Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5 Ltd
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seams that I only read bad comments on the OB 2010 2.2 or 3.0 Nav.
I have only good things to say about it; just recently it got me home to Nashville from Tupelo, MS with an alternate route in record time.
When I'm not using it, I'm playing my David Gilmore Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD and this winter, I plan on having my Yule Log DVD playing; who would have thought that my OB had a fireplace. :29:

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
543 Posts
Do you use it as a NAV unit much, do you have a portable Garmin unit?
Imagine this, your in a part of the country your not familiar with. Now you need to find a hospital (that's hospital, not foot doctor, not a clinic). Now try to quickly find the closest hospital with the OEM NAV unit.
If you don't have a portable Garmiin to try the same thing on, go to your local Best Buy and try it.
And that is just one reason the OEM unit sucks.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
It seams that I only read bad comments on the OB 2010 2.2 or 3.0 Nav.
I have only good things to say about it; just recently it got me home to Nashville from Tupelo, MS with an alternate route in record time.
When I'm not using it, I'm playing my David Gilmore Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD and this winter, I plan on having my Yule Log DVD playing; who would have thought that my OB had a fireplace. :29:
I have to agree with you, once you get past the learning curve and install the lockout overide, it performs GPS functions well and has some nice features not available on my Garmins ( auto split screen at turns, plays DVDs for passenger, it's built in, excellent integration with the sound system, great backup camera monitor, etc). However, it is not as intuitive to use as the Garmins and is not the kind of GPS I would by for my parents.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Do you use it as a NAV unit much, do you have a portable Garmin unit?
Imagine this, your in a part of the country your not familiar with. Now you need to find a hospital (that's hospital, not foot doctor, not a clinic). Now try to quickly find the closest hospital with the OEM NAV unit.
If you don't have a portable Garmiin to try the same thing on, go to your local Best Buy and try it.
And that is just one reason the OEM unit sucks.
I just tried this on the factory NAV and it is quite easy. Select destination, select emergency, select hospital, and it lists the closest hospitals. I don't see any foot doctors in there but I do see an IMCC listed which I would expect and want listed. My wife and son are out with the other 2 cars with the Garmins in them but when one comes home I will try it on the Garmin.

Edit: One of the Garmins just came home. It wasn't so easy to find hospitals. They were listed on the second screen under the food and lodgings category. I was suprised. In most cases the Garmin is more intuitive. Once selected it listed just the major hospitals, no IMCCs. I think the factory GPS wins out here for me. In a real emergency I think I would want to know about the IMCC around the corner, not just the hospital 10 miles away.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
543 Posts
I just tried this on the factory NAV and it is quite easy. Select destination, select emergency, select hospital, and it lists the closest hospitals. I don't see any foot doctors in there but I do see an IMCC listed which I would expect and want listed. My wife and son are out with the other 2 cars with the Garmins in them but when one comes home I will try it on the Garmin.
Sounds like Subaru updated their software. I had 09' I had experience with.

·
Registered
Forester - 1999, Outback 2.0D - 2010, Mazda MX-5 Miata - 2014.
129 Posts
I miss tracking and GPS speed, as the speedometer is at least 10% off.
Why do I have to buy a DVD to upgrade?
Why cant I download upgrades from the web to a flash drive?
Why can´t I install speedtrap POIs with warnings?
Now I drive around with my old Garmin, to cover the functions I miss.

·
Premium Member
2011 Silver Outback 2.5i Limited, NAV.
305 Posts
Above all else, the lockout is reason enough not to buy the system. Look for an after market system.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I really dont have the skills to do the overide. Plus, will it void the warranty? With the override, does the back-up camera work as normal?

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
I really dont have the skills to do the overide. Plus, will it void the warranty? With the override, does the back-up camera work as normal?
The override does not involve changing the GPS, it uses an unused pin basically letting you run the unit while the car is moving. If anything went wrong you could always remove the wire before taking it in for service. The back up camera works as the same as before the overide.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Remember, I am in management. I don't actually know how to do anything myself.
I don't have the mechanical skills to remove the casings without damaging them. If someone wants to barter, I can get your retail business back in profit if you can help me get a NAV that I can use.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Remember, I am in management. I don't actually know how to do anything myself.
I don't have the mechanical skills to remove the casings without damaging them. If someone wants to barter, I can get your retail business back in profit if you can help me get a NAV that I can use.
All the info is in the link I provided. You won't void your warranty and the backup camera works as always. If you don't have the skills just do what others have done, take the directions to an auto sound system shop. In less than 15 minutes you will be done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts