Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R LTD w/Nav & ES (prev 2010 OB 3.6R Ltd)
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been prescribed a power "scooter" to increase my mobility (currently limited due to respiratory illness.) I will also be provided with an electronic lift for installation on my 2010 OB. I am told I need a Class-III hitch, which I believe I already have (Subaru installed OEM). I'm also told I need a 2" receiver - but believe the OEM hitch has a 1&1/4" receiver...can anyone confirm this?
I would also be interested in info anyone might have RE experience with this type of wheelchair/scooter transport with an OB. Pros and Cons. I've seen some postings indicating long-term use can torque the body. Have also seen indications that beefed rear suspension is recommended. We towed a small (8') U-Haul from West TX to FL last year with no noticeable problems so I believe this rig should work. Any Comments/suggestions/observations please..

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
2" hitches are available. Reese, which is what I have on my 2007, has one for the 2010.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I have been prescribed a power "scooter" to increase my mobility (currently limited due to respiratory illness.) I will also be provided with an electronic lift for installation on my 2010 OB. I am told I need a Class-III hitch, which I believe I already have (Subaru installed OEM). I'm also told I need a 2" receiver - but believe the OEM hitch has a 1&1/4" receiver...can anyone confirm this?
I would also be interested in info anyone might have RE experience with this type of wheelchair/scooter transport with an OB. Pros and Cons. I've seen some postings indicating long-term use can torque the body. Have also seen indications that beefed rear suspension is recommended. We towed a small (8') U-Haul from West TX to FL last year with no noticeable problems so I believe this rig should work. Any Comments/suggestions/observations please..
We have a city worker who uses a lift mounted on the back of subarus older - experienced Subarus given he only gets 3-4 yrs out of them before the frame starts to bend they kink right at the back edge of the back doors. The issue is that the lift and chair exceed the safe operating limits of 200lbs on the cars rear subframe. The chair and the lift can't recall is close to or over that 200lb limit and is levered so the loads are even higher.

I would say that going into it knowing that eventually the back section of the car behind the rear door could be bent and your OK with this risk as he is given he buys old cars cheap and runs them till they are more or less junk yard material then Go for it.

You need the exact lift weight and chair weight before you can consider the OB as an option.

As for the hitch the OEM hitch is 1 1/4 the only two inch hitch options are aftermarket hitches which have only been maid since about mid 09 for the newer models. For the older Gen3 09 and older outbacks I don't remember seeing any of the makers offering 2inch hitch receivers yet.

If its a must you may need to go to a welding fab shop and have them modify your hitch to a 2inch receiver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a city worker who uses a lift mounted on the back of subarus older - experienced Subarus given he only gets 3-4 yrs out of them before the frame starts to bend they kink right at the back edge of the back doors. The issue is that the lift and chair exceed the safe operating limits of 200lbs on the cars rear subframe. The chair and the lift can't recall is close to or over that 200lb limit and is levered so the loads are even higher.

I would say that going into it knowing that eventually the back section of the car behind the rear door could be bent and your OK with this risk as he is given he buys old cars cheap and runs them till they are more or less junk yard material then Go for it.

You need the exact lift weight and chair weight before you can consider the OB as an option.

As for the hitch the OEM hitch is 1 1/4 the only two inch hitch options are aftermarket hitches which have only been maid since about mid 09 for the newer models. For the older Gen3 09 and older outbacks I don't remember seeing any of the makers offering 2inch hitch receivers yet.

If its a must you may need to go to a welding fab shop and have them modify your hitch to a 2inch receiver.
Thanks for the response to my question. I actually found a Med Supply site that sells rear trailer hitch mounted lifts for scooters and uses an Outback as the example vehicle for one lift and a Legacy (2008 I believe) as an example vehicle for mounting another model lift...it looks (from their product demos) like the Outback should handle it. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Thanks for the response to my question. I actually found a Med Supply site that sells rear trailer hitch mounted lifts for scooters and uses an Outback as the example vehicle for one lift and a Legacy (2008 I believe) as an example vehicle for mounting another model lift...it looks (from their product demos) like the Outback should handle it. Thanks again for your input.
I never found marking material to be factually correct.

Find out how much the chair and the lift weigh. Thats your answer!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Followup on installation of hitch for chair/scoot lift

After some deliberation, and in an effort to save Uncle Sam and the VA some money, decided to keep the OEM hitch that was on my OB and have the electronic chair/scooter lift mounted on it. Professional Med Supply contractor did the install.

OEM hitch (1&1/4") required a modified receiver - resulting an extended mounting of the lift that left the platform and motor dangling nearly 10 inches from my bumper. I tried it for a couple of days without putting the scooter on the lift and it bobbed and bounced to the point that I was afraid it would snap off...good thing I left the scooter at home.

In the end, I had the OEM taken off and a U-haul Class III with 2" receiver installed - (which also cost an added $225 for the Subaru dealer to remove the OEM hitch before U-Haul would touch it!) Result was a much more stable mount that brought the rig within an inch of the back bumper cover -- solid as a rock and rides like it isn't even there! In a word, the OEM hitch is crap -- at least for this application.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
After some deliberation, and in an effort to save Uncle Sam and the VA some money, decided to keep the OEM hitch that was on my OB and have the electronic chair/scooter lift mounted on it. Professional Med Supply contractor did the install.

OEM hitch (1&1/4") required a modified receiver - resulting an extended mounting of the lift that left the platform and motor dangling nearly 10 inches from my bumper. I tried it for a couple of days without putting the scooter on the lift and it bobbed and bounced to the point that I was afraid it would snap off...good thing I left the scooter at home.

In the end, I had the OEM taken off and a U-haul Class III with 2" receiver installed - (which also cost an added $225 for the Subaru dealer to remove the OEM hitch before U-Haul would touch it!) Result was a much more stable mount that brought the rig within an inch of the back bumper cover -- solid as a rock and rides like it isn't even there! In a word, the OEM hitch is crap -- at least for this application.
Very possible they had an adapter on the hitch which are known for adding lots of play and wobble to anything you hook them too. Which is why they are not advised for any sort of use where the load is anything more than a light weight bicycle etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.