Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the front end.. say you are going straight ahead the wheel kind of shimmy's. but if you nudge the wheel to the left quickly the feeling becomes stronger, nudging the wheel to the right has no change..

my lug nuts are on tight.. Now I'm thinking axles? And when I put in a replacement transmission I looked at the front axles and I never seen axles with grey looking axle cups come stock.. maybe they are aftermarket? Also anything under 60 MPH I don't feel it, and I don't feel it off throttle.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
What about when braking? I would start with a thorough inspection of all frontend components. You axles sound aftermarket and could be the cause, but there is so much more that could be also. Start with inner and outer tierod ends. These will be the most likely suspects. Ball joints are next, then control arm bushings. Also just being slightly out of alignment can cause a high speed shimmy. Getting the alignment should include inspection of the other items mentioned.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When braking I don't feel anything..

I haven't done the inner and outer tierods i did it on my last Legacy but what's holding me back was it was a royal pain to get the lower ball joint out from the knuckle and I remember the metal cracked in that area because it did not want to come out.

That could be the cause as well

Also I can't tell if these axles are aftermarket or stock.. I've never seen the axle cups on the inner DOJ a grey color.. Most Subaru's I've seen have been Green or Black.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Quick and easy.

When was the last time you had an alignment done?

If its been within the last 30k, then drive the car at the speed it starts to vibrate and then let off the throttle. Then on the throttle. Try to feel for which side its coming from or whether its front or rear. This can narrow the search.

A misaligned wheel assembly due to wear or failure of a part will cause what you describe as well as a bad CV axle. Tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings and even the wheel bearing will effect the alignment of the wheels when driving because it allows for movement of the wheel assembly in a direction outside the spectrum it would be if all were solid.

Jack up the car and rest it on stands. Both front wheels need to hang, so set the stands on the undercarriage or siderails. Grab a wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and shake it smoothly while feeling for anything other than smooth tension. If you feel like something is loose, try to watch the joints of the steering, inner and outer tie rods, or have someone else watch it, or put their hand on it to feel for the gap in the joint.

After that, problem located or not, grab the wheel at 6 and 12, doing the same thing. If there is any movement in the wheel, look to see if its a ball joint or the wheel bearing.

The shaking in the wheel when on the accelerator is being caused by torque on the wheel accentuating the problem. It goes away when off the accelerator because the torque is reduced.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if you don't identify any thing, swap the front tires to the rear.
i had a new michelin tire cause vibration at speed, 60 - 70 mph. i had it balanced 3 or 4 times and had the alignment checked twice.

when i moved it to the rear the vibration went away.

bad tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
canubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing