Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 outback auto wagon needing an engine. I can find complete but damaged cars cheaper than buying a salvage engine. So what years are the same body and engine as my 2002? What besides flywheel / flex plate would need to be changed on an engine from a manual trans car?

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
The engine is an EJ2.5 Outbacks, Imprezas and Foresters all share that engine. The engine does however have some differences between manual and automatic, there is a casting boss on the Lt side on the Manual engine for the lower starter bolt. The Manual trans will fit either, but automatics without that casting will not fit Manual transaxle cars. Other than that 3 models from 2000 to 2004, including Imprezas/Foresters from 1999 thru 2005 as long as they're 2.5L

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i read your post right, an engine from a manual trans car will swap into my auto trans car? As the goofy but lovable receptionist at work would say " i am just cross reverifing "
I found so many manual trans cars for sale but just a few autos.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
If i read your post right, an engine from a manual trans car will swap into my auto trans car? As the goofy but lovable receptionist at work would say " i am just cross reverifing "
I found so many manual trans cars for sale but just a few autos.
Yes. And if you are doing this at home, when you get to the point you will be removing the torque converter bolts, remove the throttle body for the extra room to move the wrench or ratchet.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
00-04 EJ25 - Outback, Forester, Legacy, Impreza
99 Forester and Impreza RS

99-01 EJ22 is also a direct, plug and play and bolt on swap if you also grab the exhaust manifold from the car too.

If your car has EGR then the donor engine should as well. I'm unfamiliar with which of these newer ones have EGR and which don't, I haven't had an issue with it yet but it was a common thing to look for in the previous generation. Maybe it's a non-issue with newer ones?

I'm unsure of 2005 and up models, though he mentions 2005 earlier, if that's true then 2005-2009's are likely swappable to some degree as they're similar.

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. And if you are doing this at home, when you get to the point you will be removing the torque converter bolts, remove the throttle body for the extra room to move the wrench or ratchet.
The engine is out, accessing the bolts was easy. i ended up removing the intake so the lifting chain did not damage the TPS. i found an online insurance auction site, a complete damaged car can be had for less than an engine only so i am looking in that direction.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
yes, you can use a manual in the auto with little issue, and as mentioned above you can swap in a (phase II)2.2L with little problem, though I think in an Outback would be a bit underpowered. You can also swap the other way if needed but would have to get creative about the lower starter bolt. Also as mentioned you should pay attention about the EGR if your vehicle is equipped with EGR, you will need an EGR motor, if your engine has no EGR you can plug the EGR port on the back of the (on an EGR equipped) Cyl. head with no problem. Though in that case I'd re-use your own Intake manifold.

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
00-04 EJ25 - Outback, Forester, Legacy, Impreza
99 Forester and Impreza RS

99-01 EJ22 is also a direct, plug and play and bolt on swap if you also grab the exhaust manifold from the car too.

If your car has EGR then the donor engine should as well. I'm unfamiliar with which of these newer ones have EGR and which don't, I haven't had an issue with it yet but it was a common thing to look for in the previous generation. Maybe it's a non-issue with newer ones?

I'm unsure of 2005 and up models, though he mentions 2005 earlier, if that's true then 2005-2009's are likely swappable to some degree as they're similar.
Are there specific years states or models that have the EGR? Mine does not and i may be buying a car without seeing it. Sure would hate to have to do extra unneeded work if i do not have to.

I really appreciate all the free education from the masters.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i know for a fact that 00 - 01 do not have EGR. i put an 01 engine in my 00 lego L and neither had it.

but it was my understanding that 02 - 04 did have EGR. but i guess it could be 03+.

what i don't understand is why opposedforces.com/parts shows that the EGR pipe and valve were used in all cars, manual and auto trans, starting in mid 99 build date.

here's a diagram from that site. look at the intake manifold / head from the driver side hood hinge area.

·
Registered
2002 outback 2.5 auto
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know for a fact that 00 - 01 do not have EGR. i put an 01 engine in my 00 lego L and neither had it.

but it was my understanding that 02 - 04 did have EGR. but i guess it could be 03+.

what i don't understand is why opposedforces.com/parts shows that the EGR pipe and valve were used in all cars, manual and auto trans, starting in mid 99 build date.

here's a diagram from that site. look at the intake manifold / head from the driver side hood hinge area.

i did not have to remove item three, tubing, to remove my intake or head.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
2000-2003, according to the list I have, did not have EGR systems on any engine other than the EZ30.

1999, the Legacy and Forester 2.5 had EGR, the Impreza 2.5 did not.

98 and older had EGR.

All you would have to do is change over the intake from your engine to the replacement if the replacement does have EGR. You aren't concerned with the ECM programming, only the mechanical. And the intake is a breeze. It would even have your original harness, injectors, sensors and throttle assembly.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i would use the original cam and crank sprockets as well. or at least compare them to be sure they are the same. these also changed at some point, not sure when.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts