Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago my engine went out in my 07 Outlback and I was told by my local mechanic that it would cost approx. $5k for a short-block replacement. We ended up buying another car (the wife wasn't a big fan of the Outback) and since...the car has languished (covered) in the driveway with the intent to sell, but never got around to it.

Some context: good condition inside and out, approx. 100k miles.

Fast forward a few years and I'm considering my options. I have been considering buying a used car for around-town drive and I have one sitting in my driveway, albeit broken.

1) Sell it.
2) Donate it.
3) Replace the engine.
4) Get the engine rebuilt (I can't do it myself. I'm not a car person).

Money is not really the issue. I'm just not sure if the cost/effort is worth the hassle. Also, having sat around for a couple of year, I'm sure there will have to be other things replaced.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
define "went out",

is this a plain 2.5, a 3.0, or a 2.5 turbo?

$5000 seems oddly high....for any estimate.

options: a used long block out of a rear end wreck. that you can hear and watch run.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Sell it or donate it. I suspect few potential buyers would consider an inoperable vehicle to be in "good" condition.

Reactions: GoonersBlueWagon

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
159 Posts
My two cents.........

If you really enjoyed driving the Subie, and it only has 100k on the odometer, and is in great shape otherwise, just replace the engine and drive it another 100k (with proper maintenance).

If you find a car that you enjoy more -- for what it costs to replace the motor (definitely shop around for a cheaper short block and compare options), then buy it. Put the Subie up for sale for a $1k off blue book and go from there. Be prepared to at least replace the timing belt in just about anything with over 100k miles that will fall into that price range.

Not sure where you live, but if you are where ice and snow are common, keep that in mind as well.

Good Luck

·
Registered
'07 Outback 3.0R LL Bean, '74 BMW 2002, '65 Datsun L320, '99 Land Cruiser
199 Posts
I’d put it in classifieds (craigslist and FB marketplace and list it at 1k or so, and see what offers you get. Someone more car-guy like may want to do what others are saying, and rebuild or drop in an engine and go. You could probably make decent money by selling parts on ebay or here, but that’s a lot of work and needs some car knowledge.
Also, to get rid of it quick, see what offers you can get from local junkyards and scrap metal places. Some guys in classifieds may offer you a hundred or so bucks for it, then drag it to scrappers and make a couple hundred more. If you took it to scrappers yourself, you’d make a lot more. I just helped deal with a friends camry that had been run out of oil a couple times. Known good scrapyard offered 160 if they had to come 10 miles to pick it up, but said he’d get more if he limped it to them. He drove it overheating and down a couple cylinders, and it took them 5 minutes to give 327 cash for it based on weight. You could use someone’s free AAA tow to do the same.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Need more info.

Which engine do you have? What "went out"? Where are you located?

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
Put it up on the classifieds on the forum, along with pictures. You might get lucky and find another Soobie enthusiast that will take it off your hands for more than scrap price.

Otherwise, find a local mechanic who would do an engine swap for reasonable price and find yourself a JDM engine and get the car drivable again.

Another option is to donate the car. I understand you can take a tax deduction that makes this somewhat attractive option.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
About 2 years ago my engine went out in my 07 Outlback and I was told by my local mechanic that it would cost approx. $5k for a short-block replacement. We ended up buying another car (the wife wasn't a big fan of the Outback) and since...the car has languished (covered) in the driveway with the intent to sell, but never got around to it.

Some context: good condition inside and out, approx. 100k miles.

Fast forward a few years and I'm considering my options. I have been considering buying a used car for around-town drive and I have one sitting in my driveway, albeit broken.

1) Sell it.
2) Donate it.
3) Replace the engine.

Money is not really the issue. I'm just not sure if the cost/effort is worth the hassle. Also, having sat around for a couple of year, I'm sure there will have to be other things replaced.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
1) Sell it.
2) Donate it.
3) Replace the engine.
First you should determine what's wrong with the original engine exactly.

Any of the first 3 options, whatever you feel like doing.
Ignore option #4 for Subaru's. It's not cost effective and the chances for a debacle are high.

#3 - car-part.com or get a JDM engine off ebay (particularly if it's a 6 cylinder).
$1,500 engine + $1,000 install + additional parts = $2,500 is a great deal for a 2007 low mileage outback.

If it's a 4 cylinder - install a complete Aisin timing belt kit and new thermostat (cost should be included in the $1,000 rough estimate for "install + additional parts".

If it's a 6 cylinder - before it's installed replace:
New serpentine pulley bearings on both pulleys
New oil cooler gasket
New valve cover gasket
New spark plugs
(again cost of all these should be included in the $1,000 install + additional parts rough estimate above.

Do that and you've got a great 100,000 mile vehicle.

#2 is great if you have any local connections - you could help someone out or look for someone willing to help someone out. I've given away a few Subaru' over the years and helped people in other ways with Subaru's and it's a great opportunity, but can be hard to find a good fit.

I'm sure there will have to be other things replaced.
Subaru's respond well after sitting for only 2 years, not a big deal.
New battery and Brake attention (specifically as stated below):

Brakes: Clean and regrease brake slide pins with Sil-Glyde (generic brake grease isn't very good) and replace the pad clips (a common problem area that's never replaced even on normal daily drivers - they're cheap only $25 from Subaru and I'd want to replace them on a car that sat this long).

This is wise maintenance anyway and after sitting I'd just do them.

The rust on the rotors will eventually wear off, no big deal, seen it/done it zillions of times - watching it happen on my rear tribeca rotor right now.
Or just have them resurfaced at a shop - $15 per rotor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts