Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock tires just got a gash in them so I've been browsing through the forums and have come up a bit short on what I'm looking for. In about a month I will be heading out on a 3000+ mile road trip with my 2018 2.5 L Premium Outback. I'm looking for a well rounded tire that has the following characteristics:
  1. Gets good mpg
  2. Long tread life
  3. Similar or less road noise as OE tires
  4. Able to handle mild off-roads, basically enough to get me to remote trailheads and campgrounds
  5. Won't break the bank
  6. Comfortable Ride
I live in Southern California but travel occasionally to areas with a good amount of rain/snow. I've been eyeing the Vredestein Quatrac 5 but I'm not sure if it perform well in predominately hot and dry conditions.

Also, I'm contemplating upgrading from the stock wheels. I want to keep mpg so I would like something lightweight and strong. Been seeing a lot of good things about Method Wheels, any other suggestions?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I'm pleased with Continental lately. I have TrueContacts on Mal (about 25 K miles, minimal wear) and PureContacts (under 1000 miles) on Sprout. Haven't had sprout off pavement, but Mal has done plenty of mostly well maintained dirt and gravel roads to camping areas.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,215 Posts
what I would do:

take your time, read the threads here, lots of them asking the same thing.

really good ones are about california and snow chain laws for those trying to make the ski hills on the worst roads,

from there home where it is hot enough to wear shorts.

____

you might just wear the sucky factory duelers out while you decide what tires to buy.

____

some people put A/T and real snows on their own rims, and only put them on when heading up into the california mountains.

So like Michelin Premiers as regular all seasons, and then the special ones only on the trips you need them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stock tires just got a gash in them so I've been browsing through the forums and have come up a bit short on what I'm looking for. In about a month I will be heading out on a 3000+ mile road trip with my 2018 2.5 L Premium Outback. I'm looking for a well rounded tire that has the following characteristics:
  1. Gets good mpg
  2. Long tread life
  3. Similar or less road noise as OE tires
  4. Able to handle mild off-roads, basically enough to get me to remote trailheads and campgrounds
  5. Won't break the bank
  6. Comfortable Ride
I live in Southern California but travel occasionally to areas with a good amount of rain/snow. I've been eyeing the Vredestein Quatrac 5 but I'm not sure if it perform well in predominately hot and dry conditions.

Also, I'm contemplating upgrading from the stock wheels. I want to keep mpg so I would like something lightweight and strong. Been seeing a lot of good things about Method Wheels, any other suggestions?
Just put a tire wheel pkg on my 17 OB and like how it turned out. Bought pressure-cast BBS wheels from Tirerack after a lengthy decision process. Almost bought MODA wheels which were a lot less $$$ but were not pressure-cast. Very happy I went with the BBS’s they are super well balanced. Put Michelin LTX premiers 235/60/18 and they are very nice. Best all season rating for wet and light snow. Unbelievably quiet and a huge change from the OE Duelers. Only drawback are some reviews that say they don’t get the guaranteed 60k miles. In terms of off road they are sold as an upgrade pkg on Trail Hawks ...going fishing in Montana in September and will test whether they work well on dirt trails. Will try to attach a pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 3.6R - Wilderness Green
13 Posts
Just put a tire wheel pkg on my 17 OB and like how it turned out. Bought pressure-cast BBS wheels from Tirerack after a lengthy decision process. Almost bought MODA wheels which were a lot less $$$ but were not pressure-cast. Very happy I went with the BBS’s they are super well balanced. Put Michelin LTX premiers 235/60/18 and they are very nice. Best all season rating for wet and light snow. Unbelievably quiet and a huge change from the OE Duelers. Only drawback are some reviews that say they don’t get the guaranteed 60k miles. In terms of off road they are sold as an upgrade pkg on Trail Hawks ...going fishing in Montana in September and will test whether they work well on dirt trails. Will try to attach a pic below.

Looks good. Do you have a full side profile picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
I bought General RT43's for their all-season capability (especially snow) and have been happy so for. They seem to have a slightly softer and deeper tread than most comparable tires which leads me to believe they have a bit more capability in snow and light off roading. We just returned from a 12,000 mile road trip through the western states and Canada with no traction issues. They handled high speeds on rough roads, moderate gravel/fire road climbing and rough terrain, small creek crossings, plus I think they are very quiet and compliant on road. I'd recommend at least considering them for your vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
I'm currently in AZ on vacation and running the Michelin Premiers. I've been through thunderstorms while on paved roads, on unpaved roads, no rain but rocky rut filled roads for miles, dry highway at 80 mph in 108 degree heat and even used X Mode for some dirt roads. Back to SoCal freeways later today.

Verdict: "Hey Pharrell, come over here and do your song."

I'm also working on a new ad slogan for SOA which is "Where there's adventure you'll find a Subaru."

I'm not going to trademark that but you read it here first and can say, "I know that dude."

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Im in the Bay Area and have identical tire needs. My current set are probably the top favorite out of 18yrs running Subarus.

BFG Advantage AT Sports. Available every where, cheaper than Michelins but BFG and Michelin come out of the same factory. They are kind of a hybrid tread between a highway tire and a off road tread. They get light shoulder tread but not enough to impact mileage or handling. I have about 30,000 on mine now. Tahoe snow they were good. They have not worn fast or un even like my past tires on hot and heavily loaded road trips I bump the rears to 37psi when I tow my 1200-1500lb trailer. They handled a muddy nasty dump run last winter surprisingly well. They have done many dirt trails to trail heads and river bars. I will be getting another set no question about it. Given the current wear Ill probably get 40-50,000 miles of safe tread life out of them. I have never seen more than 50,000 on a set of tires on my Subarus. Between our heavy road trips, several highway 1 trips that can add wear ie twisties 50k is pretty dang good. My oem tires never really were safe winter tread past 30-34,000 miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts