Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2005 Forrester 2.5
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'll be replacing all 4 wheel bearings on my '08 Outback. At 180k miles, the right side ones are completely shot and the left side are making a little noise too.
Seems fairly straight forward...4 bolts on each hub assembly. Any tips or tricks you want to share (or pitfalls to avoid)?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
inspect CV joint boots - good time to address split boots.

brake pads, lca rear bushings - generally inspect everything under there.

·
Registered
2005 Outback AT 265K Miles / 2005 Forester 2.5i Engine 140K Miles 140K MilesMiles 133K Miles
141 Posts
If you're going to keep the car for the forseeable future, I agree 100% with 1 Lucky Texan. Unless you've already replaced them recently, consider a complete overhaul, including brake rotors/pads, LCA bushings, struts and mounts, ball joints, swaybar end links, and axle assemblies. The parts are not expensive and if you're doing it yourself, you'll save a LOT of inevitable labor.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Get some AeroKroil or PB Blaster as the flat part of the hub assembly can rust to the knuckle making it tough to get off. The Subaru mechs have a tool that bolts on to the hub and they beat the tool with a 3lb sledge to break the bearing assembly off the knuckle. You may be lucky and it comes off easy.

This is a home made version

Sometimes a slide hammer works and sometimes it just pulls the wheel hub out of the knuckle. YMMV

I only have done the press in ones and I'm not sure if these are any easier, especially if they are rusted in.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
PB Blaster by the gallon and an impact wrench with the appropriate sockets.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
rust isn't your friend. they come out easy in general but if there's rust they can be beastly.

agreed on checking CV boots or just rebooting them while it's off. they always need replaced at least once, if not twice by 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My hub was so rusted into the spindle that even soaking it for days in penetrant, and using a 5 lb slide hammer, smacking the crap out of it with a sledge, and using the power steering trick didn't work for me. I had to put the spindle in a press, and press the hub out. Once removed, there was a BUNCH of rust inside the spindle, so I ground that off, and put on a coating of anti-seize before installing the new one. FYI, if your hub is rusted in, your ball joint probably is too. My pinch bolt broke, and had to be drilled out, and then the BJ was rusted in. I had to soak the crap out of it with Kroil to loosen it enough to pound it out from the top with a big screwdriver. The whole process took over 3 hours in my buddy's machine shop. If I didn't have access to a shop, I would probably just buy a new spindle, and sell the old one on Ebay. I'm getting ready to do the other side, but before I go straight to the machine shop, I'm going to soak everything down with Kroil and drive it for a week to see if I can loosen it up. I think I will heat and candle wax the pinch bolt to see if I can remove that without snapping it. Anyway, bottom line is, it was a lot harder than it should have been.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
5 Posts
Im looking to replace my hubs.

Just in case Ive worn throught rear cv axles im looking for pricng but I cannot seem to find a part number for the rear cv axles. are all four the same?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts