Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started two weeks ago. We were driving or 2002 Subaru outback and it started to bog down while we were driving home doing around 30 miles an hour. It bog down until it backfired and quit. We pulled over, call the tow truck, and waited. After a while, we tried to start it up again and it started right up so we started to drive home from there. Only to get about a mile before it bogged down, backfired and quit again. Had it towed to the mechanic. He said it was the battery. Replace the battery picked up the car, and drove approximately 30 minutes away we're the same scenario happened again. I had it towed again. Mechanic said it was the coil pack. Replaced that. Drove it for a week with no trouble, but then alas, it happened again. This time we couldn't get it to start back up again. Until the next day is the mechanics, it cranks right up. nothing shows on the little machine that throws codes. So we went with fuel pump. Replace that yesterday, it cranks right up drove it down the road, but then when the mechanical got it back to his place, it died again. He said he checked the fuel filter, but I don't know if we still need to replace that or not. Someone also suggested and O2 sensor. Does anyone have any other ideas? Much appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,131 Posts
backfiring is a little odd....if through the tailpipe, maybe the signal from an a:f sensor is dropping out or the cat. conv. is in 'pieces' and shifting around? If backfiting seems to be from under the hood, some problem with cam timing or the valves....?
when was the timing belt system last serviced? has the car been well maintained with proper fluid services?

get it to a different mechanic, someone is guessing with your money.

in a new thread, ask for a shop recommendation near your city.

it likely needs to have live data checked and thorough examination of ground and other wires, maybe checked for dropped valve guides....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Too much back pressure in the exhaust? (Clogged up catalytic converter, bent/damaged exhaust pipe, muffler?)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,418 Posts
is it happening when the weather is damp? (electrical like engine grounds, spark plug wires)

and @1 Lucky Texan looks like Alabama to to me,
... where there are laws about having suburus, or knowledge of subarus.

things to buy if buying: NGK spark plugs and spark plug wires,
OEM coil packs. (rescue the old one out of the waste bin if you can, aftermarkets other than NGK cause problems,....like more than you got )

Denso o2 sensors. (Denso mirrors the OEM spec, others do not and cause odd problems or wasted gas).
the front o2 sensor on these contrlos everything and can produce such problems as you describe. = so the sensor itself or its wires.

replace battery wires too, such can get corrosion up inside them, (on my cars they seem to last 8-10 years, ...maybe less from a leaky battery pushing acid up in them)

I like clogged exhaust. or wide open exhaust in front of the cat. how many miles are on this car.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It all started two weeks ago. We were driving or 2002 Subaru outback and it started to bog down while we were driving home doing around 30 miles an hour. It bog down until it backfired and quit. We pulled over, call the tow truck, and waited. After a while, we tried to start it up again and it started right up so we started to drive home from there. Only to get about a mile before it bogged down, backfired and quit again. Had it towed to the mechanic. He said it was the battery. Replace the battery picked up the car, and drove approximately 30 minutes away we're the same scenario happened again. I had it towed again. Mechanic said it was the coil pack. Replaced that. Drove it for a week with no trouble, but then alas, it happened again. This time we couldn't get it to start back up again. Until the next day is the mechanics, it cranks right up. nothing shows on the little machine that throws codes. So we went with fuel pump. Replace that yesterday, it cranks right up drove it down the road, but then when the mechanical got it back to his place, it died again. He said he checked the fuel filter, but I don't know if we still need to replace that or not. Someone also suggested and O2 sensor. Does anyone have any other ideas? Much appreciated in advance.
Thank you all for your input. We got a couple of other people to look at the Subaru yesterday, and after much collaboration and guessing, we decided to go with the crank position sensor. changed it out yesterday, I told it 30 minutes last night and drove it home. Got up this morning and warmed it up for 20 minutes. No gas smell this morning, which is very common when it temperature drops below 40 degrees in the mornings, when I warm it up it would smell like gas. The colder, the more smell. But not today. It was only 37 degrees this morning but still. Anyway, I drove it to work, which is only about 15 minutes away. But so far so good. Will keep you all informed if anything changes, but I believe we have fixed it.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,671 Posts
One thing to be aware of when something like this happens - car loses power, then quits, but can be started and run after sitting a while, but it does the same again - is possible icing of the throttle body.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,131 Posts
While the car could certainly have been over-fueled, a well-known issue is loose and seeping fuel line rubber connections. If the smell is strong under the hood, as opposed to out the tailpipe, you probably just need a philips and maybe an offset philips screwdriver to search-out and tighten some fuel line clamps.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,418 Posts
I had a rubber gas line leak on my 2002 H4, would open up more in cold weather, had to leave the car overnight at a mechanic to find the specific line. (was a rubber one on the front passenger side under a protective plate near the top front corner). never had the car shut down, ...but when down like 20F it would stink and the gas would dissipate/ disappear very fast and really stink).

and people have posted about such things on their 2000-2004 H4 cars here,...so those little rubber lines must be a simple wear part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts