Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 H6 that I purchased back in June. I checked the options list over on cars101 and mine does not seem to fall into any of the categories. The vin is 4s3bh896817643003, which shows a trim level of H6 VDC. I do not have a VDC light on the instrument cluster, do I actually have VDC?. Also, I have black leather interior which does not show as an option. I have a single CD player with tweeters, but not the McIntosh system. It seems that I have a bit of a hybrid between LLBean, VDC, and Limited. This is a Canadian car.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
found 2 on-line vin decoders that show that VIN as having VDC

maybe find a dealer - possibly in Canada, that would confirm.

I THINK your ECU will have a distinctly different part number too. VDC is a weird animal.

·
Registered
02 OBW LLbean H6
300 Posts
hmm this is the 3rd one this week...

i myself have somewhat a similar problem i have an LLbean with VDC in which is not supposed to have VDC... did subaru screw up somewhere?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I checked the options list over on cars101 and mine does not seem to fall into any of the categories. .
is that only US market info, CA may differ?

The vin is 4s3bh896817643003, which shows a trim level of H6 VDC. I do not have a VDC light on the instrument cluster, do I actually have VDC?.
Car ever wrecked?

McIntosch can disappear since they are failure prone and expensive - easier to put a cheaper Subaru unit in place.

Light could be missing if the intstrument cluster was ever swapped for another (rare to expect that though).

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
If you want to confirm VDC or not its easy. Open the fuse box under the hood and insert a 10A fuse in the " fwd" slot that should be empty. The box lid is marked. The slot resides in the corner by itself next to a relay. Then start the car. A light should come on that says " VDC OFF" on the lower left of the cluster.

You could also play around with it a bit. With the VDC off, it retains AWD, but without the traction and torque assist from the computers. You could get the car really dirty with all wheels slinging mud at full throttle. Nothing better than a muddy Subie.

Does it have the single VDC badges on the front fenders?

Mine doesn't have the Mc system any longer either. That head unit is $1500 to replace and I haven't found anyone capable of repairing them. No one has been able to decipher the codes the head unit pops up either. So out it went.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Reports have also been that on VDC cars the FWD fuse position has a small plastic block placed in the position so a fuse cannot be inserted.

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are no VDC badges anywhere on the car, just H6 3.0 on front and back. I just went out to the car. The underside of the fues box says FWD(VDC Off). I inserted a fuse and I get a red FWD light on the right side of the instrument panel. I believe that this means that I do not have VDC. To be quite honest, I am not concerned whatsoever. I am mostly curious as to what H6 version I have.

It is possible that the McIntosh unit was replaced, but everything seems to be original to the car.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
I believe only the '02 and newer VDCs have the fuse blocked because they have the off switch. If it had a Mcintosh system you should have an amp under the passenger seat and a 6x9 sub sticking out of the rear parcel shelf.

-Tim

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,061 Posts
Back when I first got my H6 base model, and was getting insurance on it, it kept coming up as a VDC based on the VIN. It is NOT a VDC. I went thru a lot of grief getting it properly classified with the insurance company. This was important because insurance was pricier on the VDC models. And my insurance cards called it a UDC model for a long time.

Too many TLAs!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
Back when I first got my H6 base model, and was getting insurance on it, it kept coming up as a VDC based on the VIN. It is NOT a VDC. I went thru a lot of grief getting it properly classified with the insurance company. This was important because insurance was pricier on the VDC models. And my insurance cards called it a UDC model for a long time.

Too many TLAs!
yeah, some decoders show my wife's car as LL Bean, it isn't . I think the biggest issue is to find the decoder for the year your model came out.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Reports have also been that on VDC cars the FWD fuse position has a small plastic block placed in the position so a fuse cannot be inserted.
No, it looks like its a block out but it isn't. That yellow plastic rail is a support for the box and the relays. A fuse will go in.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
There are no VDC badges anywhere on the car, just H6 3.0 on front and back. I just went out to the car. The underside of the fues box says FWD(VDC Off). I inserted a fuse and I get a red FWD light on the right side of the instrument panel. I believe that this means that I do not have VDC. To be quite honest, I am not concerned whatsoever. I am mostly curious as to what H6 version I have.

It is possible that the McIntosh unit was replaced, but everything seems to be original to the car.
The H6 models were either LLBean or VDC. Both cars were identical with the exception of the LLBean two tone leather seats and base model style stereo systems while the VDC had the VDC upgrades, single tone leather, AWD all the time regardless of VDC on or off with 45/55 torque split, and the ever unpopular when it goes out expensive to replace head unit McIntosh 11 speaker sound system.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,061 Posts
The H6 models were either LLBean or VDC. Both cars were identical with the exception of the LLBean two tone leather seats and base model style stereo systems while the VDC had the VDC upgrades, single tone leather, AWD all the time regardless of VDC on or off with 45/55 torque split, and the ever unpopular when it goes out expensive to replace head unit McIntosh 11 speaker sound system.

My base model is neither VDC nor LLBean.

No McIntosh either....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts