Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - I’m curious to know if anyone has had any wheel bearing failures on their gen 5 Outback’s? I had one bearing fail at about 4K miles, which was replaced no problem under warranty. However now I’m at 35k (however 4 years now) and it sounds like I have another failed bearing, pretty tell tale sound. Anyone else seeing these failures? I’m betting it’s the same bearing that failed the first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All - I’m curious to know if anyone has had any wheel bearing failures on their gen 5 Outback’s? I had one bearing fail at about 4K miles, which was replaced no problem under warranty. However now I’m at 35k (however 4 years now) and it sounds like I have another failed bearing, pretty tell tale sound. Anyone else seeing these failures? I’m betting it’s the same bearing that failed the first time.
2017 outback 2.5 - Right rear wheel bearing humming @50k miles, replaced under warranty. I asked to see the faulty bearing and you could feel roughness and inside race was purple from heat - driven mostly around Houston and weekly to East Texas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 outback 2.5 - Right rear wheel bearing humming @50k miles, replaced under warranty. I asked to see the faulty bearing and you could feel roughness and inside race was purple from heat - driven mostly around Houston and weekly to East Texas.
Dealer service service advisor indicated they were seeing a number of wheel bearing issues as early as 30k miles but mostly with foresters

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited Carbide Grey
125 Posts
Just had my 2015 Outback Limited 2.5 with 54k on it in for a loud rumbling noise that increased with speed. It ended up being the front passenger wheel bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2015 had a driver's front wheel bearing failure today, at 75k. this car has had the transmission replaced at 55 or 60k, and the driver's seat is delaminating (the fake leather on the sides of the seat have peeled off of the white fabric backing). the head unit failed at 29k. wife's 14 forester has had the AC compressor replaced, evaporator replaced, wheel bearings and it is at 77k. Pretty disappointing for sure. I love the way the cars drive, but they have had some issues that our Hondas and Toyotas did not have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2015 had a driver's front wheel bearing failure today, at 75k. this car has had the transmission replaced at 55 or 60k, and the driver's seat is delaminating (the fake leather on the sides of the seat have peeled off of the white fabric backing). the head unit failed at 29k. wife's 14 forester has had the AC compressor replaced, evaporator replaced, wheel bearings and it is at 77k. Pretty disappointing for sure. I love the way the cars drive, but they have had some issues that our Hondas and Toyotas did not have.
. Update. I was wrong. Not a wheel bearing but a second transmission failure.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R touring
13 Posts
Just took in my '18 with 48K miles for oil change and beginning of failure of 2nd Radio head unit. While in they noticed loud rumbling and my rear passenger wheel bearing was wearing out. $329 to replace but I had it covered for $100 with extended warranty (first time ever to purchase one). Live in Houston and we have horrible surface streets and constant construction so I don't know if that impacted the wear. On another note, looks like radio unit will be replaced again by Subaru America.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
Since this topic floated back to the top, might as well add this data point.

I was in for the exhaust recall and 72,000 mile service on the '15 OB last week and asked them to check the wheel bearings because I had started hearing a speed-dependent drone on the highway. Yep. They replaced the left rear wheel bearing. They said the others were good, and it's now much quieter. This was covered under the extended warranty (buying that was also a first for me, I routinely decline them for just about everything, but with all the complex "stuff" in these cars and the CVT, it gave me some comfort - I hope it wasn't worth the money!)

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
... '18 with 48K miles ... $329 to replace but I had it covered for $100 ...
A wheel bearing replacement should have cost you nothing. It's explicitly covered under the original 5 year/60,000 mile drive train warranty ... which the dealer should have known. See your Legacy/Outback Warranty & Maintenance Guide for details.

Reactions: Danver

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
A wheel bearing replacement should have cost you nothing. It's explicitly covered under the original 5 year/60,000 mile drive train warranty ... which the dealer should have known. See your Legacy/Outback Warranty & Maintenance Guide for details.
Good catch! I completely overlooked that!

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
1,025 Posts
I've recently replaced all 4 wheel bearings in my 14 (gen 4). All 4 went bad between 140k and 170k miles. Separately. 1 at an f'in time. Figure that must be a good gauge of expected life. They were also the first non planned maintenance (brakes, tires, fluids) on the car.

Repair shop: whats the issue?
Me: wheel bearing.
Repair shop: describe the sound please
Me: sounds like a bad wheel bearing.
Repair shop: does it vary with
Me: stop. this is the 4th in 6 months, I know the sound. Right rear.

2 hours later - phone rings. Uh, sir, that sound is coming from a bad wheel bearing in your passenger side rear. You want us to replace it?
Me: ahhhh... sure. Smh

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had both rears on my 2017 go out at 50,000 miles. Was told if they couldn’t get the hub off, the total would be around $1500, but since I had an extended warranty, it would be $100 instead. That’s what the bill was..$100 total for both. I’m at 71,000 now and my driver door is rusting away. That I’m told is my problem. That fight continues.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
I had both rears on my 2017 go out at 50,000 miles. Was told if they couldn’t get the hub off, the total would be around $1500, but since I had an extended warranty, it would be $100 instead. That’s what the bill was..$100 total for both. I’m at 71,000 now and my driver door is rusting away. That I’m told is my problem. That fight continues.
Don't keep us in suspense... could they get the hub(s) off?

Isn't rust specifically covered under its own warranty? I forget these details.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,728 Posts
Isn't rust specifically covered under its own warranty? I forget these details.
The only specific rust-related warranty is for body panel perforation, but normal service procedures (e.g. replacing a wheel hub/bearing cartridge) should not include a separate add-on charge for rust busting ... warranty or not. That's what flat-rate is all about (supposedly).

Reactions: skipw

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium 2.5
96 Posts
2015 Outback.

Rear passenger side went out at 53k.
Rear drivers side when out at 62k.
Rear passenger side went out at 218k. (Also replaced rear drivers side at same time)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Didnt mean to be vague. Both rear wheel bearings were bad at 50,000 miles and I was told they were unable to remove the hubs bc they had rusted. The charge was $100 which is better than what the $1,500 the writer said would be the price without my extended warranty. Does the factory warranty cover wheel bearings at 50,000 miles?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts