Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a 2013 OB and like the idea of the protection from door dings these provide, so am considering getting them installed.
Will these trap road salt and moisture, thus leading to premature rust? I mean, how are they atatched? glue/screw/both?
I'm thinking it may be better to suffer door dings, which don't normally penetrate the paint.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
I just added the factory body side moldings onto my 2010 myself, they are attached with 3m tape. It looks as though the high arch moldings involve drilling and screwing, that turned me off on them. I also installed door edge guards from bumper defender, I sent for samples of the available blue and they sent like 11 different shades I chose one that matches very well (almost perfect match) and I ordered 48" long ones as well to use in place of the arch moldings as my wife did not like the arch moldings in the 1st place.

Car Door Edge Guards - Stop Door Damage with Door Edge Guards

And no, I do not have anything to do with them.

If you have a front plate checkout this mount as well, mine had the plate screwed directly to the bumper very tacky if you ask me!

Shop for 2010, 2011 Subaru Outback Wagon Front License Plate Frame/Bracket Assembly Housing, for a grand entrance, enhanced vehicle styling, protected license plate/frame and more finished front end.

note: 2013 uses a different model mount..

again I have nothing to do with this company either..

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
the body side moldings are just held on by sticky tape. personally I think they make the car look like it was styled in the mid-90s. the wheel arch moldings are held on by screws. theyre not difficult to remove and clean out then reinstall. the only drilling is 1 little hole, in the plastic, in front of the front tires.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,684 Posts
...:2cents: The wheel well guards look nice, but due to their location they collect a lot of road crap and I think that will be a problem in the future. I had a civic with a lining that the dealer took off due to the fact that it collected a lot of dirt and lead to led to early rusties.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
The rear mudguards (like mud flaps, but molded plastic) trap dirt and mud against the bottom corner of painted metal wheel well. I found this when I installed my hitch. Had to remove them to remove the bumper cover. I took mine off and threw them out.

Don't know about the rest of the plastic, but it sure seems like a great place to trap dirt, which will act like sandpaper and take off paint, then trapped moisture against the bare metal will do its thing. Just my opinion, no direct observation of this happening.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
I have the wheel surround moldings, I take them off once a year, clean them up and wash and wax underneath them. I've not noticed any issues after three years and 85,000 miles. Ohio's not shy about using road salt, so I like to keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,684 Posts
I have the wheel surround moldings, I take them off once a year, clean them up and wash and wax underneath them. I've not noticed any issues after three years and 85,000 miles. Ohio's not shy about using road salt, so I like to keep an eye on things.
...very good idea...preventative maintenance 101...

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I had door side moldings on our 2011, DID NOT re-up on the 2012. Total dirt catcher and well NOT stop door dings. They sit too low. They are cosmetic only. If you need the flat sheet metal broken up visually, go for it. Waste of a lot of money IMO.

·
Registered
2014 Outback Premium
4 Posts
I am a new Outback owner (car is just 48 hours old!). i have the same concern about the wheel arch moldings causing rust. Like chrisi i also live in Ohio and i keep cars a long time (10 - 11 year). As I don't drive many miles per/year (only about 5k - 6k) i find that cars develop plenty of rust while the engine is still in great shape and i get rid of the cars because of rust rather than other mechanical issues related to mileage.

I have ordered wheel arch moldings for my car, and while i like the idea of protecting the wheel area from inconsiderate drivers that think nothing of whacking someone else car with their door or maybe shoving a shopping cart into an parked car, i am also concerned about salt gathering under the molding and accelerating rust.

I'm curious to know if there are any updates on this topic - thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts