Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I need to replace the front wheel bearings on my 2003 Outback LL Bean. I'm looking for suggestions and/or recommendations on where to buy the bearings and all necessary hardware for the repair. I have a qualified mechanic who will be doing the work (with me assisting).

There are 140k miles on the car, and I'd like to get 300k out her. So I'm not afraid to spend a little more for quality.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as always.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Get the bearings and seals from Subaru.

Reboot the axle now while it's apart and out of the hub. Clean up the mating surface where the axle sits up against the wheel seal.

You can order a new hub for extra insurance if this bearing has failed before or it has a long unknown history from prior ownerships.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I should go to subarupartswarehouse.com and order the front 2 wheel bearings, 2 wheel bearing seals, and two outer boots? The bearings are about $68 ea, the seals around $10 ea, and the outer boots about $12 ea. Does this sound right? Do I have all of the necessary parts? Are there better places to order from?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I should go to subarupartswarehouse.com and order the front 2 wheel bearings, 2 wheel bearing seals, and two outer boots? The bearings are about $68 ea, the seals around $10 ea, and the outer boots about $12 ea. Does this sound right? Do I have all of the necessary parts? Are there better places to order from?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
There is an inner and outer seal. You need one of each for both wheels. Personally I would go with a Timken or SKF bearing and pick it up at RockAuto for about half the cost and very high quality. It is important to use a new Axle nut to ensure that the proper preload is set on the bearing when you install. Are you doing this work yourself? Do you have a press?

Here are the subaru part numbers.

Inner Seal: 28015AA080
Outer Seal: 28015AA070
Wheel Bearing: 28316AE000
Spindle Nut: 902170047

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I looked up the part numbers, and the outer seal has 2 possibilities. One appears wider than the other. Any preference? Also, I could not find the Spindle Nut on Rock Auto's site by that part number.

But I really appreciate the feedback!

I am having a Master Mechanic do the work and he has access to a press.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
To be clear, I would recommend getting the seals and spindle nut from Subaru, but getting the bearing from rockauto.

Where are you seeing 2 outer seal possibilities?

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
i agree with above too - i usually just go through subaru to get it all right since the wheel seals are annoying like that. and for one bearing here and there the cost isn't a concern to me. but there are perfectly fine aftermarket solutions as mentioned.

i would replace both CV boots, not just one. the inner is the most likely to fail as it's closest to the exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
rickprins
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing