Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I see a lot of talk of synthetics etc. I'm about to change the oil on my 2000 2.5L Outback for the first time and wondering what everyone recommends.

Since it was used when I bought it, I was also wondering if there is a way I can tell if it has already been switched over to synthetic? Don't want to throw some quaker state in on top of that.

Thoughts to you all. What do you prefer. What do they use in the World Rally Champs?

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
There are only two oils I recommend: For standard petroleum oil, Castrol GTX... for synthetic oil, Mobil 1...

Both are realitively cheap by comparison, easily attainable, and both respectivley put out great performance. There might be other companies that claim better performance, longer lifespan, etc but for me I want the piece of mind in the three aforementioned aspects first and foremost.

How many miles does you 2000 Outback have on it? Thats the first answer I need to make a good assessment on what you should get ;)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
A friend of mine who holds a BSME in mechanical engineering would blend many different oils into his SAAB engine - seemed strange to me but he said he wanted a little bit of everything.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Grimms--

the Am Petroleum Inst's "SG" rating actually has less engine protection in some ways than the previous standard (SF). layman's version is that it's getting ever less viscous to help eke out those CAFE numbrs.

i am a firm believer in synth....i can actually HEAR a difference in an air cooled bike when switching to synth. what do you think that implies for internals of engine if it's audibly quieter and happier? i use Valvoline Synpower, cuz V is the onlymaker that represents their oils meet the SG std AND all previous API grades

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's got 86,000km (53,500 miles).

Thanks for the recommendation of the Castrol GTX. My buddy uses that too and recommends it so it is good to hear another confirmation.

Now, how about filters. I hear recommendations to head down to the dealer and get the OEM's. I agree with this because OEM equals quality and designed specifically for your vehicle.

Does anyone have a good history with any aftermarkets?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Castrol GTX is a good dino oil, Mobil 1 for a full synthetic. But really, the best oil for your car is a clean oil...Meaning keep it changed at regular intervals and everything shall be protected just fine.

Brian

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought an '06 OBW 2.5i and have already changed the oil from the factory fill.

I have been using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40 in all of my vehicles for the past 5-6 years. It is a cheaper synthetic than the advertised brands and, according to my research, is a heavier duty blend that was originally developed for truck use. I found it doing research for my Honda CBR1000f bike and it is a better blend than the MC specific oils too. It is available at WalMart and most discount auto centers.

I have about 110k total miles using it in all of my vehicles with no complaints or failures to date. My bike gets a change every 2k mi. and my cars at 5k intervals.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic with Fram oil and air filters.
I have always had good luck with that combination.

My 92 Pontiac Bonneville made it to 248,000 miles with it (then my daughter totaled it).

My '03 Outback Sedan is very happy so far.

·
Registered
443 Posts
BARman said:
I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic with Fram oil and air filters.
I have always had good luck with that combination.

My 92 Pontiac Bonneville made it to 248,000 miles with it (then my daughter totaled it).

My '03 Outback Sedan is very happy so far.
Since I started visiting forums like this one, I have read nothing good about Fram oil filters but I use them too. My pop, who use to change his oil put over 200,000 miles on two cars he changed oil on (Volvo and Ford). Now he uses Express oil change.

But our local Wal-Mart did not have the size, so I got a Wix Filter from O'Reily Auto Parts and use Mobile1. Its great stuff.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
FRAM = CRAP

I've used FRAM products many times in the past, but there have been numerous tests on their air and oil filters against other popular brands... all of which rated FRAM either at or very near the bottom of the barrell. The oil filters are especially bad from what I've seen, in testing their internal filter media tends to literally fall apart very rapidly.

I myself don't particularly care to have chunks of oil filter running through my engine...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Mobil 1 and Purolator Pure1 oil filter.

K&N air filter.

Other fluids synthetic also, as applicable.

Subaru coolant.

Any old windshield washer fluid with added Bugs B Gone concentrate and RainX concentrate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Running Mobil 1 and the pure one oil filter.

I might just get the mobil 1 filters on e-bay in quantity.

Mobil 1 every 9,000 is just fine.

If it has not been changed in a while, do a change and run it for 1,000 and change it.

I knew a dude who would ran a Mercedes that took 10 qts and would change his oil every month! BUt he would wash it every single time by changing it, then the next day change it again. At 250k in the motor, it was running like a champ.

on my 02' there was lots of room to work without using a ramp.

Latex gloves kept hands clean and grippy!

The drain plug took more torque to get back on then I though. It leaked! Im did not want to over tighten.......and I didn't!

·
Registered
371 Posts
WmCraven said:
I just bought an '06 OBW 2.5i and have already changed the oil from the factory fill.
I know i read a thread on here a while back about running dino until a certain mileage point to allow proper engine break in. What is that mileage? I want to switch to synthetic, so please, someone in the know tell me when i can do it. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I usually use Castrol and a factory filter. If I can't get to the dealer, Bosch filters are usually a good substitute. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose it is possible, but highly unlikely. Especially with Bosch. They are a very good company in regards to quality and I am most sure their filters are designed around OEM specs.

You mentioned it is an "old" gasket so I think that's our answer.
I put my money on coincidence, if it just started happening after you replaced the filter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Re: Re: What's the perfect oil for the Outback?

matty said:

I know i read a thread on here a while back about running dino until a certain mileage point to allow proper engine break in. What is that mileage? I want to switch to synthetic, so please, someone in the know tell me when i can do it. Thanks!
I went Mobile One at 3,000, no problems (leaks) as of yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Re: What's the perfect oil for the Outback?

matty said:

I changed to Rotella T Synthetic at 2k miles. The first time I did this schedule was with a 1993 Subaru Impreza FWD/1.8L/Auto and I got 20%+ better gas milage above EPA ratings over the 75k that I owned the car. When I sold the car, the engine was so smooth at idle that you could not feel a vibration.
I hope to do as well with the '06 2.5L OBW.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
14 Participants
WmCraven
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing