Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LTD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I replaced my 2005 3.0R with a 2016 3.6R LTD. I still have the steel rims with snow tires from the old car, and I'm trying to figure out if they will work on the new car. I did some searching and came across a chart of wheel specs across the years, and it looks like the pattern & offset are the same, but the chart listed an inset value for the later years, which wasn't mentioned in the older ones.

I'm pretty sure the tires on the steel rims now are the OEM size 225/55R17, though I don't know how much tread is left on them.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,486 Posts
your 2005 rims are 5x100

your 2016 rims are 5x114.3 (the change on outbacks and legacy was in 2015)

so no.

good news,...now is a good time to sell snows on rims. (to anyone with 2000-2014 subarus)

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,361 Posts
Eagle: Would those rims and tires work on my '01 legacy wagon, or would there be clearance issues? It currently uses 15 inch rims.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,486 Posts
Eagle: Would those rims and tires work on my '01 legacy wagon, or would there be clearance issues? It currently uses 15 inch rims.
those 2005 steelies would be 16 or 17" (a 2005 H6 would have come with 17" alloys, but a 16" would still fit on it with its typical brakes in that year).

16" rim is better for a snow vs. 17" as the sidewall on the 16" tire is deeper to protect the rim from late winter / early spring pot holes.

_____

if you are out to keep the car and ever need to swap brakes,....maybe upgrade to 2003 H6 style calipers / rotors/ pads. (can't use your 15" rims anymore though,...need 16" or bigger).

_____

as far as clearance for the tire. outbacks have wider tires then legacy. ...probably fit.
maybe a little rubbing on the worst bumps when you hit them too fast.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,361 Posts
_____

if you are out to keep the car and ever need to swap brakes,....maybe upgrade to 2003 H6 style calipers / rotors/ pads. (can't use your 15" rims anymore though,...need 16" or bigger).

_____

as far as clearance for the tire. outbacks have wider tires then legacy. ...probably fit.
maybe a little rubbing on the worst bumps when you hit them too fast.
Will keep that in mind once I get the car on the road, get some mileage on it, and get a feel for any weaknesses in the brakes.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,486 Posts
Will keep that in mind once I get the car on the road, get some mileage on it, and get a feel for any weaknesses in the brakes.
I had a 2000 outback wagon,.... in the press articles at the time, subaru was panned for brake fade. 2001 got a wider front brake rotor.

however, as these cars are now 17+ years old,...maybe some owner / mechanic has upgraded or swapped on better stuff.
(as looking and subaru dealers have those original 2000 part #s listed as discontinued,...so if anyone buys dealer brakes they are going to get bigger 2001 stuff anyway).

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LTD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your 2005 rims are 5x100

your 2016 rims are 5x114.3 (the change on outbacks and legacy was in 2015)

so no.
Eh, close enough, I'll just have to hit it a little harder with the hammer to get them on. :grin2:

No? Ok, fine. It's currently got Yokohama Avid Ascends with a lot of tread depth. I think I'm going to try and get through this winter with those, and get wheels & tire next year.

those 2005 steelies would be 16 or 17" (a 2005 H6 would have come with 17" alloys, but a 16" would still fit on it with its typical brakes in that year).
They are 17".

Thanks for the info.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,486 Posts
Eh, close enough, I'll just have to hit it a little harder with the hammer to get them on. :grin2:

No? Ok, fine. It's currently got Yokohama Avid Ascends with a lot of tread depth. I think I'm going to try and get through this winter with those, and get wheels & tire next year.
best prices on tires /rims is in november. so maybe price the package on line around 11/12/17,...and wait till 11/12/18

people sell cast offs for 2015-present on here, and craigslist occasionally.
(...for you probably worth driving around new england as far south as NJ, to get a set with TPMS on them).

maybe some used stuff pop up in april for people not wanting to store them for a car they are getting rid of anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts