Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2015 outback premium with 40k miles from carvana. Decided to skip the test drive just because I wanted to see how i liked this car semi permanent. Still in the 7 day window and do have warranty.

As soon as i start going with speed, i hear this oscillating roaring noise coming from the driver rear side of the cabin. Gets louder as i speed up too. Another way to describe it is the sound that big offroad tires make on a pickup when going down the road. I can somewhat feel the noise too suggesting it has something to do with wheel/tires. Im going to try to get to the mechanic tomorrow and see what they say but from my experience this sounds just like a wheel bearing thats going and ive heard outbacks tend to have wheel bearing problems.

I already love this car and it was the best deal i found in the past couple months so i really dont want to get rid of it. But i also dont want to get stuck with it.

And of course ima post a picture because this thing is so pretty to me!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Sky

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 馃崷The Ice Cream Man馃崷
Armchair mechanic opinion: those tires look very new and because they are Goodyear Maxlife tires I would venture to say that it is likely a wheel bearing. If the car has any warranty left it should be covered under warranty.

Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
X4. Wheel bearings
You could also use a GoPro if you have one and mount it on the outside of the car near the tires. Record each one as you drive for a certain distance, then you can likely isolate which bearing/side of the car is the problem one.

The GoPro should pick up the noise.

Registered
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
Just got a 2015 outback premium with 40k miles from carvana. Decided to skip the test drive just because I wanted to see how i liked this car semi permanent. Still in the 7 day window and do have warranty.

As soon as i start going with speed, i hear this oscillating roaring noise coming from the driver rear side of the cabin. Gets louder as i speed up too. Another way to describe it is the sound that big offroad tires make on a pickup when going down the road. I can somewhat feel the noise too suggesting it has something to do with wheel/tires. Im going to try to get to the mechanic tomorrow and see what they say but from my experience this sounds just like a wheel bearing thats going and ive heard outbacks tend to have wheel bearing problems.

I already love this car and it was the best deal i found in the past couple months so i really dont want to get rid of it. But i also dont want to get stuck with it.

And of course ima post a picture because this thing is so pretty to me! View attachment 523730
If you really like the car (and it looks nice to me!), it may be a smart financial move to have the entire car checked over by a competent mechanic, especially one that has experience with servicing Subarus.

I question why a Carvana dealer would let a car be sold without doing a final road checkout. If this is a wheel bearing problem, they should have easily spotted (heard) it & made the repair BEFORE you got the car. So - it would be worth the coin to have the car checked out bumper to bumper.

Good luck, and I hope this is resolved for you.

Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
My 2017 Outback has less than 20K miles and when I bought it earlier this year, it had the same problem as yours. I knew it was the rear bearings. Had the dealer tech go for a ride with me鈥 he said yep, bearings. The ones installed in 2017 were bad, he said. It was covered under drivetrain warranty, but I feel this is a problem Subaru should cover. Manufacturing defect.

Premium Member
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
One should also notify the NHTSA of the bearing failures on their website (include the VIN) so that as more wheel bearing failures reports start to appear, the NHTSA could likely ask Subaru to carry out a full recall if things start getting dicey for a lot of the models using the same design/bearing.

Registered
2015 3.6R Limited
I question why a Carvana dealer would let a car be sold without doing a final road checkout. If this is a wheel bearing problem, they should have easily spotted (heard) it & made the repair BEFORE you got the car.
Because Carvana?? I sold my old Outback to Carvana that was littered with issues. No way are they going to spend the money to fix it.

Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
It鈥檚 most defintely the bearing you could jack up the rear and see if the tire has some play then it would confirm the bearing is bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks guys. Took to the shop this morning. They gave me a call not too long ago letting me know BOTH rear bearings were bad. Just to add, it was a Carvana Partner so I don't think they double checked the 150 point inspect. It's getting replaced by warranty so I won't be paying a dime luckily.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks guys. Took to the shop this morning. They gave me a call not too long ago letting me know BOTH rear bearings were bad. Just to add, it was a Carvana Partner so I don't think they double checked the 150 point inspect. It's getting replaced by warranty so I won't be paying a dime luckily.
UPDATE: Got the car this morning, and the ride is SO much more pleasing. Just cutting that wheel bearing noise makes the cabin much quieter. It also made me notice that cabin noise in general is actually pretty loud compared other cars I've been in, but that's okay. I can overlook it because it's an Outback :)

Registered
'20 Outback Limited
A very similar situation on my in-law's '17 Outback Limited; front wheel bearing. Seems strange needing replacement given the vehicle has less than 30k miles & is essentially a grocery-getter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
'11 with just over 120K needed both rear wheel bearings done. Much quieter after with a slight gain in mileage, imo.

Great color, Dogeris! There was one like that in the showroom when we bought ours. It really stands out.
Thank you! It gives it a much more luxury look especially with the tan interior. I keep having second thoughts because the other colors look better with an off-road build, but seeing as I may never do it, it doesn't really matter.

Registered
2015 Outback
I had one of the first 4X4 Camrys in the country in Vermont and experienced the first failed rear wheel bearing in the country without a part in stock anywhere with 15K miles on it. Lived 6 miles off pavement and when I went in for another service was told someone in a setting similar to mine had one soon after mine. Bad dust seal.

Registered
2015 2.5 Outback Ltd
Glad I read this thread. My 2015 OB LTD seems excessively noisy from the rear in spite of new tires that were rated for quiet. ~65k miles... I'll bet it's the bearings.
Anyone here from the Charleston SC area? My two Subaru mechanic options are the dealer, Crews Subaru or Subie Doctors. Somehow I've never felt 100% comfortable with either of them but it may be just suspicion born of ignorance.

Edit: I also need to take it in for the catalytic converter recall. Is that only a dealer thing?

Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
I have a 21 OB with 12,000 miles on it and I think I have a wheel bearing making noise. Once the noise started, I rotated the tires, and had alignment done. The sound never changed pitch or decibels. Its audible at around 50mph, and fades away at 60 to 65mph. I'm pretty sure if I take it to the dealer, they will just tell me they couldn't find anything. Dealerships are good at that, unless there is a glaring problem that is obvious.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts