Subaru Outback Forums banner

How Old Are You? (hidden poll,...so feel free to tell the truth).

• 16-20

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • 21-30

Votes: 77 9.1%
  • 31-40

Votes: 172 20.4%
  • 41-50

Votes: 135 16.0%
  • 51-60

Votes: 184 21.8%
  • 61-70

Votes: 183 21.7%
  • 71-80

Votes: 68 8.1%
  • 81-90

Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 91-plus

Votes: 2 0.2%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
I bought our first Subaru (Forester) when I was 37...4 Subaru’s and 21 years later...I’m older...lol...that group that coolerbythelake called “largely older middle aged...heading to retirement....group. I like to call it someone with more seasoning under their belt...

·
Registered
2003 Outback EJ253, auto
12 Posts
Just turned 41.

I've owned a bunch of cars, half of them Hondas.

1980 Ford F-150 (351M, 3 speed auto) (hand me down from stepdad when I was 17)
1988 Honda Accord LXi (sedan, EFI, 5 speed manual)
1988 Honda Accord DX (coupe, carb, 5 speed manual)
1996 Honda Civic EX (coupe, VTEC, 5 speed manual, bolt on mods, blew the motor twice)
1991 Acura Integra LS (hatch, 1.8 non-VTEC, 4 speed auto, bolt on mods.. engine eventually wore out)
1995 Honda Accord EX (coupe, VTEC, 5 speed manual, $200 w/salvage title, added an intake and exhaust, then got whacked by an 18 wheeler)
2001 Honda Accord LX (sedan, VTEC, 5 speed manual, totaled from vandalism)
1999 Nissan Altima GXE (5 speed manual - got sick of fixing it constantly, then the timing chain started rattling, so it was time to part with it)
2006 Saturn Ion 3 (quad coupe, 5 speed manual) (totaled by a garbage truck, had just put a bunch of new parts on it, which leads to....)
2006 Saturn Ion 2 (quad coupe, 5 speed manual) (lost 2nd gear a few months ago, fuel lines rusted out, had other issues as well.. not worth fixing, tho at least the AC still worked)
2003 Subaru Outback w/cold weather package (2.5, 4 speed auto, had it about 2 weeks)

The Integra was my favorite when it came to handling, though with the auto, you very much had to flog it. The first Ion and the third Accord were a tossup for most reliable cars I've owned (I owned the Ion a lot longer though, from 60k to 203k). The Subaru definitely doesn't go anywhere in a hurry, but it's comfortable, very roomy, and I've been wanting a cheap wagon for awhile.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i
2 Posts
24 and owned 3 cars (all Outbacks).

2001 Outback (green) was my first car I got in 2014. Cheap car that got me through college in northern MN.

2011 Outback 2.5i (red) that I got in 2016. My first big adult purchase! Selling it to my mom once my 2020 arrives.

2020 Outback Onyx XT (blue). I’m definitely most excited about this Outback!

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
259 Posts
We need the option to update our answers on this poll. I was 60 when I first answered it now I'm 61 . . .

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
To me, the histogram looks bi-modal. There's one hump centered about 30-40yrs and another 61-70. I may be imagining it, but would imagine the vehicle appealing to two different age groups for different reasons.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,083 Posts
To me, the histogram looks bi-modal. There's one hump centered about 30-40yrs and another 61-70. I may be imagining it, but would imagine the vehicle appealing to two different age groups for different reasons.
not so much the vehicle, but those on the forum participating in the little poll.

and typically the reason for having a outback at all:
the right tool for the job, or at least on a check list of needs/ wants it checks off more boxes than other vehicles.
(there has been at least 1 4WD or AWD subaru in my driveway since 1983)

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,353 Posts
@eagleeye Good point, the people on this forum are not necessarily representative of the pool of people owning Subarus, but rather the people who are members here, viewed the thread, and responded to the poll.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,083 Posts
@eagleeye Good point, the people on this forum are not necessarily representative of the pool of people owning Subarus, but rather the people who are members here, viewed the thread, and responded to the poll.
the outback forum, the similar forester forum, and the legacygt.com forum

vs. the nose pickers on NAISOC
which is so much bigger over the years.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,569 Posts
Old enough to know better...young enough to do it again...

Reactions: RocketMan20

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,635 Posts
First Subaru at 61. So far, it seems worth the wait! (y)
p.s. Very interesting results shown here. Highest percentage of owners are 61-70? I wonder how that stacks up to real world sales.
it must be all us old XT buyers mucking up the numbers.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited
41 Posts
So, I am 62. I used to work for SOA from 1977 to 1993. Always had a company car...drove every model, DL and GL sedans and Wagons, The Brat, XT, XT6, Justy, SVX, Legacy Sedan and Wagon. I left SOA before the Outback and Forester, and Impreza. Always a great car, even better now. Bought a '17 Outback Limited CPO in early December of 2019, traded an '08 Yukon. It's like going home again, and I'm so glad to be back!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
7 Posts
50-60 is winning. Any analysis on this? Do they have more money? Or the Outback's style is for that age bracket?

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
50-60 is winning. Any analysis on this? Do they have more money? Or the Outback's style is for that age bracket?
No analysis. Just observation and opinion. Agree the 50-60’s may have more money, but ones in the 70-80’s are also more likely to be dead. And styling probably doesn’t appeal to all that are younger unless they are off-roaders.

Another observation from this 83-year-old: while not the age subject of this post, here in Williamsburg, VA those I see in their 50-60’s are most likely to be women. IMO because of the practicality of the cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,635 Posts
and you could add that most folks over 75, aren't likely to be spending allot of time on the internet and /or forums in general.
Still fun stuff though.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
187 Posts
At 66, it's harder to get around - unless I'm in the drivers seat of my 2020 Outback. And getting into and out of the Outback drivers seat is easier than getting into or out of a Civic.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 Outback Ltd
86 Posts
64 here but my first car was a Subaru back in '74. I have always had a canoe and now have added kayaks and I was wondering if I needed to start looking at something other than an Outback. The racks on my 2015 are not very kayak friendly. They only have a 30" spread and there's no way to adjust that. I don't see a way to add aftermarket racks (Yakima, Tule) to solve that problem either. I think the engineers are thinking "soccer mom" more than "outdoors person" these days.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited
41 Posts
Baby boomers have more money than most. Retired or nearing retirement looking for a great car to take them into their retirement years and beyond. Subaru Outback? I'd say so. Reliability, excellent crash test ratings, and now technology. All good attributes for that segment of the population. They keep their cars for 8.3 years on average, and why not? Cheers!

161 - 180 of 223 Posts