Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting for a friend who thinks they may have WB issues in their Impreza. The only time I ever had a wheel bearing fail, it just collapsed and went full coffee grinder. When a Subaru bearing fails, is it a constant noise or can it come and go? Thanks.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
229 Posts
Constant "drone" noise that usually starts at around 50mph in my experience. Does NOT coincide with engine speed/noise, it is a constant drone, like a bee hive. It eventually worsens over time, and may begin at lower speeds. As you are slowing down, it will go away below that certain speed. Even though it is "constant" , it may or may not lessen when cornering into curves - a bad LH hub/bearing may be less noisy when entering into a curve/turn to the left. If it's a rear bearing, you can have a friend or family member sit in the back seat and help identify which side. I'm sure others will chime in. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Premium; EcoHitch, 19mm RSB, & Orsini vinyl design (see avatar)
76 Posts
...is it a constant noise or can it come and go...
Depends on how you or your friend is thinking of constant or come & go. So, in one sense it goes away if you go slow enough and comes back if you go fast enough. But if your friend drives at speed, it will be audible on all streets; not, audible on some streets, but go away on other streets. Similar to Flood, I recall mine being noticeable above residential speeds; >35 or so, and at first, I thought the noise was from a tire. "Droning" is a good word to describe it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll touch base with him with your input. Next time he's out my way we'll try swerving around an empty shopping center parking lot. Plenty of those these days.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,922 Posts
I recall reading that a popular diagnostic is to check each hub with an IR temperature gun after a good drive. See this post:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recall reading that a popular diagnostic is to check each hub with an IR temperature gun after a good drive. See this post:
Thanks, I'll look around to see if we can find an inexpensive one. Even a pretty inaccurate one would probably suffice, i.e, "higher" would be higher than "lower".

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,822 Posts
I'll look around to see if we can find an inexpensive one.
Harbor Freight usually has a "good enough" IR thermometer listed for sale at less than $30. (My wife and I are currently using ours to monitor our body temperatures daily. It seems to be accurate to within +/-1 degree F at those temperatures when compared with readings from medical grade IR thermometers.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts