Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
End of August I picked up my '18 OB Ltd which had a 45 day temporary registration sticker. Time went by and at day 55 I realized my temporary was 10 days expired. After taking a day to reach the right person at the dealership, the title clerk, I was advised that at day 44 NY DMV rejected the paperwork, and the dealer had to resubmit. The problem is that nobody at the dealer told me, nor sent me an additional temporary, and I was driving around for 10 days with an expired temporary, making it an unregistered vehicle, which an attorney friend tells me could get me arrested if pulled over. A week later a permanent registration arrived via the dealer, with not so much as a note. When I first discovered the problem I was irate and contacted the general manager, who I email and phone tagged with, and he promised to take care of me at my first service visit, and to follow up to find out what happened. I have heard nothing since. What would you expect from your dealer in this situation, and for any dealer personnel on here, what is the appropriate way to handle this from a dealer or SOA perspective? I have not yet contacted SOA. Thank you for any insights. BTW I am very happy with the vehicle, but for the obvious need for a head end unit software update.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl, 2019 Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2017 Impreza 2.0i CVT, 2016 WRX 6MT ST2 FF
56 Posts
I can recall three occasions where my perm plates or the paper work to go and get the plates extended beyond temporary tag period. Two of them were for used cars, which can have more problems in getting the title from the lien holder. In none of the cases did the dealer let me know that there was a delay along with sending me new temporary tags.

I dropped by the dealer and asked for new temporary tags. They acknowledged the delay and gave me the tags.

I also keep the sales documents with me in the car in case the temp tag is stolen, blows off or otherwise is deficient.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,307 Posts
End of August I picked up my '18 OB Ltd which had a 45 day temporary registration sticker. Time went by and at day 55 I realized my temporary was 10 days expired. After taking a day to reach the right person at the dealership, the title clerk, I was advised that at day 44 NY DMV rejected the paperwork, and the dealer had to resubmit. The problem is that nobody at the dealer told me, nor sent me an additional temporary, and I was driving around for 10 days with an expired temporary, making it an unregistered vehicle, which an attorney friend tells me could get me arrested if pulled over. A week later a permanent registration arrived via the dealer, with not so much as a note. When I first discovered the problem I was irate and contacted the general manager, who I email and phone tagged with, and he promised to take care of me at my first service visit, and to follow up to find out what happened. I have heard nothing since. What would you expect from your dealer in this situation, and for any dealer personnel on here, what is the appropriate way to handle this from a dealer or SOA perspective? I have not yet contacted SOA. Thank you for any insights. BTW I am very happy with the vehicle, but for the obvious need for a head end unit software update.
Seems the problem was resolved the way the dealership normally handles such issues. You are not going to change normal procedure. At this point do nothing more.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
I'd more curious as to WHY the DMV rejected the registration. If all the info on the submission was accurate there should have been no reason for it, meaning either you filled out something wrong or the dealer messed up the submission in some way. With all of the vehicles my family has purchased in NY over the years, I don't recall anyone saying something like this happened.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,307 Posts
I had a problem with getting my plate sticker for my 2017 Outback. When the dealer found out it was their problem they hand walked it through the DMV and delivered the plate sticker to my home. :)

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,148 Posts
Vote with your feet.

·
Read Only
453 Posts
Nothing personal, but its your responsibility to make sure you have a valid registration and inspection. Its kind of like saying you did not pay the credit card bill because you never received the statement in the mail. Your car, your registration, your problem. I would have called the dealer on day 30 (15 days ahead of time) and asked for the status. Something as important as this should have warranted a phone call on your part.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,351 Posts
Nothing personal, but its your responsibility to make sure you have a valid registration and inspection.
Yes, that's certainly the way that the law sees it.

However, the OP paid the dealer to do this for him, either directly or indirectly, and furthermore in every state DMV I'm aware of, there's no way that this registration system can be avoided. The dealer is in control of the process along with the DMV, and has some responsibility here.

And the dealer's communication could have been much better on two occasions.

But as the matter is now settled, I'd personally drop it.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Seems the problem was resolved the way the dealership normally handles such issues. You are not going to change normal procedure. At this point do nothing more.
+1, not sure what the OP's beef is. He has his registration and incurred no penalties.

I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Forgive them. Hundreds of thousands of cars are sold every year. Sometimes people make mistakes.

Could they have been a little more apologetic? Probably. But, shrug.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
Mistakes and delays do happen, the OP should have been aware it was past the date. In my case buying a CPO outback we had a similar problem something went wrong and there was a delay I called the dealer and they had me drop off my car and supplied a new service loaner for me to use until my paperwork came in, I never believed it was up to them to keep track of the dates that was on me!! They however did the right thing and that was what mattered..

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
10 days expired… It’s not like the DMV is a model of efficiency, a temp tag/date is the timeline to process the paperwork - an estimate. A cop isn’t going to pull you over until at least a month has passed, not just for expired tags.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring Pearl White
37 Posts
As others have said, it is ultimately the owners responsibility to make sure they are not driving illegally. However, my experience has shown that there is a big difference in how dealers handle this.

In my state you have 30 days.
Example 1 -- Volkswagen Dealer when I bought my 2012 TDI JSW:
When 20 days had passed and I started to wonder when my registration would arrive. I know from personal experience that the county clerk turns these around within a day in our county. Around day 25, I called the county and they said they hadn't received anything. I called the dealer and they said not to worry they were sending it in. Indeed, they did send it in on day 29 and I got my registration on Day 31. Clearly the dealer was trying to milk a few extra pennies from the transaction by charging me for tax, title, and license and waiting 29 days to pay the county.

This same dealer tried to trick me into trading-in my TDI so they could collect the VW buyback money.

Example 2: My current Subaru
I was out of town for a week immediately after I drove off the lot. The registration was waiting for me when I got home. I didn't have to spend a month wondering if I was going to get it or not.

In the OP's example, it probably got rejected on day 44 because the dealer didn't submit it until day 44 and they screwed up something. OP should have followed up, but the dealer offered this service and considered the customer getting the registration on time secondary to them making two cents more interest. That absolutely does say something about the dealer.

What to do about it? If it is feasible, never set foot in this dealership again. No harm was done this time, but this is a red flag regarding how this dealer treats its customers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts