Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Outback Premium
134 Posts
I would never pay over $150 for these ever. $300 for some chunks of plastic get real. Don't get me wrong I would love to have these, but that price is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
I would never pay over $150 for these ever. $300 for some chunks of plastic get real. Don't get me wrong I would love to have these, but that price is ridiculous.
I was imagining $20 each for a total of $80. I saw the actual price and decided my OB is doing great without them.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
765 Posts
For the sand/crud issue, the Euro/JDM ones seem to fully seal. I’ve read of a guy installing the knock off ebay ones with success (quality and figment).

I eventually would like to give those a go. Under $300.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Where can I get these and how much money.
I had gotten them off Ebay earlier in the year for less than $300 shipped. The seller had multiple sets available at the time. OEM JDM wheel moldings are nearly $600. I couldn't be happier with the quality and fitment of the copies. I tried looking for a set on Ebay for you, but none currently listed. I found only the smaller USDM version.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
765 Posts
I had gotten them off Ebay earlier in the year for less than $300 shipped. The seller had multiple sets available at the time. OEM JDM wheel moldings are nearly $600. I couldn't be happier with the quality and fitment of the copies. I tried looking for a set on Ebay for you, but none currently listed. I found only the smaller USDM version.
European ones are the same as JDM and $330ish on eBay.

·
Registered
106 Posts
European ones are the same as JDM and $330ish on eBay.
Yes, the European models falls under the JDM banner . . . only the US gets the smaller moldings. I looked in both the German and UK Ebay listings . . . none to be found.

OEM JDM moldings:

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Outback Premium
134 Posts
I found non oem sets exclusively for 2015-2020 outbacks for $189 on eBay.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
765 Posts
I found non oem sets exclusively for 2015-2020 outbacks for $189 on eBay.
That’s not a correct year span. That’s technically 3 different sets. I assume they don’t mean 2020. But there’s different arches for the 5th gen model update. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that. But there’s 2 listings based on year on the Subaru Euro ones.

Link?

·
Registered
2019 Outback
765 Posts
That’s not a correct year span. That’s technically 3 different sets. I assume they don’t mean 2020. But there’s different arches for the 5th gen model update.

Link?
Found ‘em. Those are more like the U.S. model. I wouldn’t trust those.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Outback Premium
134 Posts
I won’t post the link on here because I know SOA likes to lurk on here and hit “counterfeiters”.

·
Registered
STUBARU = 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight (package23+) Lapis Blue/Ivory
30 Posts
I held up each of the moldings to the fender and made a mark with a Sharpie as to where the tape would need to go. Took no more than a minute for each corner and it worked out well.

I too think the metal clips leave much to be desired in terms of a fastener, but it seems like it'll do.
There are clip indents on the fender where the clips go. BEWARE that the OEM clips (#8) are VERY likely to let go and you will lose your trim pieces, especially if you drive in snow or heavy rain. DO NOT RELY ON CLIPS ALONE. Place a flat ring screw at each end, and preferably an additional one where the middle clip goes. Then upgrade to a VERY stiff #10 clip for the rest of the fasteners. Do NOT buy OEM parts "clip sets for exorbitant prices, Your local parts store will have the stringer ones.

I have list several sets of trim over the past year due to poor fasteners and poor fastener placement design.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback
1 Posts
Looking through these replies, I initially purchased a set of moldings to hide the rust that's starting to form on my 2016 Outback (lived for four years in the snowbelt) and to provide a better appearance. The set came from eBay and while they did fit well, they were of a high gloss and a bubbled texture that looked very much out of place. They also didn't fit exceptionally well, so I returned them.

I ended up ordering a set from Subaru's parts website (a nightmare in itself) and they were at my door within 12 hours! I've installed one set but I think I will install two extra screws to ensure they do not pop out while off-roading or in deep snow (both of which I'm often in).

I do have a question about the fit of the OEM parts, though. Should there be a gap?

I'm kind of disappointed that the texture was bubbled instead of smooth, but at least these are of the correct color and aren't super glossy. I also just realized that the black plastic used throughout the Outback has never been the same color. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
554 Posts
Looking through these replies, I initially purchased a set of moldings to hide the rust that's starting to form on my 2016 Outback (lived for four years in the snowbelt) and to provide a better appearance. The set came from eBay and while they did fit well, they were of a high gloss and a bubbled texture that looked very much out of place. They also didn't fit exceptionally well, so I returned them.

I ended up ordering a set from Subaru's parts website (a nightmare in itself) and they were at my door within 12 hours! I've installed one set but I think I will install two extra screws to ensure they do not pop out while off-roading or in deep snow (both of which I'm often in).

I do have a question about the fit of the OEM parts, though. Should there be a gap?

View attachment 503205

View attachment 503206

I'm kind of disappointed that the texture was bubbled instead of smooth, but at least these are of the correct color and aren't super glossy. I also just realized that the black plastic used throughout the Outback has never been the same color. 🤷‍♂️
I guess installing new on a 5 year old car, the color would be off. And I think that gap is acceptable.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Did those have a Subaru stamp on them? They look a little different. I got the jdm/edm spec ones from a dealership in the UK.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 81 Posts