Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you didn’t know this, cause I didn’t , you absoluteLLy can remove wheel studs from the front and rear of your 2nd gen outback without taking off the spindle. I recommend buying 5 studs at a time, and use a little WD40 in getting them back in, it makes a world of difference vs not lubricating. I set out to repair one today, and ended up doing 4. Shame on the Ahole who carelessly boogered up those threads so bad that I had that many snap on me on alone one spindle.

I wanted to put this on the what did you do with your outback today thread, but I’m on my phone and could not locate the thread.
Good day subaru family.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,102 Posts
Good pointer, thanks! Curious - what did it take to convince the old studs to pop out, just a little hammering?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good pointer, thanks! Curious - what did it take to convince the old studs to pop out, just a little hammering?
I believe I could have hammered them out with no other help, but I used a map gas torch, little home depot deal, to heat up the first one, and it it came out just fine. The rest came out just fine, and I didn't even use the torch. The heat probably helped with the whole spindle being warmed up. Used a petty heavy steel hammer. I don't think you regular carpenters hammer would be enough. WD40 is a must when you install the new ones. I was able to fish the new ones in through the back pretty easy once finding the sweet spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts