Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2017 outback premium w/ eyesight, 2.5L H4, crystal white pearl / black cloth interior
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

I am seriously thinking about getting the "Wheel Arch Moulding Kit" as shown in the Outback literature brochure.

My question(s) to those who purchased an outback and the car did not have them originally; but you had them installed later on is this:

• Did you have the dealership add them on to your sale price and the dealer install them?
  • Did you find them online new and install them yourself? If so, where online did you get them and how much? Were they easy to install?
thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi onward,

I purchase the wheel arc for my 2nd Outback online (Heuberger Motors) for $341.96 shipping included, as the previous leased Outback came with it.

I've installed myself, as the dealer quoted $168 + TAX for labor to install all 4 of them.

The instruction is a little tricky, and need to get your car clean to do the installation, but it took me like about 2 hours between re-reading the manual and installing it.

It's not as easy as I thought, but I've asked my little boy to help to pass me the tools and screw.

It's worthy, to have the wheel arc, as a tiny dent on the arc cost hundreds to get the whole area painted.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
431 Posts
I bought mine wither my Subaru loyalty coupon for a whopping $400! The installation is not that hard. Just take your time and follow directions which you can get online.

I love the way they look; making my OB more rugged and aggressive. Plus they are great to have for ding protection.

That being said, if I didn't have the loyalty coupon I would have never paid so much for 4 pieces of plastic.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
40 Posts
Just ordered a set for my 2013 from Sangera Parts for $338 shipped. Best price I could find for the 13-14 Outbacks. I'll update after they arrive on how difficult the install was.

·
Registered
2017 outback premium w/ eyesight, 2.5L H4, crystal white pearl / black cloth interior
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up getting the wheel arch molding kit.

Finally got around to installing the kit on Sunday.

Impressed with how they were packaged in their own individual plastic bag with labels on both the bag and the actual wheel arch itself telling you which wheel that part went to. No wasting brainpower figuring it out nor looking for a pre-molded "LF, LR, RF, or RR" on the part itself.

All parts were present. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name brand Medi-First Alcohol wipes, name brand 3M scratch resistant tape, fasteners looked well painted / well coated.

Install was pretty easy as I was careful. Rear wheels very easy. The front wheels were more difficult until I re-read the instructions and discovered that all of the clips that were marked in the instructions as part "I" were bent / contorted like they somehow got partially crushed when received. After using screwdrivers and needle-nose pliers to get them back as close as possible to the way the picture showed, the install went much easier.

Man!!!!!! This is a upgrade on the car. These things should be standard. It really blends in to the car, goes with the other trim and adds aesthetic value to the car. It really contrasts very well to the white paint.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,443 Posts
That does look spiffier.

The photos aren't bad, either... I can read the warning molded in the concrete. I do take issue with the punctuation in it, though.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
68 Posts
I love it... SUBARU OWNERS ARE THE MOST INTELLIGENT!!

It isn’t a comma though...
Just a piece of debris...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
I got mine dealer installed (thrown in)...however, I would prefer the European version as they are bigger and cover that extra 0.5". Seems a bit off not covering that extra section. Otherwise looks ok and add the beefiness to the car plus prevents stone chips to the inside lip for potential rust.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
68 Posts
I just got my moldings with no instructions! Does anyone have them? Or at least let me know where to find them. Thank you!

If you go to the link on the box- they’ll charge you lol...

Somebody here has a link - and even posted a PDF for me... it’s on here somewhere... I believe it is on one of my threads. I’m on Tapatalk right now.. I’d link you if I want lazy. But it’s fairly easy to find... just hopped off my MTB and I’m dead lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Touring
27 Posts
I've got my wheel arches for sale. I'm trying to attach the install instructions.

(Here's my set for sale in case anyone knows of someone looking to buy. Link and attachment not available — too few posts. Maybe PM me and I can send attachment or link)

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
538 Posts
Just picked up our set from the dealer. Can’t believe these things are over $300 for 4 strips of plastic and a dozen metal clips! This must be one of the biggest marked up item!

·
Registered
17 Posts
We bought the wheel arch molding kit at time of sale. Was $400 installed, which I was willing to pay, but they did not have them in stock and I would have had to drive back an hour each way for the install which was crazy. So the dealer ordered the part instead and will ship it to me for self install - it was $318 including tax and shipping. I think it looks a little more rugged, and a bit more 'finished' with the arch molding.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited, 2.5i
10 Posts
I think the before & after photos just sealed the deal for me. They are on my accessory list for the new ride.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
423 Posts
I installed the wheel arch moldings (kit E771SAL001) on my 2017 OB. A few comments:

• Yep, they are outrageously expensive for what they are. They're nicely made with the rubber border and all, but when I look at those strips of plastic, I can't help but think, "Each of those cost me over $75? WTF?"
  • Before you start the installation, make sure you have every one of the small attachment clips noted on the installation instructions. My kit was originally missing a few of the clips, although the dealer where I bought the kit quickly got me replacements for the missing pieces.
  • I suggest washing the car before installing the moldings to get the entire wheel well areas nice and clean, but make sure everything is thoroughly dry before you start the actual installation.
  • If you're planning to install the little Subaru splash guards (mud flaps), install those before you install the wheel arch molding. There's a little room to fudge the position of the arch moldings, but the splash guards have fixed positions.
  • Subaru should have put some sort of markings on the vehicle inside the wheel wells indicating the exact locations of where all the clips go. (For example, the car has small alignment markings indicating proper position of the optional rear bumper step protector.) As it is, installation of the wheel arch molding involves some guesswork eyeballing where the protective tape and the attachment clips should go.
  • The metal attachment clips seem rather flimsy, and do not inspire confidence that they will stay in place for the life of the vehicle. Plus, they're not stainless steel, so they're likely to rust sooner or later. For $300+, Subaru should have come up with a better attachment method. I would have preferred push pin type plastic retainers, like small versions of those that hold on the front bumper cover.
Despite all that, the moldings look nice on my OB with Venetian Red paint, and I expect they will prevent a few minor dings, so I'm glad I have them.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Limited
8 Posts
Subaru should have put some sort of markings on the vehicle inside the wheel wells indicating the exact locations of where all the clips go. (For example, the car has small alignment markings indicating proper position of the optional rear bumper step protector.) As it is, installation of the wheel arch molding involves some guesswork eyeballing where the protective tape and the attachment clips should go.
I held up each of the moldings to the fender and made a mark with a Sharpie as to where the tape would need to go. Took no more than a minute for each corner and it worked out well.

I too think the metal clips leave much to be desired in terms of a fastener, but it seems like it'll do.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts