Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

I bought one of those handy little bluetooth OBDII plugs and downloaded a data-reading app for my iPhone. Anyway, it looks like my 2013 Outback is running pretty healthy. But I have one question: What's the nomal operating temperature for the 2.5L engine? Mine is running a constant 190f Degrees. Since my car came only equipped with an idiot light instead of a temperature gauge, I don't know if this is good or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,448 Posts
I have an ultraguage On our ‘11 OB. I put it in when not having a temp gauge drove nuts. It helped when I lost a head gasket...was able to see it coming with the high temps showing and was able to pull over instead of having to wait for the idiot light to come on. That said...my engine runs between 190...ish and 195...ish. In colder weather it runs a little hatter...up to 201 degrees...that’s F.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd be curious to hear more experiences as well. We just got a 2011 Outback a week ago, and this morning I moved a scangauge from our old 2000 Outback over, and the coolant temp varied between 190 and 205 F. Weather was cool - in the 60s.

Also, the blue temp dash light went off around 120 F.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which OBDII plug are you using and which app for the iphone? Are you pleased with both??
I'm using an el-cheapo Bluetooth OBD plug from amazon. I think the brand was Amtake or some crap. I'm using OBDFusion for my app. It cost less than $10 and offers good functionality. I just wish it would read transmission temps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts