• New 17"

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to outfit my Outback for more rugged terrain for weekend trips / camping / light overlanding. It's also my daily driver (50 mi/day on freeway).

I'm fairly set on Geolandar G015's as the right tire for handling some dirt without sacrificing much on pavement.

Is it worth picking up a new set of 17" wheels for the Geolandar's or will my 18" suffice? It's a significant cost/space burden to store an extra set of wheels and I'm wondering if the extra 0.5" of sidewall is worth it right now.

Has anyone successfully run A/T tires on their 18" wheels? Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
188 Posts
My 2015 Outback with Sparco Terra wheels and 225/65-17 G015 tires.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
Looking to outfit my Outback for more rugged terrain for weekend trips / camping / light overlanding. It's also my daily driver (50 mi/day on freeway).

I'm fairly set on Geolandar G015's as the right tire for handling some dirt without sacrificing much on pavement.

Is it worth picking up a new set of 17" wheels for the Geolandar's or will my 18" suffice? It's a significant cost/space burden to store an extra set of wheels and I'm wondering if the extra 0.5" of sidewall is worth it right now.

Has anyone successfully run A/T tires on their 18" wheels? Any other thoughts?

Yes, 0.5" make a big difference in two ways. First, they increase comfort everywhere. Second, they make a big difference if you have to air down.

That said, I did a lot on 255 55 18s on the B9 on Toyo ATs and I never had any issues (no airing down though and nothing nearly as rough as what I do in the OB, mostly dirt roads in dry and really wet/muddy weather with a couple of easy, mildly rocky HC trails).

225 65 17 seems to me the minimum for rougher terrain but I doubt you will want to go there stock anyway. In addition, I don't know if you would want to run the G015s at low pressures as SOP (I only do that with the KO2s).

If you plan any 4WD HC roads on regular basis, then I would go with a 2" lift and 17" wheels and KO2s. Upgraded brake pads would not hurt either.

Reactions: HMNYC

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R, Dark Blue Pearl
14 Posts
Have you made a decision yet? I am in the same boat, and very curious what you decide to go with. I learned I was looking at the tire stats numbers all wrong (first new car in 15 years and I haven't bought anything but simple OE tires in a long time!)

My current leaning is to go with 235/60R18 G015s based on other people's experiences I've read about on here, and emptying the last bits in my pockets to have them recalibrate the speedometer for me. Hopefully something like that isn't too pricey.

Happy to be in the Subaru family, but want to be safe in the snow up to Tahoe and able to explore the backcountry in national parks. Only tame off-roading for us :)

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
16 Posts
I have run the Geolanders on the stock 18's and now on Method 17's. I went with 235 width both times. I have had no issues and have been very happy with both set ups. I like having the 17" wheel so I can go with even more aggressive tires in the future and I didn't love the stock look.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have run the Geolanders on the stock 18's and now on Method 17's. I went with 235 width both times. I have had no issues and have been very happy with both set ups. I like having the 17" wheel so I can go with even more aggressive tires in the future and I didn't love the stock look.
Glad to hear! Do you have any pictures of the Geolandars' on the stock 18"? Any noticeable off-pavement differences when you switched?

I'm in no hurry and won't be doing anything past forest roads, so my cost-effective plan is stock 18" + Geolandars for now, and when I run through those I'll think about 17" + more aggressive + lift + etc...

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
The stock sized tires should be plenty comfortable enough on forest roads, at stock pressures.

But if you do sand, then you will want the taller tire on the smaller wheel.

You won't need a lift except for 4x4 roads and even then you will want to ask yourself if you do enough roads that are 1/4x4 and 2/suitable for a lifted Subaru to justify the lift. You can handle easy trails stock (though not always easily) and you will not want to try any difficult surface terrain even with the 2" lift (some difficult trails are simply narrow so those are doable). Basically, the 2" lift only helps if you do a lot of moderate 4x4 trails and plenty of easy ones (where it reduces fatigue). Otherwise, just renting a Wrangler a couple of times per year might be much better.

Reactions: mosovich
1 - 7 of 7 Posts