

·
Registered
MY04 OBS
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the very short time that I've been driving the car, the one thing that I'm really not used to is the cornering. There seems to be a lot of understeer compared to any other car I've driven. I thought that the sway bar would help to correct this. A friend also mentioned getting a strut bar, but I haven't looked into that at all.

Horsepower is decent (but I could always use a tiny bit more). I'm never going to take the car to the track or a rally, so I'm not planning to do a lot of performace/suspension changes...just a few to make the car feel like it's mine.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Yes, the larger bar will decrease body roll and understeer, but not eliminate either. Doing this will make the tires work harder and make their suckitude more noticeable. :D There are many aftermarket vendors of those bars. Another option is finding a used 02 or 03 WRX sedan rear sway bar from with the bushings. Those are 20mm and I think is a decent, cheap upgrade as opposed to getting the aftermarket one's that are usually 22-24 adjustable.

Adding aftermarket endlinks and possibly mounting brackets is not a bad idea either when upgrading the bar. This is what actually connects the bar to the vehicles chassis. The larger bar will add more stress to the OEM parts. The OEM links are rubber.

I have not seen much evidence to suggest that that the rear tower braces will do much. Someone else might be able to comment on that.

My set up is a 2002 WRX sedan rear sway bar and Whiteline Anodized solid endlinks.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Definitely upgrade the rear sway bar. I put a WRX rear wagon 17mm on my MY02 OBS and it made a world of difference. And as for a intake, Cobb Tuning makes an awesome one. Then we can talk exhaust, lightened crank pulley... Brian

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
dumbass said:
In the very short time that I've been driving the car, the one thing that I'm really not used to is the cornering. There seems to be a lot of understeer compared to any other car I've driven. I thought that the sway bar would help to correct this. A friend also mentioned getting a strut bar, but I haven't looked into that at all.

Are you coming from a FWD car? I did, and at first I thought the handling of the OBS was sloppy. All it took was some time lettting the car do the driving, instead of trying to drive it. ( I think I coined this as the Zen of AWD). Learn how it wants to enter and leave turns- learn how the weight shifts (the body roll is a real big clue). you can really push this car in stock form and have some real fun without getting too sideways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts