Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'll never see jack stands like these. They are farm made. I drove 60 miles from Baltimore to PA to get them off a guy who was selling them on Craig's. Their specific purpose for the rest of their lives as far as I'm concerned is to hold my 03 LL Bean up high when I do the transmission later on, and for anything else I might need. My question to the forum lords is this, what would you pay for these and what would you value them at?
They each weigh around 25 pounds. They are each made precisely the same. Lots of beautiful surface rust, but the integrity is there. A Heavy beefy pin slides straight through to set the adjustment of height with no wiggles or doubts. They sit flat on the ground with no play. I truly get a feeling of ease imagining these holding my car overhead. 19' lowered 27' fully extended. Thanks for looking at my post!

Attachments

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Since the seam of the main support is not welded the full length of the support, there is no way I would trust them with my life.

I would value them at a couple bucks a piece since I would need to pull out my welder and finish them.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the seam of the main support is not welded the full length of the support, there is no way I would trust them with my life.

I would value them at a couple bucks a piece since I would need to pull out my welder and finish them.
I guess the design is so that weld was not needed. I don't see an issue with it. I have tried them and have a ton of faith in them. I guess you'd have to analyze the photos a little more to see that.
You will never own these, however I'm sure harbor freight has some good stuff for you made in China! :)

Reactions: WSikorski

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
I would take those off somebody’s hands if they gave me $20. That would be worth my trouble to throw them away. They may be geat, or they may suck. Jack stands are not something I want to learn about the hard way. You could test them out on a heavier vehicle, but it’s not worth all that trouble to me.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
I have seen such things before,

not out of the ordinary where there are farmers having whole estate sales. (like buy this tractor, and get these free with it)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

not out of the ordinary where there are farmers having whole estate sales.
I'm sure.

Well, for the entertainment of the forum is why I purchased these I guess. They were too high at their lowest setting to get my Subaru up on them. I really didn't even want to bother jacking my Subaru that high. A tape measure could have been a friend of mine when I was still just thinking of purchasing these. They took up a ton of space in my garage and, in the end, were laid out by the dumpster for the old scrap man that comes around to have a nice score. This was a silly thread. Impulse buys, gotta love it.

They were sturdy though, even with all the rust. I'd have kept them if I did live on farm and had space. I'm sure they'd of come in handy. Space is money where I live.

Reactions: jakemccoy

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

not out of the ordinary where there are farmers having whole estate sales.
Telling the truth is fun. Turns out, so would I. They were sturdy though. The way they were built the weight went straight down on them and into the full welds at the bottom. The matter is though, I ditched them. They took up too much space and my car never needed to be that high. Impulse buys, always a learning experience. @jakemccoy

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,633 Posts
I have this set that I built back around 1996 I believe. Total investment of zero dollars. I figured eventually I would get some primer and paint on them but my procrastination on that is approaching a quarter of a century so I don't know if it will ever get done. I've trusted them with my life many times without a second thought. They aren't much good for smaller vehicles but they work great under solid axle vehicles and under frame rails on full-frame vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback
241 Posts

Nothing wrong with using a stitch weld in that area as it's not critical.
Now,dragging those heavy azz things around,no thanks.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Nothing wrong with using a stitch weld in that area as it's not critical.
Now,dragging those heavy azz things around,no thanks.
If my life depends on it, every weld is critical and I would have done a seam weld. You are being generous labeling the vertical welds in the original photo as stitch welds. There appears to be more material without welds than with welds.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,585 Posts
There's one matter not yet brought up in this thread that bears mentioning, and that is testing and certification. For life-critical tools and apparatus such as jack stands, I do look for evidence of this.

I've learned professionally that you can't test quality into a product, it has to be designed and manufactured in. And also I know there are no guarantees even with it; we know that certification can be and is faked - witness Volkswagen and their fiasco with the TDI engine emissions. Finally, I know that some manufacturers get this done once, then they backslide, lose the process, cheapen materials, or whatever, and the product safety suffers. Nevertheless, the presence of evidence of testing and certification means that most likely some agency independent of the manufacturer took a good look at it at some point, and it passed. And you can usually check up on this, or count on other manufacturers or agencies watching out for you.

These jack stands don't have any testing and certification, other than the OP's observation that "they look heavy". No thanks. At any price.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,633 Posts
I personally never trust my life to any one thing anyway. If I am going to be under a supported vehicle I will have a good solid set of jack stands and then something as a backup. Depending on what I am doing it may be a second set of jack stands or maybe just the floor jack. I wouldn't get under a vehicle supported by just a floor jack but as a backup, with the weight fully on jack stands first the floor jack is a good failsafe.

One of the sketchiest things I have done in recent years was when I was removing the body from the chassis on my VW Thing. To get the body up high enough to pull the chassis out I put a long piece of pipe under the front bumper and supported that on concrete blocks. I lifted the back end from the rear bumper with my engine hoist and a sling with J-hooks from my wrecker. It was fairly solid but I wouldn't have let any part of my body get under that mess for anything. I put snowmobile dollies under each of the drums and pulled the chassis out with a long strap. I'm still considering options for when it is time to put it back together.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts