Subaru Outback Forums banner

How Old Are You? (hidden poll,...so feel free to tell the truth).

• 16-20

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • 21-30

Votes: 77 9.1%
  • 31-40

Votes: 172 20.4%
  • 41-50

Votes: 135 16.0%
  • 51-60

Votes: 184 21.8%
  • 61-70

Votes: 183 21.7%
  • 71-80

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • 81-90

Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 91-plus

Votes: 2 0.2%

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2008 n/a 5 speed manual outback
95 Posts
I’m 16 and I wouldnt want to own any other car other than my 2008 manual outback. That thing can power slide if you dump that clutch. (which I’m replacing right now)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 50. I bought my 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R on my birthday.

Previous cars:
Saturn SL2s, Honda Civic (some others when I was much younger).

If you're interested in the reasons why:
- Station wagons make a lot of sense. They always have. The whole idea slightly changing what the family car is has always seemed dumb to me: "Well.. I'll get this other car which ISN'T a station wagon..." and then, "Well... I'll get this other car which ISN'T a minivan..." and then, "Well, I'll get this other car which isn't an SUV..." (which is now a crossover which is the current generation of station wagons).

Station wagons make sense. Minivans can make sense. SUVs can make sense. Trying to "not have a family car" doesn't make much sense - which seems to have led us here.

- I've always had the inexpensive commuter car. The wife, when I was married, got the nice car. I always got the "just go to work" car. This, too, doesn't make any sense as I was spending much more time in my car than she was in the nice car. Still, had I stayed married I would have likely bought 2-3 more nice cars for her and always dealt with the cheap/basic/commuter car. As such, I thought, "You know what. This time I'm getting a nice car. I only have so many years left on Earth - I'd like to drive a nice car for those remaining years." Granted, you could name nicer cars than the Outback Touring but, to me, it's a nice car.

- The 2019 had what I wanted (6cyl, nice infotainment, extras) with a bunch of neat features and didn't have what I didn't want which was mainly:
- auto stop/start (the 2020s have this)
- Eco/Normal/Sport buttons
- Turbo. I'm not a huge fan of turbos but I understand their place when you need / want extra power. What I don't this is a good idea is putting an underpowered engine into a car and then using turbo to boost its specs. That means that the turbo is going to be running most of the time and running hot, cooking the oil, and not having a chance to cool down. Also, with underpowered engines and turbos I think the car companies are playing the game of, "Look at this gas mileage!!," which is very likely based upon driving and being really careful not to engage turbo on your undersized engine. Reality is that most people drive in such a way as the turbo will always be engaged on the undersized engine and, thus, the MPGs are a bit bogus. Most new cars have underpowered engines and put turbos on them to get the specs.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the Outback. I've liked them for a very long time and just never bit off on them because of either being married or paying off the ex. Now I'm out of all that and could get what I wanted.
great great car!!! Smoooth. Fast. Strong. Beautiful.

·
Registered
2020 outback onyx xt
26 Posts
68 here and just got my first subaru in Jan. came from a 07 acura MDX that had to go at 230,000 miles.
the car I miss the most was my high school ride 65 mustang 289 v8 with 4 speed but we cut school one day and went to the beach and it was stolen😡

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
LOL, how do I update my vote? I was 40 when I answered this last year, and now I'm over the hill at the ripe old age of 41 :censored:

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5L Premium in Twilight Blue: "Grover" 2010 Outback 2.5L Premium in Cypress Green: "Kermit"
1 Posts
46 and proud owner of two Outbacks:
2010 Green 2.5i Premium (Kermit) - purchased 2012, just flipped 110K
2015 Blue 2.5i Premium (Grover) - purchased 2018, just flipped 73K

Kermit replaced my wife's Nissan Sentra after our daughter was born in 2011 and we needed something bigger/safer. Lots of highway miles between suburban Cincinnati and South Carolina/Florida/Missouri. Grover replaced my 2001 Toyota Sienna. We are "drive till the wheels fall off" people, so looking forward to flipping 175-200 K on each.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought my first OB. Had 2 Fozzies, a CrossTrek, and an Impreza. FIRST THING everybody says... Oh. You bought an Old Man car!

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
Just bought my first OB. Had 2 Fozzies, a CrossTrek, and an Impreza. FIRST THING everybody says... Oh. You bought an Old Man car!
Get used to it. That doesn’t mean it’s bad. CR has rated Outbacks as #2 on their list of 25 best cars for old folks (Foresters are #1). In fact I find my ‘18 Touring 3.6 (my first Subaru) is a very pleasant car to drive, and suits me fine. I’m 83 and have had about 30 very different cars during my lifetime, so I do have some perspective. The OB is good value for the money, and I’m considering a 2021. Feel smart and enjoy your Subie.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
6 Posts
I am 70. Bought a 2012 Outback 3.6L Limited new May 30 2012. Now have 127,000 miles on it. Other than a battery going dead after 5 years nothing has crumped excepting a couple of flats. Burn a tad bit of oil if I do much interstate driving but otherwise it is running sweet. Still running on original brake pads (I have a light foot and use the paddle switch for downshifting for off ramps and high speed braking).

·
Registered
Subaru Outback Outdoor XT 2020
67 Posts
I'm 36 and this is my first Outback. I had a Forester XT before, bought at 33 yo. This is the first time I stay with the same car manufacturer.

I'm now addicted to Subaru, especially in winter. There is a good chance that my wife's next car will be a Crosstrek.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I'm really an old guy, 84, with my first Subaru (2020 Limited XT, white, ivory). I'm also really a car guy, having having many many very interesting cars.
Among them:
Ford Anglia, 2 door (top speed 55 mph) Terrible car!!!!
1962 Pontiac Tempest Convert (very interesting, engine was 1/2 of a V8, Flexible drive shaft in torque tube, tranny in rear, 4 barrel carb. Really tore up drive shaft bearings and clutches.
1964 Pont. Tempest convert small V8, 3 speed on column. Pretty peppy
1966 Pont. Tempest convert, OHC 6 cyl. w/ quadrajet 4 barrel carb. (secondaries were 2 1/8 " in diam), 3 spd on the floor (Hurst shifter). Very interesting engine, would easily do 7,000 rpm and 0 to 60 in low gear. Every bit as fast as the 64 V8.
Among others:
69 VW Karmann Ghia and 72 VW Karmann Ghia, both converts. (Had the latter for about 25 years)
1937 Rolls-Royce sedanca (had this one for 25 yrs) Great car - really fun and trouble free. Did all the work myself.
And almost every Ford Taurus/Sable from their first year (1966) to (2017) Very reliable cars, except for the 3.8 V that had warped heads.
Just getting used to the Subaru. Lots to learn.
Still pretty active, having fun.

·
Registered
402 Posts
D i r t !

201 - 220 of 223 Posts