Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium M6, 19mm,
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to mount some winter tires to some wheels. I would like to know what indication would I get when driving? Just the visual indicator that I can put tape over or is there an audio warning that will drive me nuts?

I tried just removing a wheel and nothing happened, I understand the vehicle must be moving to get TPMS readings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been running aftermarket tires and rims with no TPMS for about the last 5k miles. The only thing I get is the TPMS dash light that I just ignore. I'm sure there will be posts to follow on how that is a dumb thing to do:rolleyes:

I just take a walk around the car to make sure all 4 tires look good and check the pressure manually every weekend. I'm a risk taker like that;)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium M6, 19mm,
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good, one thread said to tell the wife that the indicator meant we were running snow tires :) I like that.

Cars have lived without TPMS for over 100 years, mine should be fine for 4 months out of a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a question about TPMS and aftermarket wheels.

Will having the TPMS light on cause me to fail safety inspections?

If I purchase new wheels, could I reuse the sensors in the stock wheels or do I have to purchase new ones?

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can transfer the TPMS devices to your new wheels.

Not having TPMS working will cause you to fail most state inspections.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Ca does not have safety inspections and there is no Ca state law that makes it illegal to drive with the TPMS light illuminated.
It could be a federal violation but there is no enforcement. The only time disabling a TPMS might be an issue is after a collision. Attorneys, adjusters and insurance companies might frown on it and it could affect settlements and liability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts