Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i SE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 out back, and I don't know what type of motor it is. How do you find out. I know it's a small 4 cylinder motor, but it's still fast as ****. I have had no problem with it at all. I see models like H SP I really don't know all the motor types. Does anyone know what you can learn from a VIN number?:confused: OK thanks

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,447 Posts
The vin can decode it, and there are websites to do the lookup work for you. Have a google. You can also tell by looking at the car- H6 badges on the cars with the EZ30 flat 6, hood scoops and XT badges on the ones with the turbo flat 4, and cars with neither are the 2.5 NA flat four. These were the only 3 engines offered in the USA between 2005-2009.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I have a 09 out back, and I don't know what type of motor it is. How do you find out. I know it's a small 4 cylinder motor, but it's still fast as ****. I have had no problem with it at all. I see models like H SP I really don't know all the motor types. Does anyone know what you can learn from a VIN number?:confused: OK thanks
Look under the hood and you should find a tag with the VIN, paint code, transmission model, etc. The engine model will also be there.

You probably have the base non-turbo four cylinder engine. Fast compared to what...a beat up 1980s Honda Civic? People typically don't use the word "fast" to describe an Outback with the base four cylinder in it. Heck, I wouldn't even consider my 212 HP H6 Outback to be "fast." :D

You could have the turbo-4, which is pretty quick, but I don't think there was ever an XT Outback branded "special edition."

Reactions: our2ndlovedone

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Simple. One: does it have a hood scoop? If so its a 2.5XT 4 cyl turbocharged engine. Two: on the rear hatch does it say 2.5XT? If so you have a turbo also. If there is no hood scoop and Pzev on the tailgate you gave a 2.5 fuel injected 4 cyl. Pzev means you would have a flex fuel version

Steve

·
Registered
08 Outback 2.5 Limited
16 Posts
Careful there HDSkull....PZEV does not mean flex fuel. We don't want people filling up with e85 and voiding their warranties!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts