Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a 2018 3.6 limited, has anyone had a dealer swap wheels and go to a 17 inch wheel instead of the 18's. My reasoning behind this is the car will be used for some beach driving and when airing down I'm more comfortable with the higher sidewall of the 17's. I also live in the pothole state and having more sidewall also helps there. third reason is I'm thinking of going to a 5 tire rotation so in case I lose a tire after 20 or 30k miles I don't have to get 4 new ones and the 17's are considerably cheaper and have more options then the 18's.

So has anyone purchased a limited and had the dealer change to 17 in wheels for them??

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,383 Posts
I was told a dealer would not do this for regulation reasons.

Your best bet is to find someone in the forum with the factory wheels and offer to swap. If you're going from 18 to 17 you could likely make a few dollars on that as well.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited EyeSight
56 Posts
My dealer did that for me at no charge.

PS: They switched the 18" wheels and tires on the car I was buying with 17" wheels and tires from another unsold Outback on the lot. They said they sold the 18" as a dealer option for a profit.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
My dealer service shop is putting my new 17s on my 3.6 limited to replace the stock 18s. I even had tire rack ship them the tires so they will be on when I pick up soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dealer did that for me at no charge.

PS: They switched the 18" wheels and tires on the car I was buying with 17" wheels and tires from another unsold Outback on the lot. They said they sold the 18" as a dealer option for a profit.
Did you notice any difference between the 18 and 17"s assuming test drive was with 18's??

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited EyeSight
56 Posts
No difference that I could tell, I wanted 17s for the same reasons you do plus I don't like the look of the 18s.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
157 Posts
Does anyone know why the 2018 Touring trim retains the wheel design from 2017 while the 2018 Limited has a new design? I'm sure it's mainly a styling choice by Subaru, but it's a head-scratcher like the limited exterior colors they offer for the Touring.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
Does anyone know why the 2018 Touring trim retains the wheel design from 2017 while the 2018 Limited has a new design? I'm sure it's mainly a styling choice by Subaru, but it's a head-scratcher like the limited exterior colors they offer for the Touring.
I believe when the Touring trim was released last year, the rim design are "new" in the sense that they are a slightly different color from the 2017 Limited rims even though the design and spoke pattern was the same as the Limited.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
27 Posts
Update on tire swap

I'm looking at purchasing a 2018 3.6 limited, has anyone had a dealer swap wheels and go to a 17 inch wheel instead of the 18's.

. . .

So has anyone purchased a limited and had the dealer change to 17 in wheels for them??
To update this year-old thread, I also proposed to the dealer to swap the 18s on a new 2019 Limited 2.5i with 17s, and the dealer said "sure no problem, no extra charge." Until the service department said it would cost $276 to replace the TPMS sensors too! We agreed to split the difference and it then took a while because the service tech had to call SOA for directions, but it all worked out and I am very happy to have the 17s for the reasons stated by jay dog.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
27 Posts
Uh oh, a potential issue: Even though they swapped the wheels and tires, the tire pressure sticker on the driver’s door is for the OE 18” tires. Does anyone know what the sticker says for the OE 17” tires on the 2019 Premium or Base trims? I may swing by the dealer and take a picture of one.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,593 Posts
the tire pressure sticker on the driver’s door is for the OE 18” tires. Does anyone know what the sticker says for the OE 17” tires ...
Correct tire inflation pressure doesn't vary with wheel size or tire size. Tire load rating is what matters.

According to the Factory Service Manual, tire inflation pressure should be the same (35F/33R psig) for all Gen 5 Outback OE wheels and tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts