Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for another Subaru used. This would be to replace my wife's 06 Jeep Liberty that I've never been very impressed with. She likes the Forester more, but if I found an Outback in the right color she would consider it.

What years are good to avoid to hopefully not have head gasket problems? I have an 2000 Outback that I've had for about 5 years and I've put 75k miles on it. It has had the head gaskets replaced twice, once by me and once by the previous owner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its my understanding that late 90s and early 2000s were the most prominent for head gasket problems. The 2005+ models are probably pretty solid.

You could also look for a 3.0 liter outback, since those engines didn't have the same head gasket problems as the 2.5

·
Registered
16,288 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
The short version is that the Phase I engine leaks internally....fix it fast before it overheats and gets serious expensive.

The 2000+ Phase II engine typically leaks oil and/or coolant externally if it develops a leak. If the respective fluids are not allowed to get low, it can run many thousands of miles like this.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
All engines have head gaskets regardless of who makes them. All are subject to failure. The older the car, the more likely a failure will happen. If you want to buy an old one, just make sure they have already been fixed. Otherwise, spend your money on a newer one. Untill they stop building engines with head gaskets, there is always a chance of failure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
8 Participants
Wagondude
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing