Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dumping a bunch of money into my outback. why? Cause it's awesome, and it deserves it. I tried out the app radio 2 and it was a nightmare. SO I am looking for a indash (non flip up) touch screen unit, that either has awesome GPS on it, or can sync with my phone's google maps. Hope there are a bunch of opinions!! I have a non- HK stereo too.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
114 Posts
Was the appradio updated withthe latest firmware? Apparently they fixed a lot of bugs in the latest update. It still looks like it wont work correctly with an iphone 5. I think you are looking for something that works like Chevy mylink.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
The latest firmware is probably from this past summer which did fix some issues. Pioneer has announced iPhone 5 kits that should be available this spring. That was a major issue when the iPhone 5 came out. The kit requires the use of two additional adapters to work. Sounds like a mess to me, so thank goodness I'm still on a 4S. If I was starting from scratch I'd wait to see the newest head units in 2013 with hopefully more seamless integration.

As far as similar app-enabled units, I like what I see from JVC. But the latest and greatest should be just around the corner. There have been some previews of things to come from the recent CES show. If you want to save some bucks, research what's out now and buy at a deep discount. If you want the latest I'd hold off until sometime this spring.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the app radio I bought was this past summer. It was supposedly the latest version, but who knows how long it sat on a shelf right? Rockthebeef, thanks for the input, you are always a huge help.

PS: I have a razr MAXX HD phone. Not the iphone.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I've got a Kenwood that uses the Garmin provided software for the GPS side. I like it, and its been fairly reliable. I'm not overly famililar with the units that use an app (or phone) to provide the GPS.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I liked the IDEA of the AppRadio, but without a CD/DVD function and without satellite radio, it just wasn't for me. So, I got the AVH-P8400BH instead, which has all those things. I also incorporated the steering wheel controls and bypassed the parking brake for DVD's and Netflix on the road. The new update allows Android and iPhone 5 as well as the previous iPhone 4S which I use. This head unit also tilts, so you can use a standard installation brace and tilt the face to be flush with the dash, it's a good set-up. See here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/481667-post23.html

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
Oh, you can use several different mapping and gps options through the AVH-P8400BH as well, I should have mentioned that in my previous post.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
I'm dumping a bunch of money into my outback. why? Cause it's awesome, and it deserves it.
anytime there is a question about my outback, this is the answer...

im interested in what you have planned for your outback

i have a kenwood excelon dnx 6980 with garmin gps, it sounds awesome, but the user interface or whatever you call the ease of use is by far the worst i have ever seen. my wife's pioneer is 100x easier to use.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I liked the IDEA of the AppRadio, but without a CD/DVD function and without satellite radio, it just wasn't for me. So, I got the AVH-P8400BH instead, which has all those things. I also incorporated the steering wheel controls and bypassed the parking brake for DVD's and Netflix on the road. The new update allows Android and iPhone 5 as well as the previous iPhone 4S which I use. This head unit also tilts, so you can use a standard installation brace and tilt the face to be flush with the dash, it's a good set-up. See here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/481667-post23.html
Sounds good! I don't like how it sticks out from the dash on the top 2 corners, I wonder if they make one similar that doesn't tilt for most OEM look possible???

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Well the app radio I bought was this past summer. It was supposedly the latest version, but who knows how long it sat on a shelf right? Rockthebeef, thanks for the input, you are always a huge help.

PS: I have a razr MAXX HD phone. Not the iphone.
Thanks ChrisJ. Hope that interior and exhaust tip were put to good use! I don't know much about the Droids, but I do know they have their own problems with AppRadio 2. I suppose it's because there are so many Android models out there.

I can get my AppRadio to do what I want, but it's can be a nightmare if you're not used to it, nor is it super intuitive. And there are so many "click OK" screens it's a little ridiculous.

the cool things:
Motion X GPS (awesome app!)
Pandora
Car Media Player
Opera web browser (never really use it though)

Perks of AppRadio that are not advertised:
Netflix works!
My Slingbox works (total Wow factor!)
...any App that supports TV out will work.

Don't know how this applies to the Droid users...

Even with that said, I'd wait to see what's coming up. Eventually it'll all be wireless and you can keep your phone out of sight.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
my wife has a pioneer avic x910bt, a few years old but i got it for $500 in '09 and its still on the pioneer website for over $1000 and its not even made anymore. i think they're at like 930 now, id suggest checking them out. i still haven't put her radio in her '12 impreza yet, need to get around to doing it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I pulled the trigger. I bought a 2013 legacy front bumper, Grill, lower fog light holes, and 2012 GT hood and scoop. I will document everything! Still haven't decided on a stereo yet...

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
sounds awesome! oh and think you meant what were the questions? why do you need a skidplate? why do your fender flares have screws in them? why are the fender liners missing? why did you take all the interior panels out? why did you get that roofrack? why is there so much dirt on the garage floor? why is the mirror cracked? why did you take the bumper off? why does your car look like it was in an accident? not all from my wife but from random people. i post pics on facebook cuz its faster to upload pics to this site by going through fb first

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Just to make things a tad more complicated on the aftermarket HU front:

I've gone with a Sony XAV-701HD in mine. Can usually find it on sale for about 100$ off MSRP somewhere. I went with this because I really liked the multimedia features of the unit itself. It was faster than the Pioneer, straight-forward to use (unlike the Kenwood), and up until recently, had a TomTom nav module you could use with it. The module could be removed for updates/etc through the same TomTom software that is used for their PNDs. TomTom has delivered some software patches/updates to the system as well. The 701 was a popular model at the shop I had the work done for the install, with employees picking it for themselves (3 of the 6 on staff at the time either had a 701 prepping for install, or had one on order).

In general, compared to the previous models, the current 601BT/701HD models are a huge improvement in performance and responsiveness, and can have nav added to the system. There is a catch though, that prevents me from really recommending this for someone who wants built-in nav...

It took me nearly a month just to find one of these modules, and Sony isn't saying why the US model is gone, while they are still selling a similar model in the EU. So, if you do want the module, it's going to be a bit of a slog before you get one. Those that get the modules seem to keep them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I bought the Appradio 2. Just ordered it ,with the android cable. ALSO found arliberator, a way to do full mirrored phone screen! NOW I need to know what else I need to have all the control possible via steering wheel (non HK 2010 version). I'll dig into the other treads on here, I have seen plenty of them. Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts