Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002,Sonata,2.4l
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to everyone.....new to this forum....did pretty good search before cooked new thread.....couldn't find anything
Is there any difference between 05-07 and 08-09? i mean technically....
what should i look for when i buying it?
i know that engine is bullet proof :) head gasket prob is gone...?!
how about suspension?
english not my first language so please be nice :)
is it worth to look for one with navi?
tnx in advance

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
hi to everyone.....new to this forum....did pretty good search before cooked new thread.....couldn't find anything
Is there any difference between 05-07 and 08-09? i mean technically....
what should i look for when i buying it?
I would make sure you don't get any of the "shakers". i forget exact dates but it's around 2010...maybe 2009. i'd check into that issue and avoid any possible shakers.

i know that engine is bullet proof :) head gasket prob is gone...?!
it's not gone - it simply never existed in the H6 engines. surprisingly all 4 of Subaru's 6 cylinder engines (sizes) in the past 25 years have been amazing motors capable of high miles. and they are now a staple and not just in some niche, rare, model.

how about suspension?
do you mean maintenance or performance wise? depending on driving conditions struts need replaced, they're wear/maintenance items like brake pads, etc so they'll need replaced at some point. or if you mean how do they perform...folks do upgrade struts or rear sway bars, particularly in wagons to stiffen up the rides. if you're into firmer rides then you'll notice it more. for instance - if you're coming from driving a BMW you're going to hate the way the Outback handles, if you're used to old trucks then it'll feel like NASCAR. if it bothers you, get new struts first to get an OEM ride, then decide if you want stiffer sway bars or springs later. suspension smart people here can guide you, i'm not into performance so im' not well versed in it. there's a dedicated suspension forum here with lots of good folks.

2006's have rear wheel bearing issues...I would assume there's bleed over to other years but maybe it is just 2006's?

2005's (i think maybe it's 2006's) have issues with P0420 code (which is a debacle in and of itself across all makes, not just Subaru's...anyway) - Subaru's fix is to reflash the ECU. not sure if that's a recall or what but look into it if you get a 2005.

is it worth to look for one with navi?
tnx in advance
personal preference. i consider NAVI pointless but obviously many new car buyers like it.

good luck!

·
Registered
2002,Sonata,2.4l
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tnx for input.....i will chck on those links......i was thinking how reliable is suspension......brake pads, rotors, liquids......it's regular maintanance.....skip that

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
suspension, the struts would be the maintenance items.

as for reliability - rarely have issues. there's an occasional end link that breaks or front sway bar or warn bushing. but that's uncommon. i'd be surprised if you needed anything like that by 200,000 miles and it's all inexpensive and benign if you do. Subaru's in general have never had extensive suspension issues or necessary work for decades...i'm actually surprised you're asking, i don't know that i've ever heard that question. does that mean some manufacturers do have extensive suspension maintenance/repairs? (i'm completely unfamiliar with anything but Subaru).

There are a few specific issues like 1996 legacy's are known to have front springs break. 2000-ish has broken front sway bars. Nothing 2008 comes to mind, but 200,000 miles with only replacing struts is fairly normal for a Subaru with an outlier here and there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts