Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 outback with automatic transmission that needs a whole new rear suspension set up (wrecked with right rear wheel pushed in at top and bottom. I found one out of a 2004 and would like to know if it will fit. I think the 2004 is second generation and 2005 is third generation, but I don't know what that means and whether or not the rear end is compatible. I plan to replace the part that bolts to body ( I think it's the suspension cradle crossover ) and swingarms ect. Anybody know if the 2004 will fit 2005. It
I would also like to know what else was changed between 2nd and 3rd generation
Thanks Steve

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Steve it would be wise to stick with the right generation. Lots of updates were made between 2 and 3 I doubt the parts are even the same.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I actually think some people intentionally used rear 2nd Gen suspension parts in their third gens. Can't remember what the reasoning was, though. So, it might actually work. With a search, you may be able to dig up some threads on it.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I actually think some people intentionally used rear 2nd Gen suspension parts in their third gens. Can't remember what the reasoning was, though. So, it might actually work. With a search, you may be able to dig up some threads on it.
JP I recall the same but I think it was the thread about ghost walking with the gen 3 peeps and someone trying to use the old gen suspension as a cure. Pretty sure I recall a few things being different primarily the hubs and bearings which makes me think that any of the suspension bits would not be a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you're right about the generation. Now what I'd like to know is if the suspension cradle off of a Legacy or Legacy GT will fit on an outback?
Steve

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I think you're right about the generation. Now what I'd like to know is if the suspension cradle off of a Legacy or Legacy GT will fit on an outback?
Steve
Steve - there is a Legacy group that has helped some outback guys swap suspensions for a better road focused OB wagon - they would know for sure if the cradle is the same or set up different between the two. My guess would be that the cradle is the same but the suspension arms are longer on the OB to address the taller suspension height. But don't quote me on that. LOL For sure the legacy guys will know given it seems they have done lots of conversions with the outbacks to the legacy suspension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts