Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband is finally letting go of his Chevy Colorado and I want to surprise him by giving him a new SUV. What Subaru SUV would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
775 Posts
Personally, I would not want someone else to select a vehicle that I'm the primary driver of. If you want to punish him, buy him a Fiat 500.

Technically the Outback is a wagon, not an SUV. The principal differences being a wagon has a longer cargo area and a little less tall. Obviously, we on this forum are generally partial to Outbacks over other Subarus. If you want a true SUV with three rows, Subaru just came out with the Ascent. I don't think they've arrived at most dealers yet.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
My husband is finally letting go of his Chevy Colorado and I want to surprise him by giving him a new SUV. What Subaru SUV would you guys recommend?
I agree with Radar. Are you sure he wants a Subaru?

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
I was going to suggest a WRX 6MT ;-) But Radar and z28dug are correct, a car is too personal to pick one for someone else.

Hand him a check for $30k and tell him to go find a car.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
296 Posts
I think what you want to do is really nice but I have to agree with the above. Just give him the money and let him choose his own vehicle.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,201 Posts
do you got a subaru now?

I would let him test a new big Ascent,

a current outback with both the 2.5 and the last 3.6,

and a Forester. (new redesigned better then ever 2019 forester, is coming in the fall).

the Ascent seats should find their way into the new 2019 forester, and next year's 2020 outback.

______

things I would skip: 2010- 2015 models on lots. (CVT transmission problems)....and 2015s glut lots,...find a 2016 - present if looking for slightly used.

_________

what I would never do. try to make a classic christmas time car advertisement about buying someone a vehicle as a surprise gift.

all cars sit different. very easy to get one that makes you mad to even sit in it. ...or it makes you mad after 40 minutes, as you find the seat sucks after a while. (current foresters have narrow hard seats like a old impreza)..

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
I have a compromise suggestion that doesn't involve making a purchase, nor does it need you to hand him $30k.

Clearly, you have some idea of his taste in vehicles, likes, dislikes, etc. He probably does appreciate your input, and if you're buying it for him, he ought to be listening to you. But I'm with the others on one point; the final call should be his alone. Don't make any commitment you can't back away from should it not be the right one.

So visit a showroom on your own, explain this all to the sales representative, tell him or her you'd like to get their cooperation for a surprise, and then either:
(1) take it home for him to look it over and test drive and tell him you're willing to buy it for him, or
(2) simply see if you can strike the deal you want, get a solid price commitment, and do everything except sign on the dotted line. Then take him back in to look it over and test drive it, and again tell him you're willing to buy it for him.

You'll know pretty quickly from his reaction how to proceed from that point.

I know, not quite the surprise factor, but also not the downside risk.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you got a subaru now?

I would let him test a new big Ascent,

a current outback with both the 2.5 and the last 3.6,

and a Forester. (new redesigned better then ever 2019 forester, is coming in the fall).

the Ascent seats should find their way into the new 2019 forester, and next year's 2020 outback.

______

things I would skip: 2010- 2015 models on lots. (CVT transmission problems)....and 2015s glut lots,...find a 2016 - present if looking for slightly used.

_________

what I would never do. try to make a classic christmas time car advertisement about buying someone a vehicle as a surprise gift.

all cars sit different. very easy to get one that makes you mad to even sit in it. ...or it makes you mad after 40 minutes, as you find the seat sucks after a while. (current foresters have narrow hard seats like a old impreza)..

That's actually a great suggestion, I am going to let him test a Subaru to know if he likes it, But I am hoping he does.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
That's actually a great suggestion, I am going to let him test a Subaru to know if he likes it, But I am hoping he does.
If he has been a pickup guy for a while, he may want something a bit bigger and find a Subaru too much of a girlie car. I know that to be the case with my son. He went from a Colorado to a Tahoe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If he has been a pickup guy for a while, he may want something a bit bigger and find a Subaru too much of a girlie car. I know that to be the case with my son. He went from a Colorado to a Tahoe.
Yes, he has been a pickup guy.

After reading all your comments, I decided to let him choose what he wants. I don't want any complications and definitely, don't want him to get mad at me. I want him to be happy and not experience anything like this

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
Has he looked at the Honda Ridgeline? He'll still have a pickup truck (with a cool hidden storage area), and still have a 4 door SUV. You can get them with FWD or AWD, too.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Check out Karma (formerly Fisker) as well... last 2 years (while in CA) I had a couple of part time jobs as a test driver for MBenz, N.A. (Long Beach), Mazda USA (Irvine) and Karma (Irvine)....

https://www.karmaautomotive.com/

For the last 2 weeks (before moving to Greece) I was running Karma prototypes between Irvine and Chula Vista and back. Karma is a very interesting car and I was constantly comparing it with my son's new Tesla 3...

Karma is an interesting alternative to Tesla, IMO....However, there are still a lot of bugs to iron out but quite a car from the engineering perspective.

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
367 Posts
Kind of funny, but on another forum I belong to, we often get the question, "I want to surprise my wife/girlfriend with her own handgun. What would be best?" Answer is usually, "Send her to a safety course, then let her decide what one she wants."

Even if my wife knew the exact Subaru I wanted, if she picked the wrong color...forget it!

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Kind of funny, but on another forum I belong to, we often get the question, "I want to surprise my wife/girlfriend with her own handgun. What would be best?" Answer is usually, "Send her to a safety course, then let her decide what one she wants."

Even if my wife knew the exact Subaru I wanted, if she picked the wrong color...forget it!
Safety course then try them all until she finds one she likes and is capable of using. Took my wife about a dozen different 9's until she found one that felt comfortable to shoot and she could actually rack the slide.....same with cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts