Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just Curious...I have an '04 2.5 Legacy Sedan with 116k...It runs excellent but does have some rust.....Not realing feeling it...I had an '02 Legacy GT that had 140k when I sold it and never replaced....I know the book says 105k...UPDATE I HAVE 5 SOOBIES I'M RESPONSIBLE FOR...ALL HAVE OVER 100K...3 HAVE HAD TIMING BELT/HEAD GASKET REPLACED...THE OTHER 2 ARE MY JUNKERS....NO FINGER WAGGING SERMONS PLEASE, IF YOU CAN ANSWER MY SPECIFIC QUESTION THANKS, IF NOT SCROLL ON THANKS

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
565 Posts
I've pushed non-interference engines well past mileage or time recommendations. But with an interference engine it's just stupid. Risking several thousand dollars worth of engine repairs over a $100 belt.....

Rubber breaks down over time. Even if it's only driven 114k miles, if it's original, that belt is 16 years old!! I wouldn't drive it down my driveway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Numbchux thanks for your reply but i dont think you understand where Im coming from...this is an extra car with rust issues I have no problem walking away from it when the time comes ..Im not going to spend $700 on a $1000 car I'm not depending on... that is "just stupid" IMHO...
.just trying to get a grip on when not if...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,503 Posts
Do you play Dungeons and Dragons?

Imagine a 12 sided die.

Roll it.

If you got 1-8 your engine is fine.

There are reports of timing belt breaking before the recommended change interval.

These are interference engines and they will need a rebuild if the timing belt goes.

If you don't care about it it's fine. But you have to know you're taking a huge risk every time you drive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you play Dungeons and Dragons?

Imagine a 12 sided die.

Roll it.

If you got 1-8 your engine is fine.

There are reports of timing belt breaking before the recommended change interval.

These are interference engines and they will need a rebuild if the timing belt goes.

If you don't care about it it's fine. But you have to know you're taking a huge risk every time you drive.
Fair enough Brucey...But why do I need a 12 sided die???...Couldnt I use a six sided one (Ive got plenty of those) ..and I pass on 1-4??? lol but your point is noted.....again see my user name...I dont call 5Subarus for nothing...you got to pick and choose....

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,503 Posts
Fair enough Brucey...But why do I need a 12 sided die???...Couldnt I use a six sided one (Ive got plenty of those) ..and I pass on 1-4??? lol but your point is noted.....again see my user name...I dont call 5Subarus for nothing...you got to pick and choose....
You could and even get the same odds.

But I thought it was less generic (and thus able to get my point across better) compared to say:

"You're just rolling the dice every time you start it."

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,166 Posts
I just looked and it looks like it is 137.99 on rockauto
I will start watching prices on it and if it goes lower will order one for my BAJA
that is not a lot to spend in a old car to keep it going another 100k

I still get why people take their 10 year old dogs to the vet for routine shots like rabies etc, but cant see why they spend 5k on a surgery to remove cancer on a 15year old dog.....hmmm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked and it looks like it is 137.99 on rockauto
I will start watching prices on it and if it goes lower will order one for my BAJA
that is not a lot to spend in a old car to keep it going another 100k

I still get why people take their 10 year old dogs to the vet for routine shots like rabies etc, but cant see why they spend 5k on a surgery to remove cancer on a 15year old dog.....hmmm
Kind of beyond me as a do it yourselfer....my mechanic (who did my nicer 2004 outback) along with the water pump charges about $700....unless you want to come over and do it for a case a beer....

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,190 Posts
Next question: What’ s the closest encounter you’ve had at a train crossing where the train didn’t actually hit you?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Why are you asking if you're going to argue with the answer? You're not going to get anyone to tell you it's OK to neglect preventative maintenance.

You have a $1000 car, it's going to need regular maintenance and repairs. Either learn to do it yourself, prepare to pay someone to do it for you, buy a newer car, or neglect it and understand it IS going to fail.

Kind of beyond me as a do it yourselfer....my mechanic (who did my nicer 2004 outback) along with the water pump charges about $700....unless you want to come over and do it for a case a beer....
Call some other mechanics. I've never seen a Subaru EJ OEM water pump fail, don't replace that. It's an hour or 2 of labor. Bring your own parts (understand you will get no warranty, but it's a good way to save a buck), and get an aftermarket kit for $150. Now your bill is down to <$300. You cannot replace that car in running condition for that money. Look on Craigslist or Facebook, there are people everywhere with the skills and tools looking to make a little money on the side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Why are you asking if you're going to argue with the answer? You're not going to get anyone to tell you it's OK to neglect preventative maintenance.

You have a $1000 car, it's going to need regular maintenance and repairs. Either learn to do it yourself, prepare to pay someone to do it for you, buy a newer car, or neglect it and understand it IS going to fail.

Call some other mechanics. I've never seen a Subaru EJ OEM water pump fail, don't replace that. It's an hour or 2 of labor. Bring your own parts (understand you will get no warranty, but it's a good way to save a buck), and get an aftermarket kit for $150. Now your bill is down to <$300. You cannot replace that car in running condition for that money. Look on Craigslist or Facebook, there are people everywhere with the skills and tools looking to make a little money on the side.
Yes Ive heard that before about the Waterpump never failing...not a bad idea..btw Numbchucks I'm fair at under the hood mechanics but Im 60 years old and destroyed my back renovating a 300k foreclosure for 80K....Somethings I cant do anymore...and Please read the title of my post " WHAT IS THE LONGEST YOU'VE EVER GONE WITHOUT A TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT??" THat was the question., I wasnt asking if I should do it...Of course I SHOULD do it....and I edited the title to add I have 3 better cars than this, this is my junker...you need to read the question before you answer my friend, ...but your skipping the pump idea in this situation isnt a bad idea, thank you for that and lets leave it at that...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I did read the question, which is why I know you're looking for some reassurance that it's OK to neglect your car, and I won't do it.

Here's my literal answer to your question. I bought a 2003 many years ago with 110k on the original belt. That scared the F*** out of me just driving it home, and I replaced the belt before I so much as started it again. That's the most miles I've known to put on an interference timing belt. Most of my cars have had the timing belts replaced 2 or 3 times before I get them, so I have to guess based on condition.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
406 Posts
I don't think anyone can give you the answer your looking for. At this point it could be any day but if your just going to drive it until it goes and grenade the motor then why not sell it as is for 1000 and not worry about it?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,190 Posts
I just found a previous post that I had been looking for that’s appropriate to quote here:

The question it raises is not “what’s the longest without replacement”, but rather “what’s the shortest with replacement and still had it fail”. This, mind you, was for a well-maintained TB system.

I think the answer should enlighten this discussion just a bit, and I would offer that this is how the question should have been framed here.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,798 Posts
read of them popped at 90,000.

read of them popped at 130,000.

read of sad people getting the belt changed only,....(for the cost of a whole kit), and popped 15,000 miles later.

read of sad people getting crap timing belt kits and them pop 30,000 miles later.

best idea for you: don't wait. swap to a new Aisin kit, or a new OEM kit.

keep after the rust.

just for asking is this a 2004 clean air states EJ259, or EJ251?

( I have 130,000 on my H4 car now, kit was changed with OEM parts just before I bought it at 65,000,...
looks good and sounds good today, = no cracks, noises, or oil leaks there....might swap when the engine gets out of the rust bucket and into a clean one)

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,275 Posts
Pick whatever number you like. Your question is not possible to answer by any metric.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts