Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had driven a front wheel bearing to the point of collapse. I have had droning for over a year but now finally there is a small amount of play in the NSF so I know which one to change.
However I can't fix it immediately and need to do a 500 mile round trip this weekend.

Will I make it??

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
952 Posts
My son ran for about 4 months with a humming wheel bearing on a PT Cruiser, when I finally replaced it over Thanksgiving, there was very little play but the tire was very worn. Keep an eye on the treadwear. If you wear it down on that tire, you'll be needing to replace all 4 tires on the Outback.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
I drove on a rear until it actually started to make the car wander.
Long before that point it was so loud I was wearing ear plugs to drive it.

I drove on a loud front one for a very long time, gave up waiting for it to get worse/loose and just went ahead and replaced it.

They can get tight though, that could give you a real nasty surprise.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had driven a front wheel bearing to the point of collapse. I have had droning for over a year but now finally there is a small amount of play in the NSF so I know which one to change.
However I can't fix it immediately and need to do a 500 mile round trip this weekend.

Will I make it??
there's no way to tell. statistically speaking - you can typically drive them quite a few thousand miles before catastrophic failure. so the chances that your 500 miles falls inside that many thousands of mile range is much larger than it falling right on the margin. mathematically you're sitting pretty good. mechaincally speaking - i don't know the kind of driving/mileage you're talking about but a year is a healthy stint on a bad bearing and I wouldn't expect extended trips to do it any favors.

the most catastrophic failure i had was knowing i had a bad bearing but leaving for a 2,000 mile road trip. It made it about 1,300 miles. i figured it would be fine...mathematically speaking ya know. luckily i made it to a friends house and he swapped me cars 700 miles from home on the side of the interstate, beautiful luck!

failures:

they can wander as stated.

ABS light can come on as the looseness of the bearing interferes with ABS sensor and tone ring clearance.

if something starts rubbing and generating heat the CV boot can smolder/catch fire.

they can seize

mind you - these are all rare but they do happen.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We decided against going this weekend after all. I don't mind pottering about locally but long distances at speed could leave us stranded.

I've had this car since it was 2 years old and it has been faultless for most of that time with now 130k on the clock - but now problems are emerging. The CD player is jammed up, the sunroof mechanism fell apart this summer so I had a problem closing it (for good) and also the middle exhaust hanger has rotted away so the system was hitting the heat shields. :frown2:

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
We decided against going this weekend after all. I don't mind pottering about locally but long distances at speed could leave us stranded.

I've had this car since it was 2 years old and it has been faultless for most of that time with now 130k on the clock - but now problems are emerging. The CD player is jammed up, the sunroof mechanism fell apart this summer so I had a problem closing it (for good) and also the middle exhaust hanger has rotted away so the system was hitting the heat shields. :frown2:
Or worse if the bearing seized up at speed.

You have a 12 year old machine with 130k miles.....parts wear out, parts fail.

What's a CD....>:)

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
952 Posts
Or worse if the bearing seized up at speed.

You have a 12 year old machine with 130k miles.....parts wear out, parts fail.

What's a CD....>:)
...it's the thing that replaced 8 track and cassette tapes. It was too difficult to mount a record player in the car :wink2:

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
...it's the thing that replaced 8 track and cassette tapes. It was too difficult to mount a record player in the car :wink2:
Chrysler did it back in the early 60's.......

Reactions: Davej98092

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was it any good? Cant imagine that setup working on the potholed roads around here ...

Got my bearing booked in to be changed a week tomorrow. I'd do it myself like I did the other side 18 months ago but it is bleak winter here now with snow, so working on my drive is not an option.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 3.0R
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New bearing is now fitted so the awful drone has gone and the exhaust hanger welded.:smile2:
It's now a pleasure to drive again and my thoughts of replacement have passed.

I like the Levorg but it is only available in the UK as a 1.6. There are a few Gen 4 3.6 Outbacks out there but they are rare and any replacement would have to be under 40k miles to make it worth it.
Looks like I won't be changing for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts