Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6, Touring, MT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :eek:

In dealing with a few different internet salesman one of them told me that wax will turn the black plastic a hazy white, he also claimed that the trailer hitch through Subaru protrudes out an "unreasonable" distance from the bumper making parking an issue. Is there any truth to this?

I know in time anything black can and does fade...but it felt like he was just trying to get me to take an in stock vehicle :28::3:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Parking issues??? Is your salesperson on crack? Get what you want on your OB, if your dealer can't make you happy, then move on to the next one. Don't settle for anything less than you want on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my impression as well. He is only one of about 10 that I have contacted.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
The factory hitch sticks out about 2" from the bumper and can be a shin buster. Many have complained about it but I've had one on both my OB's and never hit it. The only time it is an issue for me is in when space behind the car is limited and you have to "slide" your leg against the back bumper to get from one side to the other. Even then I never bumped into it. The OEM hitch is spendy.

Most of the new waxes don't haze on black trim anymore. I've used both wax and polish on my trim from Meguiar's with no issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I purchase an aftermarket hitch will it interfere with the existing warranty?

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
Like OBnube said most quality waxes nowadays won't haze trim pieces. You can [should] use Aerospace 303 protectant and it will keep it from fading over time as well.

Plus, there's plenty of black plastic trim that comes standard, so not adding wheel arch moldings doesn't really avoid the issue. Saleperson wants you to take what he has; get what you want.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Hazing can occur, but as noted there is already lots of black trim. I've had more hazing on my roof rails than my arch moldings.

The factory hitch sticks out far, cuts a notch in your bumper shield and is only 1 1/4".

For 1/2 the price go aftermarket and get a 2". Lot so threads with more details on here about that.

No, it won't void your factory warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,230 Posts
ok I have a question.
Both my Outback buying experiences (03 and last month), I had the sales people literally talking me out of any options I wanted to add - EVEN though they were charging top dollar on them.
Now I read this similar experience.

My experiences were buying a car they HAD on their lot - and just wanting to add options.

Why is it dealers are talking people out of accessories during a sale?!?!
I would think they would be TRYING to get people to add more accessories.

I dont get it, but both my OB purchases - they were NOTABLY talking me OUT of adding any accessories (telling me they are expensive, not that great, etc).

puzzled...

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
I dont get it, but both my OB purchases - they were NOTABLY
talking me OUT of adding any accessories ... puzzled...
Two possibilities:

Either they're conning you into postponing the accessory
purchases until after the car sale -- when you have less
leverage for negotiating prices...

...or, they've been huffing sodium pentothol,

Looby

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
Two possibilities:

Either they're conning you into postponing the accessory
purchases until after the car sale -- when you have less
leverage for negotiating prices...

...or, they've been huffing sodium pentothol,

Looby
^That. You don't have much say in the pricing of accessories when you buy from their parts department, but you can negotiate quite a bit when they are included in the sale of your car.

And when you buy with the sale, labor charges won't show up on the bill to install due to it basically being included with the prep of your new vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been in contact with 10 dealers most of them north of where I live. I do have a budget and I know it's possible to get most of the accessories that I want included in that budget. Does anybody have links to other threads regarding aftermarket add-ons such as backup cameras trailer hitch under guards etc.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
Just wondering why Kristoreie has 5 posts and every one is a useless single sentence cut and pasted from another person's posting in the thread?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts