Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just picked up our 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited on Monday. It's super!

I had my last car for 12 years--I like to keep my cars clean and looking good. Unfortunately, the last car had many dings on the front bumper and hood from rocks, dirt, etc.

What are your suggestions for keeping the finish ding-free on the new Outback? I'm considering a clear-bra (any specific manufacturers you'd recommend?), a magnet bra, a hood deflector, or Klasse polish.

I'm in the Boston/New Hampshire area, so any installer recommendations would be welcome also. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, I am picking up my new 2013 OB today at 4. I had it undercoated, had nightmares in the past with rust on gas lines and all the rest, it is Canada and we use salt on our roads here.

Thinking of car additions is a different mindset for me, I am used to farkling up my motorcycle, and have a long list ontop of a list of mods I have done that I want to do.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I looked into a clear bra but man, are they expensive! I didn't want to shell out almost $400 so I went with the magnet bra. Looks good and people ask about it. Was a bit of a pain to put on but once I got everything positioned correctly I just left it outside for an hour or so on a 90 degree day and when I came out it had molded itself perfectly to the hood contours. So far so good.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is going to sound dumb however, dont ever park you car in a parking lot with temp tags. There are like a magnet for A**Holes who like to key new cars. And yes they are out there :gasp:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked into a clear bra but man, are they expensive! I didn't want to shell out almost $400 so I went with the magnet bra. Looks good and people ask about it. Was a bit of a pain to put on but once I got everything positioned correctly I just left it outside for an hour or so on a 90 degree day and when I came out it had molded itself perfectly to the hood contours. So far so good.
What color car do you have?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is going to sound dumb however, dont ever park you car in a parking lot with temp tags. There are like a magnet for A**Holes who like to key new cars. And yes they are out there :gasp:
Now I'll sound dumb and ask what are temp tags? :)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Temp tags are those paper license plate tags the dealer puts on the car to use before your permanent plates are available. Now a days a lot of dealerships in several states can issue you a permanent plate from their dealership in cooperation with your state DMV/MVA, so you may never have those paper "expires on" sort of tags.

I've had bras on other cars, like my RX-7, and sometimes they are worse than not having anything at all. If dust or sand gets under them, they can have an abrasive effect on your clear coat and paint. Some just look plain ugly. Others get wet and rot, leaving a mold/mildew stain. If you really want one, don't cheap out. Expensive is expensive, but you get what you pay for in most cases. A good sealer wax like Mother's, hand applied and buffed will help as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Protect?

Put it in a heated garage with humidity-control and set it on four jack stands so the wheels are off the ground or very little weight on the wheels and every so often run the engine and change the oil.

Gas stabilizer would be good if you only put a bit of gas in it once a year or so.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Put it in a heated garage with humidity-control ...
And don't forget to fill the garage with 99.9% nitrogen...

...it couldn't hoit,

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
And don't forget to fill the garage with 99.9% nitrogen...

...it couldn't hoit,

Looby
Looby is right here. Nitrogen is like magic keeps our little bubble in space livable and apparently a great thing to sell given its nearly free for those who took HS Science. LOL

·
Registered
474 Posts
I keep my garage at 78% nitrogen. Using science I can maintain this even with the door open.

In all seriousness, you can avoid a great deal of dings up front by maintaining a good distance between you and the car in front of you. This is hard where I live because everybody insists on cutting you off after passing. Bras do pretty well as long as you don't let dirt and debris get too comfy underneath it.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
set it on four jack stands so the wheels are off the ground
You may laugh at this, but in the rivers and creeks from the Chesapeake bay and the bay itself, lots of folks use boat lifts to raise their boats out of the water at their pier. I've seen some boats easily three times the size and weight of an Outback suspended above the water on cables or a forklift type of rig. Come to think of it, you could rig something that lifts the OBW in your garage. Let me know and I'll design something for you. Oh wait, they already use those in repair shops. So just get a hydraulic lift.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do some body-cavity sealing (including doors)and then you should undercoat every square inch of it. For the outside you can go with bumper guards and protection foil/film.

Even though the leather interiour doesn't show wear in the first month or years you should take care of the leather every one to two month.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got my 02 OBW and a 2012 Impreza. Since my OBW has a nice rustic (and in some spots, rusted) look to it from paint chips and various dings from god knows what I put on the hood deflector and mudflaps on my new subie. Subaru has a fancy name for the color-matched mudflaps now, but they're mudflaps. I used good quality wax on both cars though and occasionally use clay bars, now. I clayed my Outback after it was about a million or so miles unwashed and dirty. I blame the car since whenever I'm driving it I can't help but to dodge into mud puddles. That aside, once I clayed the outside it brought back every pearl flake in the finish and even with the dings looked dang close to factory new. Brilliant.

So, my 2012 looks sexy as ****, I got it Deep Cherry Pearl. The hood deflector looks aggressive and the painted mudflaps are a classy touch. That along with now regular waxing and clay bars every six months I restored my old car and the new one will be new for years to come. I would also suggest not letting your dog get in the car. My Outback is inundated with dog fur. I've resigned it to trips where my puppy comes along. I spent an hour vacuuming the car one weekend and not all of it came out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How to protect your Outback

Jack Bauer!

Seriously, Klasse All-In-One followed by 3 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze is a good start at protecting the paint from UV and minor chips.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
eop2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing