Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every review is someone with their hands cupping some manufacturer's balls when it comes to car reviews or they are holier than thou cussing up a storm (YT videos)

let me be clear, I am not talking about the first drive/look preview segments, I am talking about the I have had the car for a while and here are my thoughts

why is it that no one can really be honest and we get people nitpicking vs actual data

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Do you have links to the reviews you're talking about?

Several of our own members makes very level-headed videos that are honest. Other owner videos tend to bifurcate into "I made the best decision and this is why" or "I made a huge mistake and this is why" Half cup empty, half cup full.

Car review sites that do it as a business need to increase viewers for monetization so they cannot provide boring statistics. To increase engagement they use an emotion, whether it's positive or negative so that it gets shared and revenue increases. I cringe at forced attempts to add "personality" to their videos but that's what the average youtube viewer wants - entertainment not information.

I never understood the popularity of Top Gear. It was not informative. It was antics and drama. That's what sells. Mythbusters could have been much better if they did more science and less "explosions" but advertisers need eyeballs. We are entering idiocracy territory in our mass media.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
just read any of them car and drive motor trend

they are all the same

Car and Driver: New Car Reviews, Buying Advice and News reads like and avert for cars
MotorTrend: New Cars - Car News and Expert Reviews ditto

from YT
they cannot even get the stuff right

i could go on and on and on and on but you get the idea
I didn't watch either video in it's entirety. I just watched a few minutes of each.

The former seemed like a long form commercial and the latter seemed like a decently helpful video for someone looking at a used Gen 4.

What's the issue you have with them?

Neither seemed to have screaming or nitpicking.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
20 Posts
Savage Geese does the best youtube reviews I have ever seen. He has his quirks, but the information he provides is one of the most non-biased. He is honest when he doesn't like something and extremely detailed with incredible video quality.

I highly recommend looking through his videos.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well it's no wonder that the print reviews are just about worthless, because that medium is dying. There is cross-ownership of magazines, meaning that the same staff is writing for different mags and everything they write comes out pretty much the same no matter where it is published. The writers have always been almost all freelancers, and now more than ever they are dependent on the cooperation of the carmakers to get them the material and test drives that they need.

Add in to this that the Subaru brand, even if it is our favorite, has only recently gotten to around 4% market share, and is in that regard still a small player. Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, and Honda each sell about twice as much, and FCA/Toyota/Ford/GM sell three to four times as much. So in comparison tests the Subaru product will often be left out, and when it is included I get the impression that the writers really don't know who the audience is for their Subaru opinions. In any case the Subaru product likely won't be the winner, and may get picked apart for details that will be ignored in the big brands.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
It seems like every review is someone with their hands cupping some manufacturer's balls when it comes to car reviews or they are holier than thou cussing up a storm (YT videos)

let me be clear, I am not talking about the first drive/look preview segments, I am talking about the I have had the car for a while and here are my thoughts

why is it that no one can really be honest and we get people nitpicking vs actual data
Maybe they are being honest.

Reactions: Rogier

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,704 Posts
while I don't think they are perfect, Consumer's Union has actually sued when manufacturers use their results for marketing - and they only advertise themselves so, They had no problem saying - for instance - Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon automobile was "not acceptable" (decades ago) because, they will not lose a penny in advertising dollars from Dodge. I think Suzuki sued them for something similar. (IIRC, even the Subaru 360 was panned by CU)

If there is no drama, seems like it must be created to get 'eyes on screens' - that's the money-making model nowadays.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I generally only consider an online review honest, when it is one that I agree with. I would guess that is the same for most of you all.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
A random non car related but relevant thought tangent:

I'm a big fan of 1990 film Tremors. Mixed thoughts on the sequels and series.

But the original is basically a perfect movie and gets a rare A+ for my rankings.

Any who:

If you spend much time going down the Youtube rabbit hole you'll have likely stumbled across these hack frauds talking about it:

Which is great.

But if you go even deeper down the rabbit hole you'll find this:

This is the page of the writer of Tremors personal page with never before seen behind the scenes footage not available on any DVD, blu ray, box set, streaming, etc.

And it's narrated by the writer of Tremors S.S. Wilson.

Notice the view count:

1 Million versus 1 thousand. It's 1000:1 that people click on Red Letter Media than Real Deal Productions.

Their channel names are even similar. Although I'm not sure if that's intentional.

Two middle aged drunks from Wisconsin have 1000 times as many views as the writer with personal experiences and unique footages and background info on the same subject.

So yeah...

All that to say I get it.

Youtube is great for information to the masses but there are serious limitations to the platform.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't watch either video in it's entirety. I just watched a few minutes of each.

The former seemed like a long form commercial and the latter seemed like a decently helpful video for someone looking at a used Gen 4.

What's the issue you have with them?

Neither seemed to have screaming or nitpicking.
the latter is filled with quite a few errors

EJ while they will have issues with HG the EZ36D never had them

CVT is torque converter failures not the E5AT

you cannot get the low beams from top side on either side

it's things like that I find annoying

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,401 Posts
the latter is filled with quite a few errors

EJ while they will have issues with HG the EZ36D never had them

CVT is torque converter failures not the E5AT

you cannot get the low beams from top side on either side

it's things like that I find annoying
The headlight thing is fair. He said you need to access it from below but seemed to indicate you could get some from above.

It seemed like the video was padded for time which Youtube encourages.

He said head gaskets is much more common on the 2.5.

Although it's odd to me he didn't differentiate between the EJ and FB.

The former being much more common for head gaskets and the latter being much more common for oil consumption.

I thought the issue he brought up for the transmissions were relevant to both the 5EAT and the TR580/TR690.

He talked about how it's easy for DIY'ers and unfamiliar mechanics to drain the diff and fill the trans fluid. Or vice versa.

It's happened enough here that I would agree it would be worth mentioning.

Since the set up is the same on the 5EAT I'm not sure if excluding it makes sense.

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
Tremors is one of my guilty pleasures. Along with Rare Exports, Galaxy Quest, Jason and the Argonauts, Spaced Invaders, Ernest Saves Christmas, Moby Dick (1956), Aliens, Sword of Doom, Napoleon Dynamite, and others.

don't judge me

·
Registered
17,704 Posts
There are Fords that require you to remove the intake manifold to change spark plugs I think.

And I think it's fair to mention, Subarus often are used in conditions other cars can't tolerate well, that may lead to xtra wear-&-tear. They last long enough to often go thru 3-4 or more owners, at some point, one of those owners WILL: A. use mixed size tires or B. confuse fluid drain/fill.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,915 Posts
Have to agree, big fan of SavageGeese. Also like Alex on Autos.

He is definitely more into the performance side of the market, but I think he’s fair. He seems to really dislike the market’s shift to large infotainments and favors tangible controls which is reasonable.

My biggest gripe about many YT reviews and Car reviewers in general is that they only get a car for a couple of days or a week. It took me much longer than that to learn the sensitivity of the throttles, quirks with the infotainment, and general driving characteristics in my Forester. Maybe that was because I was coming from a 2011 Outback. Over time, and with customizing my Home Screen to be “minimalist” with only a few buttons, and I can hit whatever I need to hit without looking. It must be so hard to do that when you’re in a new car - new manufacturer - every couple of days or week.

When I drive my wife’s Honda Pilot I still can’t find certain settings quickly, and we’ve owned that for over 4 years.

I am a bigger fan of “long term” 12+ month tests, since it gives the reviewers a chance to drive through all seasons and learn the car. But if you’re looking for something new - like a 2021 - you have to wait because the cars haven’t been out for 12 months yet. ;)

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,288 Posts
I think it is just a matter of people seeing that hot takes and hyperbole coupled with underlying negativity is what many people are drawn to nowadays. It follows some faux dynamic that it you are not being overly critical, even unjustifiably critical, you are not being honest. In the same sense skepticism follows positivity because (in this mindset) there is some ulterior motivator behind why someone is not being negative.

That is kinda where the prevailing cultural influence (zeitgeist?) is at least trying to take everyone IMHO.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The headlight thing is fair. He said you need to access it from below but seemed to indicate you could get some from above.

It seemed like the video was padded for time which Youtube encourages.

He said head gaskets is much more common on the 2.5.

Although it's odd to me he didn't differentiate between the EJ and FB.

The former being much more common for head gaskets and the latter being much more common for oil consumption.

I thought the issue he brought up for the transmissions were relevant to both the 5EAT and the TR580/TR690.

He talked about how it's easy for DIY'ers and unfamiliar mechanics to drain the diff and fill the trans fluid. Or vice versa.

It's happened enough here that I would agree it would be worth mentioning.

Since the set up is the same on the 5EAT I'm not sure if excluding it makes sense.

that is the point... be accurate or don't bother and they were not accurate.

Subaru extended the CVT warranty, they did not for the E5AT if there were similar issues they would have.

I was totally new to Subaru 7 years ago and even I am not dumb enough to accidentally drain the transmission or diff fluid vs the engine oil. it is clear that engine is in front of the trans on this car. I never once drained the wrong fluid.

Then differentiate by saying 10-12 with the EJ may have head gasket issues and the 2013-14 FB may have oil consumption issues.

he literally says you can try to get the passenger headlight from top of the vehicle, you cannot as there is no way to access that area due to a brace there... again inaccurate

1 - 20 of 50 Posts