Subaru Outback Forums banner

Wheel bearing

264 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Plastixx
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Signing in from Fort William, Scotland. Thank you for letting my into this really useful site

I recently purchased a 2007 Outback 4 speed auto non turbo. The car runs very well but I suspect a rear wheel bearing is on the way out. Can anyone supply the specifications for the wheel bearing, dimensions etc ? I'd like to fit a good quality bearing, any suggestions. Timken, ***, ?

Thank you

Seumas
Reactions: Dubz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
Subaru recommends replacing the wheel bearing and hub as an already pressed together assembly. The process is pretty simple if you have some mechanical knowledge and it doesn't require any special tools. You'll need a larger torque wrench for the main axle nut (177 ft-lb) though. From memory, the worst part about doing the rear bearing is is reassembling the parking brake assembly. And don't forget to remove the wheel speed sensor before trying to pull the hub. I went with the Timken hubs when I did mine.

Here's an assortment of hubs to choose from: 2007 SUBARU OUTBACK 2.5L H4 Wheel Bearing & Hub | RockAuto May be able to cross reference part numbers where you're at.

· Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,872 Posts
When you order your part, Timken is proven, order a wheel hub assembly.
They don't use wheel bearings/races like the old, pre-abs cars.
Never pound on a new hub. It's flawless face is critical for even brake rotor action

· Registered
2005 Outback 3.0RN H6, on LPG - BRC system
80 Posts
Hi there from Down South!
Well, it's all relative hey, I'm about 350 miles south of you in Manchester!
When I did the rear left on ours, I used the hub / bearing assembly from First Line, Ref FBK1258. I have only done 17,000 miles on it so in reality can't vouch for longevity.
Cheers!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to all who responded. There's lots of helpful advice there. I don't have a bearing press so the best and easiest option seems to be a complete wheel assembly. One final question. Are the assemblies handed ? are they specific to left and right hand sides.

Best wishes

Seumas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts