Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Outback through one of those drive through car washes and it must have pushed in one of the rear arch molding enough to undo some of the retaining clips, when I drove to work the next day the moulding was holding on by just the screw. I lost 3 of the 4 clips for that side, is there a source for the clips or a hardware kit available for the gen 5?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
364 Posts
I had to order a kit through the dealer. It had all of the clips , tape and screws. It was under $20. Ill try to find the part number but they can look it up.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Was the molding set for which you lost clips, the JDM version or the standard US set? Just wondering.....I have not taken any of our cars thru a mechanized car wash since 1993 when our brand new Accord lost it's grille emblem.............once bitten, never again.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the molding set for which you lost clips, the JDM version or the standard US set? Just wondering.....I have not taken any of our cars thru a mechanized car wash since 1993 when our brand new Accord lost it's grille emblem.............once bitten, never again.

Steve

I doubt I will a mechanized car wash again. They are the normal US set and I have googled every term I can think of to try and find them.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,195 Posts
I don't have any idea if the same clip is used for the front and the back but I stumbled across this a while back searching for something else. It might be helpful. Seems there is a newer design clip for the front wheel arch molding as a fix for loose moldings for some model years.

https://subaru.oemdtc.com/262/loose-gapping-accessory-front-wheel-arch-2015-2016-subaru-outback

If the clips look like the same ones used on the rear there is a part number there for a package of 4 clips. If they aren't the same maybe this will help someone else looking for the front clips. I'm guessing they are different because the lip on the rear quarter panel is most likely a lot different than the front fender.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
I doubt I will a mechanized car wash again. They are the normal US set and I have googled every term I can think of to try and find them.
Don't blame you a bit........I have been doing either wash-it-yourself places OR, more recently, the hose in my own driveway. At least this way, I control both the pressure as well as not trust physical contact between the washing brushes and the car's skin.

Hope that you find the clips.......

Call SOA? They've been very helpful to me in the past. After all, the arches are the OEM parts for which SOA is technically approving of as far as installation to their US cars......just a thought!

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took yesterday and today off of work so today I visted the parts department (closed on weekends) and they found the hardware kit and it's on order and should be in by tuesday.

Part number for the rear kit: E205SAL040

·
Registered
STUBARU = 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight (package23+) Lapis Blue/Ivory
30 Posts
I took my Outback through one of those drive through car washes and it must have pushed in one of the rear arch molding enough to undo some of the retaining clips, when I drove to work the next day the moulding was holding on by just the screw. I lost 3 of the 4 clips for that side, is there a source for the clips or a hardware kit available for the gen 5?
. Don't bother ordering the #8 clips from Subaru, they are not strong enough. Get a packet of clips from your local car parts store, as thick of a #10 spring clip as you can. Then place screws at both ends and one in the middle of the arch if possible. If you are really thorough, a strip of double sided 3M body molding tape to keep the piece "body flush". I have lost several sets of trim on both sides of the rear due to car washes, snow and heavy rain driving.
Snow builds up in the front of the rear wheel arches and literally blows the body fasteners off. The little OEM screws and fasteners are no match for the pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts