Subaru Outback Forums banner

How Old Are You? (hidden poll,...so feel free to tell the truth).

• 16-20

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • 21-30

Votes: 59 8.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 133 19.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 106 15.5%
  • 51-60

Votes: 151 22.1%
  • 61-70

Votes: 162 23.8%
  • 71-80

Votes: 52 7.6%
  • 81-90

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • 91-plus

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here, just bought my first Subaru - picked it up on 10/7. My wife decided after 40 years living in snow country (Spokane, WA) that she wanted AWD. Got 2020 Limited with virtually every available option. Skipped on the turbo, though. Though the 2.5 had plenty of power. Not planning on towing anything. Still getting used to the electronics.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT/LDL
1 Posts
New member and first time Subaru owner - picked it up on 31 Dec for my wife. Got the Outback Touring with every available option, AWD and turbo was a must for her. Looking forward to many years of enjoyable ownership.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm 50. I bought my 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R on my birthday.

Previous cars:
Saturn SL2s, Honda Civic (some others when I was much younger).

If you're interested in the reasons why:
- Station wagons make a lot of sense. They always have. The whole idea slightly changing what the family car is has always seemed dumb to me: "Well.. I'll get this other car which ISN'T a station wagon..." and then, "Well... I'll get this other car which ISN'T a minivan..." and then, "Well, I'll get this other car which isn't an SUV..." (which is now a crossover which is the current generation of station wagons).

Station wagons make sense. Minivans can make sense. SUVs can make sense. Trying to "not have a family car" doesn't make much sense - which seems to have led us here.

- I've always had the inexpensive commuter car. The wife, when I was married, got the nice car. I always got the "just go to work" car. This, too, doesn't make any sense as I was spending much more time in my car than she was in the nice car. Still, had I stayed married I would have likely bought 2-3 more nice cars for her and always dealt with the cheap/basic/commuter car. As such, I thought, "You know what. This time I'm getting a nice car. I only have so many years left on Earth - I'd like to drive a nice car for those remaining years." Granted, you could name nicer cars than the Outback Touring but, to me, it's a nice car.

- The 2019 had what I wanted (6cyl, nice infotainment, extras) with a bunch of neat features and didn't have what I didn't want which was mainly:
- auto stop/start (the 2020s have this)
- Eco/Normal/Sport buttons
- Turbo. I'm not a huge fan of turbos but I understand their place when you need / want extra power. What I don't this is a good idea is putting an underpowered engine into a car and then using turbo to boost its specs. That means that the turbo is going to be running most of the time and running hot, cooking the oil, and not having a chance to cool down. Also, with underpowered engines and turbos I think the car companies are playing the game of, "Look at this gas mileage!!," which is very likely based upon driving and being really careful not to engage turbo on your undersized engine. Reality is that most people drive in such a way as the turbo will always be engaged on the undersized engine and, thus, the MPGs are a bit bogus. Most new cars have underpowered engines and put turbos on them to get the specs.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the Outback. I've liked them for a very long time and just never bit off on them because of either being married or paying off the ex. Now I'm out of all that and could get what I wanted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
49 here. Bought my first Subaru last week — a 2020 Outback Onyx XT. I must say that coming from sport cars in my early 20's, luxury cars in my 30's and 4x4 trucks in the past decade (my prior vehicle was a 2017 F150 Platinum), the outback just makes sense. I was also tired of high fuel consumption, paying premium for fuel and getting my tailgate stolen every other year!

The Outback has the style I like, the luxuries I desire and the capability I need for the occasional fishing and camping trips. It's a pleasure to drive and I now understand the value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
102 Posts
Got my first Subaru three years ago when I was 30, wasn't looking for one but I was looking for a wagon since I had my daughter and didn't want a van. My parents both have Subaru's and after my dad found a very low mileage one owner car for sale it was only 4 hours from that text to buying the car. Just one of those things you know when is right. I love mine, but I really want my Mom's '11 3.6R LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
First time Subaru owner. picked up the Onyx XT on Jan 2...too bad the banks were not open Jan 1, would have had it earlier.

Subaru really HIT THE MARK with the Onyx Edition, that reeled me in like a fat salmon. Fried me and eaten....lol

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Touring
11 Posts
first time Subaru owner (2016 Outback 2.5L Touring) . but not the first Subaru in the family (my brother owns a BRZ and my other brother owned a Legacy wagon, back when these were a thing).
Bought it 6 weeks ago after long search for a new car, when i was totally looking for something else, being single with no family or kids i was focused on a small car (think Honda Fit, Scion iM, Corolla Hatchback) then my brother sent me a link for this Outback which i was very skeptical off being a huge soccermom-like wagon but i decided to take it for a test drive just to shut my brother off cause he was being too pushy, test drove it, liked it, bought it the next day, and here i am a single man in his 20's driving a big family wagon ... :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
My first Subaru came in 2014, my second in 2016, and my third in 2019... drove a 2002 Acura CL type S for 10 years in the snow...decided for AWD and the Subaru system is the best at it.

Current Subaru Hooptie Fleet
2010 Outback 3.6R Premium 142K
2003 Legacy L special edition 144K
2014 Legacy 2.5i 71K

181 - 190 of 190 Posts