Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I love the black wheels of the Onyx but I had to have the Napa Leather soo...ended up with the Touring XT. I HATE the wheels that come with so planning on getting an upgrade from Tire Rack. Looking for opinions on these Motegi:

I don't want to go bigger so 18's gotta be.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Hello all,

I love the black wheels of the Onyx but I had to have the Napa Leather soo...ended up with the Touring XT. I HATE the wheels that come with so planning on getting an upgrade from Tire Rack. Looking for opinions on these Motegi:

View attachment 489306

I don't want to go bigger so 18's gotta be.
The Motegi MR143 CS6 look fine to me. Tire Rack doesn't list their weight but Motegi's website does, at 23.79 pounds.

If price is not an issue then the Method MR503 is much lighter, at 17.8 pounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Motegi MR143 CS6 look fine to me. Tire Rack doesn't list their weight but Motegi's website does, at 23.79 pounds.

If price is not an issue then the Method MR503 is much lighter, at 17.8 pounds.

View attachment 489374
I’m looking at thes same wheels, but they are soo pricey. I’d like to find something similar that is under 20lbs that doesn’t break the bank.
Curious what the OP decided on

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I’m looking at thes same wheels, but they are soo pricey. I’d like to find something similar that is under 20lbs that doesn’t break the bank.
I found the Enkei Tuning Kojin at 20 pounds, black, 231.08 each, looks similar to the Motegi.

One of the great things about Tire Rack is that you can sort the wheels by WEIGHT, and filter by color, size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the Motegi wheels. They are sitting on my shed as tirerack/asap tire dropped the ball with the TPMS service kit so the install is delayed. Basically, you have to get new stems as they detach from the TPMS sensor itself. ASAP tire coordinated with tire rack and now waiting on shipping to them/schedule installation. I will post pictures once they are on!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
3 Posts
I got the Motegi wheels. They are sitting on my shed as tirerack/asap tire dropped the ball with the TPMS service kit so the install is delayed. Basically, you have to get new stems as they detach from the TPMS sensor itself. ASAP tire coordinated with tire rack and now waiting on shipping to them/schedule installation. I will post pictures once they are on!
Sounds like you could reuse the TPMS though - just needed valve stems? Do you know which ones you needed? I'm looking at the exact same wheel (those and the LP Adventure LP2) and would have the same issue. I like the black look - asked about the Onyx wheels and they were....ummm...pricey.

And you're using the stock Yokohama's with them?

Any more specifics you can give I'd appreciate!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you could reuse the TPMS though - just needed valve stems? Do you know which ones you needed? I'm looking at the exact same wheel (those and the LP Adventure LP2) and would have the same issue. I like the black look - asked about the Onyx wheels and they were....ummm...pricey.

And you're using the stock Yokohama's with them?

Any more specifics you can give I'd appreciate!
Yes the TPMS sensor will be reused. The valve stems need to be the right kind so they fit the sensor. I found them online for like $6 each from Subaru. I can find the link if you need it. ASAP tire called and Tirerack sent them the service kit (stems) free of charge and now I am scheduled for this Tuesday.It just took forever! I will be using the same Yokohama's for now. I will decide whether to keep them or not after I drive the in some snow, for now, they seem good enough. Those LP's are super rad. However they seem to come with a warning from tire rack:

I would, personally, stay away as I don't want to change my Outback that much. Personal choice of course.

I will make a more detailed post once I get them installed with some pics. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
3 Posts
Yes the TPMS sensor will be reused. The valve stems need to be the right kind so they fit the sensor. I found them online for like $6 each from Subaru. I can find the link if you need it. ASAP tire called and Tirerack sent them the service kit (stems) free of charge and now I am scheduled for this Tuesday.It just took forever! I will be using the same Yokohama's for now. I will decide whether to keep them or not after I drive the in some snow, for now, they seem good enough. Those LP's are super rad. However they seem to come with a warning from tire rack:
View attachment 491260
I would, personally, stay away as I don't want to change my Outback that much. Personal choice of course.

I will make a more detailed post once I get them installed with some pics. I hope this helps!
Thanks - much apreciate the info. If you run across the link the to the stems, definitely drop it in here. I have a feeling - knowing my luck - that my place would never find the right ones. And great point on the LP2's. I saw that, but after digging I thought that might be a general warning on their products (their website seems to cater to lifts) and likely wouldn't require more modification. But why risk it I guess. The Motegi's looks great too, so they are likely the direction I'd go.

Thanks again -

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks - much apreciate the info. If you run across the link the to the stems, definitely drop it in here. I have a feeling - knowing my luck - that my place would never find the right ones. And great point on the LP2's. I saw that, but after digging I thought that might be a general warning on their products (their website seems to cater to lifts) and likely wouldn't require more modification. But why risk it I guess. The Motegi's looks great too, so they are likely the direction I'd go.

Thanks again -
Here is the link from the dealer: https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-accessories_tpms_stem_ay-28194fj001.html I got the wheels installed and they look rad. I will wash the car this weekend take some pics and post them here.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
235 Posts
I have the Autumn Green Onxy and thinking about the Sparco Terras in either gold or bronze or the Assetto Gara wheels with some Falkens. Just can't make up my mind which ones look better.

Update. I went with the Sparco Terras in black but down sized to a 17. The wife loves blacked out cars and I showed them to her and got instant approval! If you can swing it, I'd get the Method MR503's and slap some Wildpeaks on them!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Finally got around to post some pics. The weather didn't cooperate last weekend. I am happy with the outcome. I am pondering now if I should do some vinyl blackout of the grill, perhaps the mirrors. I know I liked better the look of the Onyx but I wanted the luxurious interior/amenities of the Touring. Call me a sucker for checking on all the boxes on the order sheet :p. Let me know what you fine folks think:

·
Registered
28 Posts
alexm_cr_subie
Your outback looks great. I think I’m going to pull the trigger and get the method MR 503‘s taking advantage of their Labor Day pricing. I’m prob going with the falken wild peak A/T Trail tires, but I’m not quite sure what size to go with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow those look great, congrats! Was wondering if you guys would mind if I piggy back with some rookie questions: I've ordered a OB Touring XT and also interested in getting some custom rims and tires. Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you do with the stock wheels? Are you able to sell them back/trade them in? And if so, it would seem this would be wise to do soon after getting the new car, so stock equipment would be like new? Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
235 Posts
Wow those look great, congrats! Was wondering if you guys would mind if I piggy back with some rookie questions: I've ordered a OB Touring XT and also interested in getting some custom rims and tires. Maybe this is a stupid question but what do you do with the stock wheels? Are you able to sell them back/trade them in? And if so, it would seem this would be wise to do soon after getting the new car, so stock equipment would be like new? Thanks
Most folks either sell them as I am doing or use them as a dedicated set for snow tires and rotate them out yearly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah same here. I used to have a dedicated snow tires set but then you have to deal with TPMs sensors re-pair. Or do without altogether. My old infiniti needed a trip to the dealer to re-pair sensors + car, it was a drag. I don't know how Subaru does it. I am hoping the Yokohama s prove to be good enough with the AWD of the Subaru to not need a dedicated winter set. Also situations have changed as now I work from home (Covid) so the need for winter driving is minimal. Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
88 Posts
...I am hoping the Yokohama s prove to be good enough with the AWD of the Subaru to not need a dedicated winter set. ..
All Wheel Drive doesn't improve braking capabilities. Stock Avid GT tires only have a UTQG Traction rating "B".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tons of rim options in all price ranges: BBS, Method, LP Adventure, Enkei, Sparco, XXR. Personally love the BBS and Sparco options but they tend to cost more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts