Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT;..... 2002 BMW M Coupe
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I was tired with the hassle of taking my car to the dealer and shelling our $32 a pop. So I would do my own from now on. Fist off this is not something new for me, my Dad taught me how to change the oil in cars when I was 14 and I've been doing it regularly ever since. (I'm 49 now).

Everything was going well until the pan I drain my oil in sprung a leak it leaked about 1qt of dirty oil on the floor. I got that cleaned up and started to fill up the car with the new oil, well I didn't realize the fill tube was so small and I was pouring the oil faster than it could drain down, so I lost about another 1/2qt down on to the floor I just cleaned up.

By now I'm getting pretty mad at myself and accidentally over filled the motor. (I usually buy those 5gal jugs of oil). The only thing that saved me here is that I have an oil extractor and was able to suck out the additional oil through the dip stick.

So a simple 20 minute oil change ended up taking me about 2 hours after all the clean up and extraction.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I decided I was tired with the hassle of taking my car to the dealer and shelling our $32 a pop. So I would do my own from now on. Fist off this is not something new for me, my Dad taught me how to change the oil in cars when I was 14 and I've been doing it regularly ever since. (I'm 49 now).

Everything was going well until the pan I drain my oil in sprung a leak it leaked about 1qt of dirty oil on the floor. I got that cleaned up and started to fill up the car with the new oil, well I didn't realize the fill tube was so small and I was pouring the oil faster than it could drain down, so I lost about another 1/2qt down on to the floor I just cleaned up.

By now I'm getting pretty mad at myself and accidentally over filled the motor. (I usually buy those 5gal jugs of oil). The only thing that saved me here is that I have an oil extractor and was able to suck out the additional oil through the dip stick.

So a simple 20 minute oil change ended up taking me about 2 hours after all the clean up and extraction.
Zeta, I feel your pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts