Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread about an oil change gone bad and it reminded me of some mistakes I've made. I thought it might be fun to hear some things that some of you have done to screw your car up. I'll limit myself to my top 3:

1) I was working on my 350 chevy nova to exchange and intake manifold so I could install a 4 barrel carburetor. I had done all the prep work and had the manifold complete stripped down. I had done a lot of engine teardowns but I was dealing with constant interruptions from the phone for work and talking to people nearby. Overconfident is the word I would use. I started to pry the intake manifold up to remove it and I heard this trickling of water.

That's right I forgot to drain the cooling system and water was draining into the oil pan. I pulled the oil pug after draining the water and removed about a gallon of water before the oil even started to to drain out! :banghead:

2) I girl friend of mine needed a new water pump and the local shop wanted $500 for the repair. Ridiculous! I was in auto Tech in high school and the I could do it for the cost of the parts only, like $50. I replaced the pump and refilled the radiator. We test drove the car, no leaks... but the temp light came on. I was baffled. I sadly told her to take the car in.

They topped off the radiator and told her everything was fine. I'm not sure why things between us never worked out. :confused:

3) I've had two accidents I could have prevented. One of them was in a company vehicle at work. We have a policy of always having the passenger exit the vehicle to spot the driver when backing up. The vehicles on both side of the van were so close we had to fold all the mirrors on all cars to move the van. As I was backing my helper started laughing, I asked him why and he responded, "You know you are hitting that car, right?" :3: $1200 repair.

I now only use a spotter to confirm what I already know. I wish I could have avoided that lesson. I still get crap for what happened.

I can at least I can say I've learned from my mistakes and have never done the same stupid thing twice. I try to remind myself that often, it lessens the sting of knowing I knew better than to let these thing happen in the first place.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
When we are young, "we will live forever and we happen to know everything!"

The older we get, the more we realize that we just might not make it until tomorrow, and we suddenly come to realize that all the things we know is about .00001% of all the things that we DON'T KNOW!

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we are young, "we will live forever and we happen to know everything!"

The older we get, the more we realize that we just might not make it until tomorrow, and we suddenly come to realize that all the things we know is about .00001% of all the things that we DON'T KNOW!
A greater person than me once said "When I was 18 years old I knew everything, and now it seems I have forgotten a little more each day since."

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean Wagon
13 Posts
When I was 16 or 17 I had a ford ranger 4x4 and changed the oil one day. All was well until I noticed the fluid coming out was red. Duh! I drained the transmission instead of the engine oil. A few days later that same truck ran me over, but that another story for another thread.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
A couple days after I got my Outback a friend and I changed all the pads and rotors since they needed it badly. It was late and we got to the last wheel. We could not get the first bolt off the caliper, which we both thought was strange since the other wheels were all easy and there was no rust to speak of. Turns out neither of us realized we were tightening the bolt instead of loosening it, and we both found out how much force it takes to break one of those Grade 7 bolts (4+ feet of pipe for starters). Must have been REALLY tired for that one.

·
Registered
2006 WX8: my "Outback" > yours
978 Posts
Bringing my Impreza for a 30K mile service to what was then the oldest Subaru dealer in NJ. Long story. That was in 1998 and the dealer is no longer in business. The car is still in the family.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Starting the engine and backing the car off the ramps after doing an oil change and wondering why the oil pressure light was staying on so long ... only to realize I never put the oil in. No apparent harm, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts