Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had me drive Outback because she said its squeaking. I drove it the night before and all was OK for a 25 mi round trip.

So what I found was that this thing is squeaking bad. People in parking lots turn around and look. From what I can tell, the RF hub/brake outer CV area is making huge amounts of noise whenever the wheel is in the attitude of turning left. Doesn't seem to matter what angle. All it takes is to be left of center, even like changing lanes or avoiding debris in my own lane. Secondly, it also squeaks whenever I am on throttle, just not as loud. So maintaining speed on any road surface except downhill. Accelerating from a light or stop sign. Doesn't matter, until I turn the wheel left, then it really gets loud. I have unable to really do much to diagnose this problem since yesterday, but when I took it out last night, I parked it while running and tried to look up under that area and saw nothing unusual. Also had my daughter turn the wheel in park. Didn't seem to notice anything. So my first inclination is that CV joint, but before I go about tearing into this thing when I don't have time to do so, I was hoping for some collective knowledge.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Likely CV joint or wheel bearing. Could also be a sticking brake component perhaps...

But do inspect all related bushings to that area.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza SP CVT
385 Posts
Does the noise stop if you apply the brakes?

If so, the squeal is the brakepad wear sensors indicating the need for new pads.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
really doesn't seem like a CV joint - brakes most likely....

nothing wrong with critical examination of everything in the wheel area on a car this old though. even loose lugnuts can cause a 'creaking' sound at times.

the loudest brake noise I ever heard was a squealing when a pebble was caught between the dust shield and rear of the rotor on my old Datsun 2000.

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
papajam wins the Pub Quiz.

RF rotor looks nasty bad.

I bought high-carbon rotors and ceramic pads already. Will I need a brake kit to finish this out? or pin lubricant or something?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
always regrease the pins with high quality grease. the grease/pins/bushings are a likely causative agent here. if you properly grease subaru slide pins everything but pads and fluid often last the life of the vehicle.

i don't know what you mean by "brake kit" but you don't need to replace anything but the pads. and of course you'll want to replace that one...apparently you're doing both...rotor(s). nothing else is needed.

if you're planning on owning the car a long time it's not a bad idea to consider brake pad clips. rarely an issue but they're cheap and can get bent and build up on them that hang the pads and will treat your new pads nicely.

the rubber bushings on the pins swell and seize the pins if you use cheap grease. i pull them off and throw them away myself. but just use Sil Glyde or some other brake grease instead of generic.

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front brakes and rotors are done. The pads were pretty new, but the rotors were already shot when I bought it. Go figure. They are junk now.
When I put it all together and started snugging lug nuts, the RF felt loose. I thought it was that the rotor didn't seat against the hub, so I redid it, but no fix. The LF also did not feel loose. And after putting it together, the squeek is coming back intermittantly. Funny, though, I have never heard of a squeek being a symptom of a bad bearing. Whaddaya think everyone?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,620 Posts
had a bad WB on my old SRL-311 that sounded like cartoon leather shoes squeaking when driving slowly past a fence or wall. Had a silent rear WB (found by lifting/rocking up-down) on my WRX as well as a very loud 'growling' one on the front.

Subaru WBs probably have the widest set of WB symptoms of any car.

·
Registered
01 Outback 3.0
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are the bearings going to need an OEM solution or are there satisfactory aftermarket? Or would a spindle be a better purchase?

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,277 Posts
I have had the PARKING brake shoes drag a little and cause a squeek. Lifting the parking-brake handle a click or two would make the squeek go away.

Have you tried lifting the parking-brake handle to see if the squeek changes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts