Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the wheel arch moldings for my 2018 OB. One thing I was hoping to see in this thread was disappointment that there is no 3M strip tape to adhere to the body like I've seen in a video of an installation on a Forrester. I, for one, am disappointed. That being said, removing them every spring to clean behind them is a likely scenario. I haven't installed them yet. I'm still looking for options with the adhesive.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
Adhesive isn't really needed to keep them on the car. I considered using something like an adhesive -- or maybe a clear double-stick tape -- to seal them on more fully but decided that would wind up being a disaster, given my skills with such things as bathroom silicon caulk. They will undoubtedly get fine sand and other crud behind them, and taking them off for an annual cleaning might help, but crud accumulation probably inevitable unless you do a truly permanent adhesive-related installation, something that Subaru obviously does not intend. What I did was to get the best paste wax I could find and put a couple of coats on the clean car surface before I put the moldings on.

And they do indeed make the car look better -- it's better in person than the photos suggest. HPH

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited, Venetian Red Pearl
111 Posts
Has anyone tried plasti-dip on the arches instead of the plastic molding? Car accessories are way too expensive (I'm looking at you, nylon traction pads for $300, and you, brush/bumper guards for $600) IMO. $300 plus for plastic pieces is completely INSANE.

That said, I hippocritically will spend $14-18 on a 16oz 4-pack of craft beer without batting an eye, so to each their own. :D <ashamed>

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 3.6R Limited
125 Posts
given my skills with such things as bathroom silicon caulk.

Tip- Easy on the caulk, a little dish of vary dish-soapy water and your finger.:grin2:

Reactions: Brad99

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean 3.0. 141k
29 Posts
Because I don't like the fact that crud can get between them and the fender. I also don't like that the clips are not stainless steel and will eventually rust.

·
Banned
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring w/ Auto start and all options but the ash tray.
39 Posts
Love mine

Dealer added mine for $284.00 installed while buying my new 2019 3.6R Touring as well as the rack system , the rack system was an extra $750.00 US

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
I installed them it was easy but if I hadnt been given a $500 dealer gift card for purchasing my '18 OB I may not have bought them myself because they are really expensive!
I am wondering if anybody has bought an Outback, gotten a loyalty coupon, and then later used the loyalty coupon to buy just the wheel arch mouldings. I ain’t paying $300. I was thinking they were going to be $100 max.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts