Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I was just looking over at SubyDude.com store for the heck of it. I talked to him the other day about being a vendor here and it looks like he will be very soon. Anyway I had heard that he had good prices on Rota Wheels and **** those people were right! :17: Anyway here are the wheels I want:

17" Rota Formels Gold w/polished trim ***$600 Shipped!!!***

Some WRX pics with wheels

Here's a link to the wheels at SubyDude.com

I thought they'd look nice on my OB, especially with the polished trim around the edge. Here's my dillema, I'm a bonehead when it comes to rims and tire sizes. I use the legendary Miata Tire Size calculator to try to figure out what 17" tires would fit best in the space of my original 225/60/16's. So far the 2005 OB spec 215/55/17 tires are looking like the best choice and that would be a good thing to have when I go to buy my next Outback. I would rather get a smaller tire for my current Outback, so the 215/55/17 would probably work the best.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on what tire size to get? I already know what tires I'll buy so no actual tire brand suggestions please.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cao Cao said:
So far the 2005 OB spec 215/55/17 tires are looking like the best choice and that would be a good thing to have when I go to buy my next Outback.

I think I read over at Nasioc that there was an outback chassis at the Detroit Auto Show and it was wearing 225/55/17's. The 215's are for the rest of the world. In the US we tend to get larger tires standard on the outback. At least, I think that has been the case with the current model.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Well, most of the Rotas for Subarus are 17" so you are most likely going to have to get that size if you want the fancy rims. Going to a 55 series is going to make the ride harsher for your thug wagon, but that's the price to pay for that kind of upgrade. You might want to go to 50 series if you get 17" to keep the overall circumference close to stock (for speedo and such) The plus one from 225/60/16 is what, 225 to 235/50/17. Tire prices rise good when you get into 50 series also. The Rota Formels are nice, and real close colors to your stock rims IIRC. Steel grey in color would also look good on the beast. Brian

Edit--I guess the 55 series would be closer to overall stock size.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Wheels and Tires: I NEED HELP!!!

injektilo said:

I think I read over at Nasioc that there was an outback chassis at the Detroit Auto Show and it was wearing 225/55/17's. The 215's are for the rest of the world. In the US we tend to get larger tires standard on the outback. At least, I think that has been the case with the current model.
Yes you are correct about the 225/55/17's on the 2005 OB. I checked the size as compared to that of my car (225/60/16) and they are marginally larger, by a VERY small margin FYI. Yes I think those would suffice and probably work better than a smaller tire.

So what does everyone think of the rims? Remember that the OEM rims on my OB are polished with gold inserts but the primary color is the polished aluminum. This is just the opposite with the Rota's, all gold except the outside egde which is polished. Does anyone think that would be too much gold? Don't smack me for saying that, I'm all about the Subaru Rally Heritage or else I wouldn't even consider these rims. I'll post a pic of my car in here as a refresher:

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bheinz57 said:
The Rota Formels are nice, and real close colors to your stock rims IIRC. Steel grey in color would also look good on the beast. Brian

Edit--I guess the 55 series would be closer to overall stock size.
Odd, Brian you posted while I was writing my last reply so don't think I'm a moron for saying all that I did without seeing your post ;)

Anyway, I saw this wheel originally at Sublime when I was getting my intake done. They were in the steel gray color, I thought they looked nice and would look good on my car. I was looking on the Rota website at them, but they didn't come in gold or so the website said at the time. Although when I went to Suby Dude's store and saw the goldies, I just plain fell in love :10: Brian do you know anyone in Omaha with the same color of gold Rota's? If the gold is similiar (or hopefully better) I will order these ASAP just so they can sit in my room and look pretty until I get tires :D

Also going back to being a bonehead, will these rims fit my OB as the rims have a +48mm offset? I'm thinking that Subaru's all have the same offset although like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to wheels and tires :bonk:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think the wheels are pretty sweet. I'll be honest, I've never been a huge fan of gold wheels but those look pretty nice. I've always kinda' liked anthracite wheels. Maybe you could post a side profile of your car and then let some photoshop experts put various wheels on. Do we have any photoshop experts in here?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Kevin, there are/were a couple guys with that gold color of rim. One I believe had the Formels-Chad Cole on his WRB WRX. Go look in the member pics on NSOC. Although I haven't seen him for months, though. You know, the only gold on your wagon is the rims. You could change the color and change the whole outlook of your thug wagon. Steel grey...even with a polished lip. On the 'Dudes website, go into the wheel gallery section, there are some Legacy's with 17" rims. Brian

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Brian, the Outback and H6-3.0 badges on my car are gold. They aren't bright, so they don't match my wheel's gold although they complement it pretty well so I'll stick with gold rims.

My next question is this: The tires I'm looking at are Michelin Hydroedges which are highly praised by many and fittingly come in size 225/55/17 although they are rated as 95T. My RE-92s are 97H, could the load and speed difference be compensated by increasing the air pressure? That is what the Michelin site says although I don't know if its healthy for the tire in the long run. Seeing how this is a slightly larger tire it may not make that much of a difference, also even though my car is governed at 120 MPH it still has H rated (130 MPH) RE-92's. I don't and probably won't take my car over 100 let alone 90 if that, so the load factor is what concerns me. Any opinions or comments are welcome :cool:

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
Not sure if '05 info is different from what might be there now, but www.tirerack.com will not only have info to help keep the rotations the same from 'plus sizing' wheel/tire sizes but you can even load your car, select a body color and see what diffewrent wheels look like on it! Kinda cool. (though I don't recall seeing the Rotas)
fyi

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Carl, Tire Rack-no Rota. Kevin, do not get anything less than the stock load rating for your vehicle. Match or surpass the load rating. It's not as easy as just putting more air pressure in the tires. Check other tire brands in the size you want, and what's this hydroedge junk? Get some real tires. How are the Yokohama Geolanders that come on the Forester now....Peaty?!?
I would research the tire part a little better, you don't need any kind of 'rain' tire (hydroedge) unless you live where it rains 200-230 days a year. I would definitely check the load ratins on the tires also to make sure they meet or surpass them 97H. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Kevin, Subydude is having a sale-17" Rota Tarmacs

Those would look good! Package pricing w/tires from him also. I just don't know what tires in all season. Gold is cool. Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
Cao Cao,

On my previous spec Outback H6, the original wheels/tyres were 16x7 (offset 48mm) with 215/60's. I notice in the US you got 225/60 x 16 on the same type rims for the previous spec H6 Outbacks (and 2.5's as well). I changed these for 17x7 rims (45mm offset) with 235/50 Bridgestone Potenza RE040. These are very good tyres and are quieter than the original Yokohama Geolanders and the difference in the way they handle is just chalk and cheese. The 235/50 x 17 with the 45mm offset rims looked very nice too. They were champagne gold on a pearl white montone H6.

As you know, I now have the new spec H6 and the original wheel/tyre combo is 17x7 (48 offset) with 215/55 Yokohama Geolanders. These ride well but are again noisy and don't handle all that well. I have since transferred the 235/50 Bridgestones onto the original rims and the difference was as before, much better (and they look better on the rims too).

I would suggest you go for the new rims with a 45mm offset and 17x8 if possible. These will fit and fill the guards nicely and give it a nice wide muscular stance. I am very happy with the Bridgestone Potenza RE040's and I'm sure you will be if on road performance is what you're looking for.:4:

Lance

·
Registered
172 Posts
Cao Cao,

Also I forgot to mention the load rating of the 235/50 Bridgestone Potenza's is correct as well. They are 96W where the standards are 95H.:)

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well as far as the Hydroedges go, they are Michelin's best passenger tire right now. They are rated as 10's across the board except they have snow traction rated at 8, although most people say that they are exceptional in the snow. Like I said beforehand they are 95T's, 118 MPH (my car only goes 120 which I'll never have it even near to) and 95 load rating of 1521 lbs. as compared to the stock 97 of 1609 lbs. Its less than 100 lbs of difference and the speed rating doesn't even matter. I really want to get these tires but if someone thinks its a bad idea (hopefully based on personal experience) I may go another way. The tires seem to be very nice and have an 85k treadlife, any other thoughts are welcome :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Cao Cao,

The problem with going to a lower rated tyre is that it may void your insurance if you have an accident which is your fault. At least that is the way it is here in Oz. Anyway, what does the tyre placard read? If it states that you must have the 97H rated tyre then you will have to use a tyre of at least that capacity

Having now looked at Peaty's post, it looks as though the US spec Outbacks with their 225/60 tyres are rated at 97H as opposed to the Aussie specs which are 215/60 and rated at 95H. The reason behind the rating difference apparently comes down to the fact that the more air capacity in a tyre at normal rated pressure gives that tyre a higher load rating. A rep from Bridgestone gave me this piece of info. So, as you can see, the US spec 225/60's have more air capacity than the Aussie spec of 215/60 and thus the higher rating.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys I did some more looking around and have seen many good things about Continental tires. For the 225/55/17, Continental has the CV95 and CH95 both have a 97 load rating and are speed rated at V and H of course. These are stock tires on many new cars and many people speak of them very highly. They are also very cheap, ~$100 ($95 for CV95's at TireRack.com). Does anyone have any experiece eith these or any Continental tires? They seem like a good bet to me, if not these I will probably go ahead and get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's even if they are $150+.

I have nixed the idea of getting tires without the propper speed and load rating, I've read some bad things about people doing that :(

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Kevin, when I replace my stock tires, I'm going with Continental. Contiextreme Contact to be exact. Look at those reviews on the Tire Rack. Only $75 in my size, and rated extremely well in all conditions including snow. Brian

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bheinz57 said:
Kevin, when I replace my stock tires, I'm going with Continental. Contiextreme Contact to be exact. Look at those reviews on the Tire Rack. Only $75 in my size, and rated extremely well in all conditions including snow. Brian
Well I haven't been able to find any tire with a better value than the Conti's. High ratings, good reviews, and excellent pricing... I'm sold :D

Well I think I've finally got the tire situation straight! If anyone has anything else to add to this discussion of course feel free to :D

Also, not to screw SubyDude out of a sale, does anyone know where I can get these exact wheels for less than $600 shipped? I haven't seen any place having them for less so far, although I'm trying to reinvigorate a former Rota group buy on another site.

*EDIT: I had to add this pic I just found at i-club, from the same WRX guy. **** these wheels look soo nice!!! :20:

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I was just looking around at some more tires and now I'm quite interested in the Nokian WR A/S tires. They come in 225/55/17's with a 101V rating. Also, they also have a M/S (mud & snow) rating as well. I've read many reviews and people say that they are awesome in the snow (like all Nokians), pretty decent offroad, and very comfortable onroad. Quiet, grippy, and at a decent price (~$125). Nokians seem to be a pretty decent brand although the distributor network is small still there are a few places in Nebraska where I can get some.

Anybody have any experience with Nokian tires?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
9 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing