Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 4cy auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 2.5L Outback had a torn right front CV boot. I took it in and they replaced the right axle assembly and also steam cleaned the grease off that area. They also replaced rear brake pads.
Immediately after leaving the shop I detected a low-frequency change in the sound of the engine which is most noticeable when stopped (disappears in neutral and park- happens only when a load is applied even though not rolling). It seems like the idle may be down a bit The car now sounds like a WRX. I also took car to gas up and pump clicked off at 3/4 full, would not take more. This happened again next fill at another station.
I immediately returned to shop when I heard/felt that sound and left it for a day. The guy says everything checks out on computer, etc. But it still rumples like a WRX at idle. I found the front diff oil to be at at "L" line and added to "F" but did not effect. I don't hear any exhaust leaks.:mad:
Any ideas for these 2 seemingly unrelated problems that occurred on leaving the shop?

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Couple of things.

First off replacing an axle vs rebooting is preferred by shops given they can mark up the price of a full axle and not deal with simply rebooting a $15 part. The best approach as a car owner is having your original axle if clean and fine simply rebooted given it properly fits your car. If it was a non Subaru shop chances are they sold your OEM core axle back for top value and replaced it with a cheaper non OEM axle marked up some for added profit these non OEM axles are famous for causing lots of odd issues including loud chattering while sitting stopped with the car in gear- the theory on this is that the cheaper axle has play in it and does not fit like the stock axle and it actually rattles etc.

The loud idle sound should have nothing to do with a proper Axle job but some other causes could be the air box not fully clipped into place - it is easy to replace the Airfilter and end up with the back side of the filter box not closed which does cause the car to sound loud!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts