Subaru Outback Forums banner

Whats involved in replacing an oil pan. 2000 OB

3281 18
I need to replace the oil pan on my 2000 outback. The bolts in back look pretty hard to get to without raising the engine. So what is all required to do this job?

Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
gotta lift the engine for bolt access and for the internal sump to clear the baffles in the pan...I've only seen Subaru's with baffles, i'm unsure if there are any motors without them but I haven't seen one.

It's not that bad though - only 3 nuts to get the engine to lift up - two lower 14mm engine mounts nuts and one bolt for the pitch stopped - that's it. have to detach intake and remove radiator hoses as they're probably not going to articulate enough for the engine to go up....but those are sort of ancillary things.

jack the engine up and go to town.

if you do have to remove the hoses consider this a good time for a coolant change and add Subaru's required coolant conditioner for that engine.

Also - make sure it's the oil pan. Valve covers, headgaskets, oil cooler (if equipped, i don't think your year OBW has one), and rear separator plate can look like oil pan leakage. Even a front oil pump/crank can wet the oil pan significantly. All leaks end up giving residual oil supply to the oil pan due to it's location and the geometry of the engine.

it's mostly annoying working under the car but not as hard as it sounds once you do it once.

· Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
oh wow, nice hit and good job catching that leak.

i'd weld it shut and be done with it. if your friend has a lift he's got welders/torches. for someone that knows what they're doing that would take about 2 minutes to grab the welder and 23 seconds to weld it. i'd imagine there are intelligent ways to do it. like drain the oil out and spray some cleaner through the drain hole to get all the oil out of the bottom of the pan...something like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.